Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Do you know... (OTA updates)

10der

Question

Just for your info:

Do you know... what

Please login or register to see this image.

"Fibaro gateway provides only firmware update for Fibaro modules:"

via Technical Support Engineer 

so. if you wanna update for example aeotec device you must have

0)  unpair device from HC2 (id lost)

1) USB Z-device

2) OTA updater

3) pair device to HC2 (with all the consequences that)

or

1) buy for example RaZberry

2) setup native sofware

3) unpair device

4) pair device with  RaZberry

5) upload bin update

6) unpair device

7) pair device device to HC2

profit. (crazy)

and the last question from me.

why any free (open) software allow manual update device firmware, but the commercial product can't?

• Thanks 1

7 answers to this question

Yes, it is strange that you cannot update non-fibaro items through the Homecenter. Imagine if you could not update firmware on a pc that was not from Microsoft?

• Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, Thomasn said:

Imagine if you could not update firmware on a pc that was not from Microsoft?

Please login or register to see this image.

3 hours ago, 10der said:

why any free (open) software allow manual update device firmware, but the commercial product can't?

well, then take any free open software, take e.g. Fibaro RGBW firmware (if you don't have it and don't know where you got it, send me PM) and try to update that Fibaro RGBW module on your free open software platform, i bet it will not work.

3 hours ago, 10der said:

i will explain you what's behind:

- any z-wave .hex file can be manipulated, so it's not really secure to update your home automation system with files from
      any other source than the manufacturer (and even here you never know)

- Fibaro is aware of this, so they encrypting their firmware to add additional level of security

- Fibaro update service does only support such encrypted files (that's why support told you "only for Fibaro modules")

- web download and ota might add sometimes additional risk (even if zwave bootloader can check firmware integrity, one can still burn broken files)

- for sure Fibaro could ask other manufacturers to get original hex files, and they could encrypt them, but here is another risk - is something get broken

(imagine they will get broken firmware from e.g. XYZ, and thousands of XYZ devices would get broken). To fix/replace own products, it's already risk and costly,

but to fix 3rd part products means huge extra costs. This will be better soon, when everybody is on newer z-wave plus firmwares.

3 hours ago, 10der said:

Due to Fibaro's warranty terms and conditions, it is not allowed to manipulate the system, that's why Fibaro Support can't tell you following:

"Having root you can copy 3rd part manufacturer firmware and run something like:"

Please login or register to see this code.

Sure, due to z-wave network activities you will fail multiple times, that's why is better to use stick with only the target deivce added.

3 hours ago, 10der said:

and the last question from me.

I hope i was able to eliminate your lack of knowledge about what HC hardware could and can't do, and why is the situation like that (for now)

Edited by tinman

2 hours ago, Thomasn said:

Yes, it is strange that you cannot update non-fibaro items through the Homecenter. Imagine if you could not update firmware on a pc that was not from Microsoft?

Edited by akatar

• Inquirer
  • 54 minutes ago, tinman said:

I hope i was able to eliminate your lack of knowledge about what HC hardware could and can't do, and why is the situation like that (for now)

got it... but didn't get on too well, I'm affraid. sorry, but look like you persuade yourself that it's ok, and you like it :)

and it' like a holly wars with salesmen of religion Apple & Android...  but anyway. thank you for the reply.

6 hours ago, 10der said:

but look like you persuade yourself that it's ok, and you like it :)

istn't, but having other possibilities i can live with that.

Guest FredrikKarlsson
    14 hours ago, Thomasn said:

This is not entirely accurate actually. I can, for instance, update my plugin switch from Aeon labs perfectly fine, and it seems also my Zipato RGBW bulb (although it is not ON now, so I cannot check remotely).

My Qubino gen5 dimmer does not work even though it should, but who is surprised about that really considering how well Qubino and Fibaro seems to get along.

So basically, while what @tinman stated could have been true in theory, I think it is safe to assume that it depends on whether your company and Fibaro has an agreement or not.

Zipato for instance is not such a big player in the non-controller hardware space so that Fibaro would be forced to support them no matter what in order to not have a terrible product. 

12 hours ago, tinman said:

will explain you what's behind:

- any z-wave .hex file can be manipulated, so it's not really secure to update your home automation system with files from
      any other source than the manufacturer (and even here you never know)

- Fibaro is aware of this, so they encrypting their firmware to add additional level of security

- Fibaro update service does only support such encrypted files (that's why support told you "only for Fibaro modules")

- web download and ota might add sometimes additional risk (even if zwave bootloader can check firmware integrity, one can still burn broken files)

- for sure Fibaro could ask other manufacturers to get original hex files, and they could encrypt them, but here is another risk - is something get broken

(imagine they will get broken firmware from e.g. XYZ, and thousands of XYZ devices would get broken). To fix/replace own products, it's already risk and costly,

but to fix 3rd part products means huge extra costs. This will be better soon, when everybody is on newer z-wave plus firmwares.

I for one would like to be able to update my Qubino devices in the future, and have templates, but that still seems like wishful thinking (right @Fibaro ?)