Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Dimming issue on Dimmer 2 with bypass 2. Calibration ?

Mosskit

Question

Hi,

I described my issue already in a topic about bypass/dimmer compatibility but I believe it requires a new topic.

Scenario:

- 2 x Dimmable GU10 Philips Master LEDs 5 W each on the circuit (around 11W in tottal according to dimmer measurement)

- 3 wires configuration with Dimmer 2 and bypass 2 presented below

- monostable single switch

- bulbs calibrated after first start up

- tried with 2 completely new dimmers and behavior is the same

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_01/image.png.56ec75b082dc78e7474e93e9068cc1e9.png" alt="image.png.56ec75b082dc78e7474e93e9068cc1e9.png" />

Behavior:

1. Momentary push of the switch  turns the bulbs ON or OFF with no issues

2. Light is ON. Now, pressing it for a longer time doesn't do anything - no dimm is observed. Once switch is released, then it goes slowely to the lowest level of dimm. Since that time, momentary push makes it goes always to full brightness (ON) or to lowest dimm level again. The only way to make it works on and off is to double click the switch.

3. When I try to set whatever level of brightness in the HC2 it works perfectly. Same with on/off. 

I tried to remove DImmer unit but it works the same. Bypass and dimmers have been of the shelve, sealed boxes.  Any ideas? 

Thanks

6 answers to this question

How long are the wires going to S1 (and Sx)? If they are <  3 meter in my humble opinion it should always work. If they are longer then 10 m you might have issues like you describe, it depends on the wiring. Between 3 - 10 meter I'd say: "it depends".

Can you test dimmer + a switch + a bulb on a test bench?

• Inquirer
  • Hi,

Sx and S1 wires are like.... 10 cm :) 

Dimmer is mounted in pocket of an electrical box behind the switch.  I can organize some test bench but will try to swap dimmer with working one next to it. 

Ok, little update: I swapped suspected dimmer with the one that works perfectly next to it but with 3 x 4.9W Phillips LED and its the same. SO the only difference is the load of the circuit ( 2 x 4.9W vs 3 x 4.9W). When I installed suspected dimmer with 3 x 4.9W Philips LED it works ok. I am confused now. Seems like its something with that load. Doubt its the switch but gonna replace this one as well.

Edited by AnonymousJohn

You post very useful information but I have to say it leads to kind of contradictory conlusions. For instance, some things suggest the load is dimmable, others suggest it is non-dimmable.

Before each test, can you do this?

Please calibrate it the dimmer again, by setting p13 = 2 (force auto-calibration of the load with Fibaro Bypass). Refresh the web page after 20 seconds.

Then please take note (and post them here when you are in doubt!) of the values of parameters 1,2,5,6,7,8,13,14,30,31,32,33,34,35 because they tell a lot about the configuration, load and calibration. Maybe we can find out what happened.

In the past, people have a few times silently ignored my request to post the values of these parameters. Let me explain *WHY* I would like to know them. You might think: "I didn't mess with those parameters (yet) - why should I respond to that question? Surely those parameters are all at their default values? Why waste time by telling the obvious?". Well... They are not at their "default"... You see... "calibration" means the dimmer tries to determine optimum values for a lot of parameters, by pulsing/stepping its output (you can see that) and measuring the response of the load (so each time you change the load,  please do a calibration!). Because you and I have a different loads on that dimmer, we end up with different parameters! And that's why I'd like to know what they are set at...

• Inquirer
  • Peter,

Thanks for help. I figured it out. It was "intermediate switch" (cross switch, installed for example on stairs when you want to have two switches on each floor to control one circuit) installed there with a spring inside to make it monostable. Propably it was the issue with finding current edge during releasing/pressing. It used to work well with classic bulbs. I replaced the switch and it works delicious now :) 

It seems that you know Fibaro well. I am new into the business. Can you shed some light why I am seeing four devices coming just from one dimmer? So there is Master - ID25 and then I can see 26, 27- controller is some kind of controller - 28 and 29. I observed that when light is triggered from the HW Wall Switch its presented on device ID 27 only - status is not correctly reflected on ID 26 but when I triger the light from dev ID 26 it can be on/off/dimmed. How am I suppossed to understand it?

image.png.0a297bc03c115e9a2881dc8790e48d9c.png

Please login or register to see this attachment.

4 hours ago, mosskit said:

Thanks for help. I figured it out. It was "intermediate switch" (cross switch, installed for example on stairs when you want to have two switches on each floor to control one circuit) installed there with a spring inside to make it monostable.

Wooooooot.... that was an unpleasant surprise I guess? I'm glad that's solved.

4 hours ago, mosskit said:

Can you shed some light why I am seeing four devices coming just from one dimmer?

Almost all modules follow these rules (sort of):

• The master kind of represents the complete module. You rarely interact with it directly...
    • One slave represents S1, one represents S2. Although S2 does not have an output, internally it looks like a dimmer.
    • One slave is a duplicate of S1, it is the way Z-Wave works. It is needed for backwards compatibility. Long time ago, modules could only have one function and really old controllers do not understand S1 and S2 but they understand the "duplicate" (it uses different communication mechanism, but is is the same as dimmer S1).
    • Some devices can act as "remote controller". You also rarely interact with this device... In the manual you'll find the device has either "scene activation" or "central scene event". It means, besides sending dimmer levels, it can also send click, double click, hold... You might want to research "sceneActivation" and "CentralSceneEvent". The manual should mention this.

The order and number of slaves can vary...

Edited by petergebruers

• Inquirer
  • OK, so you confirmed my presumptions about S1 and S2. I know about scene activation, although have not tested it yet but working with system more and more everyday. Thanks!