Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Correct battery change procedure?

DinoKustas

Hi all,

I'm suddenly in a position where a lot of my sensors are showing low battery - which makes sense having bought a lot of them around the same time.

I'm currently very nervous to change any of the batteries because there hasn't been a single time that I've changed a battery and had no issues with sensors. Door sensors in particular, it seems as though I change the battery, the sensor works for a few days before becoming unresponsive and ultimately killing the battery very quickly. This then leads to me being required to do a full reset of the module, delete/remove from Fibaro, scenes etc. Then re-add to Fibaro and redo all of the associated scenes, restarting the controller in between to ensure a clean removal and re-add.

Now I have 2 x motion sensors and 3 x door sensors which need to be replaced - what am I actually supposed to do to ensure a smooth battery swap, without having to delete/add the device again, or risk having an unresponsive sensor that kills batteries again.

I've had a quick search and the only real advice I have seen is to keep the door open when changing the sensor, but nothing really official or obvious.

So, please do tell me how you change your sensor's batteries to ensure they have no issues, so I can try on some of mine.

Thanks

I have replaced the batteries for my motion and smoke sensors. I take the old one out and replace it with a new one. I have no issues with replacing the batteries.

Hi @DinoKustas,

I have replaced some batteries on my door/window sensors, motion sensors, smoke sensors and no problems. I usually have my laptop with me when replacing battery so I can see if sensor wake up after battery is inserted and send new status. If not then I remove battery, wait a little bit and reinsert it again. Sometimes it takes three times before I get "transfer OK" message and green battery on HC2 web GUI interface.

For older version of door/window sensor it is recommended to keep door or window open during battery replacement since magnet is used in reset procedure, but for latest version that is not necessary any more.

For door/window sensors it is also important to check if tamper switch on the back of sensor is pressed properly specially if adhesive tape is used for fixing.

Motion sensors usually glow blue after new battery is inserted, but if not you can always press button to wake it up to send fresh status data.

All important data about sensors and battery replacement if there is any special procedure you can find here:

Please login or register to see this link.

If nothing is mentioned then simple remove cover, replace battery and reinstate cover should be OK.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

• Topic Author
  • Many thanks for the input @Sankotronic 

I will be looking to replace them this weekend and so will follow your post - very much makes sense.

• 2 weeks later...

I had 8 door/window sensors in my house 3 years ago and they worked properly. After batteries run out of power I replaced batteries without any special procedure. After that 1001 issue happened and at the end I decided to pull out all door/window sensors and not to use them anymore. :) 

Sankotronic desribed it well and new version sensors are good. But old ones were trouble. I had to find it out on harder way not to replace battery if magnet is anywhere near (window closed).

Edited by plutonium