Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Bluetooth HUB

Emilio

Hello All,

I'm using the Door Sensor, in combination with my Apple TV but the apple tv is to far away for the bluetooth, We moving with my phone in the room everything is working when placing the Apple tv in the same room it's also working.

Do the Fibaro devices act like a Mesh network? So i can place an other Fibaro homekit device between the Door sensor and the Apple tv to get the connection working?

it's running ver 1.20 but also unable to update the firmware via the app only getting the eroor än error occurred during Firmware upgrade""

Thanx al for you reactions

Kind Regards

Emiel 

Bluetooth mesh network is a brand new standard (late 2017) and not implemented in Apple HomeKit yet. It will happen I think, and as Apple is part of the Bluetooth SIG, they will probably in the near future demand companies to implement the new Bluetooth standard to be an approved HomeKit provider.

However, that has not happened yet so adding extra Fibaro HomeKit enabled devices will not strengthening your bluetooth network.

• Like 1

Hi @Emilio!

Welcome to our community!

10 hours ago, Emilio said:

Do the Fibaro devices act like a Mesh network? So i can place an other Fibaro homekit device between the Door sensor and the Apple tv to get the connection working?

Unfortunately, just as @Thomasn said, it's not FIBARO-related issue.

As of now, HomeKit protocol doesn't support this. It's nothing we can do about it.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, I.Srodka said:

Hi @Emilio!

Welcome to our community!

Unfortunately, just as @Thomasn said, it's not FIBARO-related issue.

As of now, HomeKit protocol doesn't support this. It's nothing we can do about it.

Hello Sroda,

Thanx for your answer then i have to find a other solution for this issues=

KInd regards

Emiel 

On 1/23/2018 at 1:06 AM, Emilio said:

Hello All,

I'm using the Door Sensor, in combination with my Apple TV but the apple tv is to far away for the bluetooth, We moving with my phone in the room everything is working when placing the Apple tv in the same room it's also working.

it's running ver 1.20 but also unable to update the firmware via the app only getting the eroor än error occurred during Firmware upgrade""

Thanx al for you reactions

Kind Regards

Emiel 

For range issues, you will have to get an extra ATV configured with the same Apple ID to extend the Bluetooth range.Its like using HCL along with HC2 in a master- slave config.

On 1/23/2018 at 1:06 AM, Emilio said:

On 22.01.2018 at 10:06 PM, Emilio said:

So i can place an other Fibaro homekit device between the Door sensor and the Apple tv to get the connection working?

Actually, it is a valid idea @Muhammad.

@Emilio, you can put another Apple TV or

Please login or register to see this link.

which will also relay your accessories to the iCloud.

Although it's a much more expensive solution.

As what Emilio has mentioned, mesh-networking for Bluetooth has just been ratified in late 2017 and not part of the original Bluetooth 5.0. Hence, even with those newer devices/appliances where you see Bluetooth 5.0 in its specifications, it does not mean mesh-networking is enabled/available. Bluetooth Mesh will probably come in a few months time (optimistically), else a year away. That said, as Apple is part of the Bluetooth SIG, they have a big influence as well as being both hardware and software firm, they may be able to speed things up a little within their own products. Notice Apple TV 5th Gen comes with Bluetooth 5.0? HomePod also Bluetooth 5.0? What if mesh is just a software update away for these Bluetooth 5.0 Apple appliances?

On the flip side, I am able to confirm that the current HomeKit (since iOS 11, perhaps even later versions of iOS 10 as I have been in beta testing for too long to remember exact point) has some sort of 'relaying' build in. As long as there is an iOS device which is part of the HomeKit family in between HomeKit nodes/devices (such as Fibaro, Philips, etc) and HomeKit Hub, the iOS device (iPad Air that sits at home permanently in my case) relays HomeKit traffic to the HomeKit Hub (Apple TV 4th Gen for my case). That's how I resolved the coverage range challenge of HomeKit. This is same as what Muhammad has mentioned. Do note that HomeKit devices/nodes itself cannot relay, only iOS devices which are part of HomeKit Family can.

Edited by chaicka

• Topic Author
  • All,

Thanx for your answer what I did is now the following my iMac was closer to the sensor, and also using homebridge for my logitech remote and Sonos speakers.

So i've added a ranger plugin to extend the fibaro device to my Apple tv and now it's working. 

Regards

Emiel 

I am pretty much guessing and please don't quote me if I get it wrong.

I suspect one of the reason for the Apple HomePod to be delayed and why the 'Stereo' and 'Multi-Room' features are not available at launch may be linked to Bluetooth Mesh with the ratification being 'late' (think it was in Nov 2017). If those features do indeed means dependency on Bluetooth Mesh capabilities, then there is a good chance when those features become available through software update, HomePod can then be used as a form of 'range extender' to enhance coverage of HomeKit throughout a house.

Too bad HomePod has yet to launch where I am residing. I am sure to jump onboard once it does and perhaps put the theory to test.

With iOS 11.3 Beta now supports HomeKit software-based authentication, not sure if Fibaro has anything up their sleeves to roll out in near future - integrating HC2/HCL bridge to HomeKit. It's one of the top most item on my wish list. ;)

Edited by chaicka

• 1 year later...
    On 1/25/2018 at 5:06 AM, Emilio said:

So i've added a ranger plugin to extend the fibaro device to my Apple tv and now it's working. 

Late to the party! But I'm researching for the same problem. What range extender did you buy? Worth doing?

I have the Door Sensor for my garage door which is downstairs and the Apple TV upstairs can't connect to it. Just needs to go a few more feet through the ceiling/floor..

• 4 months later...

@chaicka and @Muhammad

I have an ipad air 2 which acts as a homekit concentrator. It is placed in the house and it communicates with the door contacts. However, he does not see the contacts which are located in the garage (too far I suppose).

So I added in the garage an iphone 6, with an icloud account which is invited to the homekit house, I also added in the garage a second ipad pro with the same icloud account as the "master" concentrator which is the ipad air 2 in the House.
    When I look directly at the iphone or ipad pro in the garage, they see the two door contacts located in the garage, but it does not go up in WiFi on the first "master" ipad in the house. Because of this I always see my door contacts unavailable for other IOS devices in or outside the house.

Are you sure that IOS 13 devices can extend the bluetooth coverage of homekit bluetooth devices?

I would like to do exactly the same as in your post Posted January 24, 2018.

Please help !

• 5 months later...