Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Master - slave

jodohl

Question

When installing the Wall Plug, this device shows up in the HC2 with a "Master device" linked to a single "Slave device". Only the Slave has functionality (On/Off). Other devices also show up with a Master, which apparently serves to tie up multifunctionalities (e.g. the Fibaro "Eye". But still: What's the purpose since each function is operated independently?

My question is very simple: What is the purpose of the Master - since it appears to be inoperable ?

I have searched for wisdom in the user manual and on the Forum, but so far without luck.

10 answers to this question

1 - S1, 2 - Remote (scene activation), 3 - S2, 4 - zero node (reporting the state of the device)

Changing between 1 and 2 won't do much for functionality or power consumption I'm afraid.

The remote functionality is used as scene activation.

Hope this clears it up a bit.

@jodohl think of the master as a box or shell that the slave or slaves sit in fit in. I don't think It has any functionality

I think its left over from historic z wave features no longer in use.

@jodohl,

You can imagine master as representation of physical device as a whole device. Slaves are representation of features that are in the device.

In case of Fibaro motion sensor (EYE), there you can see multiple slave devices because device itself (physical one) has multiple features, like motion sensor, temperature sensor and lux sensor.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks, I then assume that the performance (response time etc.) of the HC2 is not influenced by whether the "Master" has been assigned to the same "Room" as the "Slave" or not?

I developed the rather sloppy habit of making the "Master" invisible in the system with no explanatory name and left it as "Unassigned". Whereas the Slave was given a meaningful name and assigned to a Room.Then I had to reset and restore the system, made every Device visible and discovered that I had lost completly track of where the "Masters boxes" belonged. Not a big deal, I can just go through and clean up, since the Master-Slave link is of course there.

But will this in any way affect performance ? I have been struggling with Alexa/Fibaro, so I want to rule out every possible cause for slow responses.

@jodohl, do not worry, it wont affect performance, since it only uses Device IDs, to communicate in scenes or through Z-Wave.

Rooms are primarily for user for not getting lost in tons of devices in Fibaro system.

• Inquirer
  • Another follow up question: 

A Fibaro Switch 2 will show up in the HC2 as Master + 4 devices. From the above helpful answers I have accepted the Master as merely a "shell". I also see that one of the slave devices is named "remote", so I assume this is to be used for direct association to a remote of some sort. But why do I see three switches and not just two? One of the three seems to be directly controlling one and just one of the remaining two. But not the other way round. Switching A will switch B, but not C. And B will not switch A. I´ve tried to figure out the purpose of this arrangement, but ran out of ideas.

Has anyone the simple answer ?

Edited by jodohl

Hi Jodohl,

I have the same question as your last post, I submitted a similar question to the forum earlier but just found your post.

I am just setting up my HC2 and very new to this and wondering which slave to use and which to hide, did you find an answer?

I have hidden the master, slave 2 which is the remote control and slave 4 which is a switch but appears to do nothing.

Slave 1 seems to be the one to use as the main switch as it turns all slaves on and off but it doesn't show the power consumption, this only works in slave 3.

Any assistance appreciated.

Same question from me with the Dimmer 2 . Why are there several slaves? I find 1 remote, and 3 dimmers?

I have "hidden" the Master, Slave1 and Salve4 because I can not operate them.

I have set Slave2 as the Remote and Slave 3 as the actually Dimmer. This is the only way I could get the "light bulb icon" in the "Your House" section to switch off the light and show correct status.

Sometimes I have problems when I check the light in the HC2 (in the "Your House" section) It says that the lights is on, but in reality its off. I have to "show hidden" and enter the Slave1 and Slave4 and turn off the light with the dimmer slide. After that the light bulb icon show correct status and it is possible to switch on and of from the "Your Home" section in HC2 panel.

The same hidden slaves are also consuming power according to the Power Panel

Attache image show a hidden slave1 on a Dimmer2, it is not assigned to any room. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

This has to do with Z-Wave regulations and there's nothing we can do about it at the moment. Sorry for the inconvenience.

Thanks for the reply Smolinski, I understand that there are regulations to follow.

But is it possible that someone can explain the Slave1 to Slave4 (ex in the Dimmer2).

Which slave to use when one has followed the installation instructions. Maybe I should use the Slave1 (as Schumacher explain) instead of Slave3, since I have problems with the functionality and power consumption.  And also explain how to use the "Remote" functionality. 

Regards Gorm