Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SOLVED]Use 1 Sx cable connected to multiple Dimmers?

Archidee

Question

Question:

Can I use 1 Sx cable connected to multiple Dimmers? (figure 1)

Or can I  connect it to 1 Dimmer to feed multiple S# (figure 2)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

3 answers to this question

Hi @Archidee!

Welcome to our community!

I must admit I haven't tested this solution but when the S1 is disconnected the power goes to Sx, in this case, randomly switched off dimmers could influence the other dimmers.

As far as figure 2 is considered, without Sx, the circuit is not complete.

What Mr @I.Srodka said, plus:

Short answer: it is a violation of the schematic diagrams in the manual, so the safe answer is "your schematic diagrams are not OK so please do not do that".

But let's dig a bit deeper... It might cause a short circuit.

Sx is at the same potential as L (the resistance between L an Sx is negligible). If some of your "L" on that schematic diagram belong to different circuits (they go to different circuit breakers) that is a major error. If you open one breaker, current will flow through the other breaker. It is a complete no-go! Even worse, if you have a three phase supply, they might be called L1 L2 and L3 and that will cause a short circuit.

If you are desperate, because you cannot add a wire (for Sx), there is still one thing you can try, but you cannot complain if it does not work or cause flickering or random turn-on or turn-off as mentioned before... If all "L" and "N" are identical, on one and only one circuit breaker (all dimmers) then you can connect switches between any L and any S. I have not implemented this solution, but it has been mentioned a few times on this forum, but not with that many switches and certainly not with two or more dimmers. I also think you'll have long cable runs and it might cause issues with turn on and turn off.

• Inquirer
  • Ok thanks. Does not seem a valid option.

Any script available to pair a S2 switch of one dimmer as a virtual switch to a real S1 switch of another dimmer via zwave directly or via the HC2?

(Will post as a seperate question)

Edited by Archidee