Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimmers and Bypasses backward/forward compatibility

Mosskit

Question

Hello All,

Can someone provide a clear table with regards to Bypass<->Dimmers compatibility?

I wonder, if I can I use Bypass ver 1 (FGB-001) with Dimmer  FGD-212 or FGD-213 and the opposite- Bypass ver 2 (FGB-002) with Dimmer FGD-211?

Thanks
Maciej

8 answers to this question

They are incompatible. So use Bypass 1 for Dimmer 1 and Bypass 2 for Dimmer 2 only.

Swapping them does not work, either it does nothing or causes the dimmer to report "over current".

I checked taht with Fibaro...

• Inquirer
  • Ok, I've checked it by myself with Bypass 1 and Dimmer FDG- 212 (ver 2) and only ON/OFF works well from the switch. Dimming makes it always go lowest or highest current. However I can dimm the light from HC2 without any issues. Pretty weired, huh? I wonder if, its not some calibration issue here. Any ideas?

Not weird at all. Dimmer 2 is based on MOSFET and can do leading ant trailing edge phase control. Dimmer one is triac based, it is completely different.

Like I said, my information is from Fibaro, it is 100 percent accurate.

There is no workaround. The bypass is an active device, not a resistor or capacitor...

• Inquirer
  • On 1/21/2018 at 12:20 PM, petergebruers said:

Not weird at all. Dimmer 2 is based on MOSFET and can do leading ant trailing edge phase control. Dimmer one is triac based, it is completely different.

Like I said, my information is from Fibaro, it is 100 percent accurate.

There is no workaround. The bypass is an active device, not a resistor or capacitor...

Back to the topic. I've replaced bypass ver 1 with bypass ver 2 on dimmer ver 2 and.. it behaves the same way. So, ON/OFF works fine but dimming. And still I am able to dim to whatever level from HC2 only. I have replaced a dimmer to a complete new unit, it has been calibrated and again it works the same way as before. So, when I switch it ON and then want to dimm it down by keeping the switch, nothing happens. When I release the switch it goes slowly down to the lowest dimm level. When I press it again, it goes up to highest dimm level. From that point the only way to make it works on/off is double click the switch. I have just 2 Philips Master LED 5W on that circuit. Anyone?

Edited by AnonymousJohn

Since you are now using the correct bypass, it is indeed a good idea to continue the discussion in your new topic

Can anyone confirm my assumption that dimmer bypass 2 is not region specific like the dimmer module and the zwave frequency.