Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Using Single Switch as *just* a HomeKit switch?

Gilimanjaro

Hi!

I'm considering buying a whole stack of Single Switch's, but can't figure out if it suits my purpose exactly.

I'm moving to a new home soon, and plan to use Hue lights everywhere. But there will be wall-switches all over the place that I can't get rid off.

I can however change the wiring behind them.

So my plan is to change the wiring so the ceiling-lamp-mounts are wired directly, not via the switches, because they'll all have Hue bulbs and will therefore need power 24/7.

My question is if I can put Single Switch's behind every wallswitch, and then use that wall-switch from within HomeKit, to trigger a scene for instance. So no physical socket or connection would be wired to the Single Switch; I would only connect it to power and basically use them to turn a dead wall-switch into a wireless smart on that I can configure via HomeKit.

Is that possible?  Or do the Single Switch's not show up as a 'switch' in HomeKit?

Thanks, G

Hi @Gilimanjaro!

Welcome to FIBARO community!

12 hours ago, Gilimanjaro said:

My question is if I can put Single Switch's behind every wallswitch, and then use that wall-switch from within HomeKit, to trigger a scene for instance. So no physical socket or connection would be wired to the Single Switch; I would only connect it to power and basically use them to turn a dead wall-switch into a wireless smart on that I can configure via HomeKit.

That's the whole idea behind HomeKit.

I haven't tested this exact solution but it is possible to set that one HomeKit device is turned on whenever the other is turned on.

12 hours ago, Gilimanjaro said:

My question is if I can put Single Switch's behind every wallswitch, and then use that wall-switch from within HomeKit, to trigger a scene for instance. So no physical socket or connection would be wired to the Single Switch;

I have to happily tell you that FIBARO Single Switch is capable of being connected without the load.

So considering HomeKit features and how you can connect our switch, it should be possible.

Generally, the question is not IF but rather, WHAT will be the latency : )

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, I.Srodka said:

Hi @Gilimanjaro!

Welcome to FIBARO community!

That's the whole idea behind HomeKit.

I haven't tested this exact solution but it is possible to set that one HomeKit device is turned on whenever the other is turned on.

Yeah, indeed I was just reading about that. It should definitely work using that route then.

I was wondering if the switch presents itself to HomeKit similar to a Hue Tap or dimmer switch, showing up as a separate device in the room it's configured for with configurable 'buttons'.

I'm guessing not, and that it shows up as a different kind of device with just an on and off state that is controllable via HomeKit, and get/settable via automations.

1 hour ago, I.Srodka said:

I have to happily tell you that FIBARO Single Switch is capable of being connected without the load.

So considering HomeKit features and how you can connect our switch, it should be possible.

Generally, the question is not IF but rather, WHAT will be the latency : )

I've been reading the bluetooth latency was much improved in iOS 11. Is that the latency you are talking about?

Or is there additional latency because the setup would be via automations?

I'm not hugely worried about the latency to be honest; I actually think the wall switches won't see much use, as I'll be using motion sensors, timers, voice control and maybe the 3 Hue remotes I already have for most of the illumination.

I'm guessing making the wall-switches momentary switches would be best? That might allow for more advanced configuration in the future depending on firmware updates right? (Like long-press for dim or something).

Thanks, G

14 hours ago, Gilimanjaro said:

Is that possible?  Or do the Single Switch's not show up as a 'switch' in HomeKit?

5 minutes ago, Gilimanjaro said:

I was wondering if the switch presents itself to HomeKit similar to a Hue Tap or dimmer switch, showing up as a separate device in the room it's configured for with configurable 'buttons'.

To be more precise:

1) It is possible to change the "behavior" / icon of the module, you can choose to display it as the light or as the switch:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

I would maybe leave it as the light, since it will probably work better with voice commands such as turn off all the lights, etc. and since you will have Hue attached to it maybe it's a good thing to control this too.

To set up an automation which will light up the Hue whenever you switch the switch:

You need to create two automations, one for turning Hue on, another for turning Hue off.

5 minutes ago, Gilimanjaro said:

I'm guessing not, and that it shows up as a different kind of device with just an on and off state that is controllable via HomeKit, and get/settable via automations.

Yes, our device will show up as an independent device.

• Topic Author
  • 1 minute ago, I.Srodka said:

To be more precise:

1) It is possible to change the "behavior" / icon of the module, you can choose to display it as the light or as the switch:

I would maybe leave it as the light, since it will probably work better with voice commands such as turn of all the lights, etc. and since you will have Hue attached to it maybe it's a good thing to control this too.

To set up an automation which will light up the Hue whenever you switch the switch:

You need to create two automations, one for turning Hue on, another for turning Hue off.

Oh wow!

The presentation is configurable! That's amazing!

I was just thinking I forgot to mention it would be great to see what the switch looks like in HomeKit, and you send me screenshots! Great!

I'll probably configure them as switches though, because I'll probably barely use them for the purpose they originally had. Very likely I'll use them more for scene-selection, or at some point curtain-control then anything else. The one in my 'office' will probably become a knocker so people can make my lights flicker while I'm gaming for instance. Maybe even triggering a steam notification for when I'm wearing my VR headset... :-)

Thanks very much for the answers!

2 minutes ago, Gilimanjaro said:

I was just thinking I forgot to mention it would be great to see what the switch looks like in HomeKit, and you send me screenshots! Great!

No problem! : )

2 minutes ago, Gilimanjaro said:

Very likely I'll use them more for scene-selection

Very good idea!

3 minutes ago, Gilimanjaro said:

so people can make my lights flicker while I'm gaming for instance.

Great solution! There was always a problem with people shouting at you because you didn't respond.

4 minutes ago, Gilimanjaro said:

Maybe even triggering a steam notification

Well, that notification part is a bit tricky. You should check out IFTTT for that manner, or nag Apple about it because we don't have a lot of freedom in this manner.

• Topic Author
  • 2 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

Well, that notification part is a bit tricky. You should check out IFTTT for that manner, or nag Apple about it because we don't have a lot of freedom in this manner.

Yeah, I'll start looking into installing the 'homebridge' software on the MacMini I have running in a closet downloading backups of legitimately bought TV shows and movies.

And I read Apple is now allowing devs to more easily write their own HomeKit stuff and run it locally on a raspberry Pi or something. I am a Swift dev and own a bunch of Pi's, so maybe I'll do some self-tinkering for the notification part. Sounds like fun.

Oh, and one more thing, you can change the icon from the light, to some kind of switch in our app:

• 4 weeks later...

Good luck with 2 way lighting though! I’ve given up. Shame as the Single switch was auresome when I rigged it to my test fitting.