Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Homecenter 2 on POE+?

Guest FredrikKarlsson

Question

Guest FredrikKarlsson

For me, the physical appearance of the home center 2 is an issue that I think Fibaro did not consider. I don’t like tech stuff actually, and having a home center 2 displayed front and center is just not an option. I realize that the design helps sales, but I stick it in a cupboard where no one can see it, underneath a shelf. I would also not place my fuse box in the center of a room, no matter the level of fantastic visual design that went into the process of making it.

Now, running power to the home center in its central position in the house has always been a bit awkward,, and I realize that actually the power supply provided by Fibaro (4 amps at 12Volts) is actually overkill for the device. Being informed of power consumption is my thing, and it seems that the home center itself really just needs about 15W, which places it well withings the range of supplying power to it the Ethernet cable and POE+.

Has anyone tried it?

Edited by FredrikKarlsson

13 answers to this question

If i'm correct the HC2 have a standard ethernet port witch is not PoE.

I upgraded my home netwok to Ubiquity with also a UniFi 16 PoE-150w swich so i'm able to test it if there is a solution.

I'm not aware there is something of a "reverse adapter" for ethernet ports only thing I know the PoE injector adapters exist.

edit:

I see a splitter now, will order one and test it after X-mass

Edited by D-Vine

I don't know about your House, but I put my HomeCenter 2, Hue Hub and many other electronics in the garage for testing. And after nearly 3 Years its still out there because it works, very well in every corner of the house. I think its very situational what works best, but also z-wave is quite a capable mesh network. If I finished everything else, I maybe put my hc2 and the other stuff in a more centric location because I have prepared a separate place for it. But in my case, there seems to be no need :)

I believe the HC2 is still using an Intel mainboard and processor. May be necessary to check out the technical specifications of the mainboard. Not too sure if 1.5A will actually allow the system to boot up since Intel boards tend to have strict power requirements.

Check this thread -> 

PoE+ (802.3at) has maximum output power of 25.5 Watts (48 VDC at 0.52 Amps). If the HC2 is using the Intel DN2800MT board, it roughly requires a power budget of approximately 50W.

Edited by chaicka

Guest FredrikKarlsson
  • Inquirer
  • 15 hours ago, chaicka said:

PoE+ (802.3at) has maximum output power of 25.5 Watts (48 VDC at 0.52 Amps). If the HC2 is using the Intel DN2800MT board, it roughly requires a power budget of approximately 50W.

Ok, so that’s why the power supply is 4amps then.

On 12/24/2017 at 7:36 AM, FredrikKarlsson said:

but I stick it in a cupboard where no one can see it, underneath a shelf.

I think it dissipates about 10-15 W idle, so you might want to measure case temperature when idle and also under load...

Guest FredrikKarlsson
  • Inquirer
  • 3 hours ago, petergebruers said:

I think it dissipates about 10-15 W idle, so you might want to measure case temperature when idle and also under load...

I'm not sure I follow you here @petergebruers. Do i need to check the temp of the case you think? 

Ok, so this is the curve of the power drawn from the HC2 when in use. Its measured using a Z-wave power metering devices, so I can't for obvious reasons know what the power draw is when booting up.

I don't have a non-z-wave power meter actually - would it be possible for someone who does possess a power meter of the ordinary kind to have a look at the actual power consumption of the HC2? 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Guest FredrikKarlsson
  • Inquirer
  • On 2017-12-24 at 5:19 PM, chaicka said:

If the HC2 is using the Intel DN2800MT board, it roughly requires a power budget of approximately 50W

Sorry but I need to ask where you got this number from. I found this document

Please login or register to see this link.

which suggests a much lower power consumption than 50W. About half actually.

We can’t of course know which one is the correct one without doing some measurements on an actual HC2, but i see a small sliver of hope here myself. Does anyone have some real data on this ?

On 2017-12-24 at 3:40 PM, PreHack said:

I think its very situational what works best, but also z-wave is quite a capable mesh network.

Ok, it’s depends on the house size and constructional details of course. In my house I would for sure get into trouble due to the maximum of 4 hops. I can barely reach the far end of the house (the garage) even from my centrally placed location, so moving the controller towards one edge of the network is not an option for me I don’t think. 

20 hours ago, FredrikKarlsson said:

Sorry but I need to ask where you got this number from. I found this document

which suggests a much lower power consumption than 50W. About half actually.

It is just an estimation based on technical specifications. 50W may likely be not accurate since we do not know what are all the components in the HC2.

References:

• Like 1

On 12/25/2017 at 4:09 PM, FredrikKarlsson said:

I'm not sure I follow you here @petergebruers. Do i need to check the temp of the case you think? 

Yes, I think it might get too hot... It all depends on airflow. The unit was designed to be passively cooled, free standing... I'd say you're putting 15 Watt on average in a closed environment, which is not exactly "a lot" but also not to be neglected.

Here is an old topic (2015) with some numbers and ideas.

A little bit later than expected but today I put my HC2 on a PoE+ switch UniFi Switch 16 POE-150W.

Starting up well, and first hour everything works. The only thing I aspect trouble (if it comes) is on the z-wave range, because this could be asking more or less power that you can't control.

I see the port 7 max to 14,06 and mostly on 12,46W now

Test run is on! 8-)

Edited by D-Vine

Thank you for trying this.Years ago I measured power consurmption to be 15 W give or take a few W. So this confirms your measurement. I think it is mainly influenced by CPU load but I did not measure that. The Z-Wave part takes less then 0.2 W so that should be OK.

• Like 1

Hi all,

for my primary HC2, I have a regular UPS (

with a RaspberryPi connected via USB that alerts me of power failures. For my secondary HC2, though, I don't have room for the UPS so I'm looking at this one

which is essentially a 12V power adapter capable of 15W with an integrated 8800 mAH battery - I would then add a Zwave power plug so that in my main HC2 I can detect when power fails (PowerPlug consumption = 0 should work even if PowerPlug is without current) and launch a shutdown scene.

Has anyone tried this kind of mini-UPS with HC2? from the thread above it seems 15W should be enough...

Thanks!
    Riccardo

On 2/13/2020 at 10:45 AM, rcanetta said:

Hi all,

for my primary HC2, I have a regular UPS (

with a RaspberryPi connected via USB that alerts me of power failures. For my secondary HC2, though, I don't have room for the UPS so I'm looking at this one

which is essentially a 12V power adapter capable of 15W with an integrated 8800 mAH battery - I would then add a Zwave power plug so that in my main HC2 I can detect when power fails (PowerPlug consumption = 0 should work even if PowerPlug is without current) and launch a shutdown scene.

Has anyone tried this kind of mini-UPS with HC2? from the thread above it seems 15W should be enough...

Thanks!
    Riccardo

Hi,

I bought this mini-UPS

and it works great for HC2 meaning that it powers HC2 and is also able to keep it running if mains power fails (haven't tested yet for how many minutes). Now I just realised that the power plug doesn't report zero consuption when mains fails, so if I want to detect when power fails I need to connect an old relay to a Fibaro UBS or SmartImplant...

Hope it helps!
    R