Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HUE power consumption - how to get it?

Joystick

Question

Hi all,

is there a way to receive the power status of the hue bulb? E.g. If I turn my lights off via a fibaro relay, I would like to see if the hue light is actually supplied with power or not...

cheers

2 answers to this question

Hi @Joystick,

The only way to see if HUE bulb is powered off is to check in Philips HUE original app if it is unreachable. Of course that is not reliable since sometimes bulbs can be reported as unreachable with power still on. Other way is to use switch with power consumption measuring but I consider that as wasting money since HUE bulbs does not require to be switched off from power to be turned off. Actually if you switch them off with switch or relay then you will not be able to control them remotely any more.

It is possible that I don't see something here so I must ask, why you need that in the first place?

• Inquirer
  • HI, well

I created some work around, exactly because I have some (three ceiling Lamps in Kitchen) hue Bulbs on a physical switch/Relay.

There I had some issues that Hue does not remember its color etc, and also that switching via Alexa is tricky because you have to actually use the "name" of the switch which is not that nice... Thus:

I use a Fibaro Relay Switch2 with S1 and S2. On S1,  I have the actual Power-line connected, which is always switched on.

S2 acts as S1 (configuration). 

I creates a Scene, that every time S2 is switched the Hue bulbs (Plugin) are switched on.

Bad Thing:

This takes around a second .

Good Thing:

I can use different colors per daytime etc easily. "Alexa switch on the lights In the kitchen" etc. works flawless.

However I am still looking for a way to use the usual (hardware) way of switching the hue bulbs on, I I thought it might be possible to read out the actual status...

I hope you can follow my thoughts... :)