Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Control Wall Plug Homekit Edition over internet via vpn!?

clubber666

Hello

Actually using wall plug Homekit Edition standalone.

Works fine in LAN, but when trying to connect from Internet via vpn => sometimes works, sometimes error NSOSStatusErrorDomain: -6722

Any Ideas!?

(I'm using lights and cameras via vpn without any Problems!)

Hi @clubber666!

Welcome to our community!

8 hours ago, clubber666 said:

Works fine in LAN, but when trying to connect from Internet via vpn => sometimes works, sometimes error NSOSStatusErrorDomain: -6722

Maybe your VPN configuration doesn't allow some type of packets to go through, some specific ones which are not used in other devices.

Moreover, HomeKit protocol wasn't designed this way.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_02/image.png.71c534a609d2371928c7bf069d02d07e.png">

HomeKit uses iCloud and home hubs such as Apple TV or iPad to tunnel and encrypt the connection for the outside access.

8 hours ago, clubber666 said:

Is this a HomeKit camera? Even if, cameras tend to have a stream URL independent from HomeKit settings which may be normally accessed via VPN.

11 hours ago, clubber666 said:

Perhaps you are referring to Philips Hue?

Philips Hue is not a native HomeKit platform. It is actually running on the ZigBee platform and just that its Hue Hub bridges to HomeKit. When connected via VPN and using its Hue app, the communication has nothing to do with HomeKit.

• 1 month later...
  • Topic Author
  • Thx for your answers Guys, but I´m still searching for a solution to get connected from away (From Internet) without the Need of any Cloud solution.

1.) Connected via VPN to my home, the wall plug is not able to be controlled.

2.) Connected directly to WLAN inside the Network @home it works

=> I still believe, this should work without any public-cloud contact

Maybe any packets on layer 2 in the WLAN?

Greets Clubber

I think Fibaro Wall Plug is designed to work only with Homekit protocol. Even Fibaros official app is using Homekit to talk with Wall Plugs. If you are on your local Wifi even without using Homekit your iOS devices still talks with Wall Plugs trough Wifi with Homekit protocol. Outside of your local network you need a homekit bridge (iPad, Apple TV or HomePod ) for remote access even with VPN. This is Apple security :). I don't think that Fibaros Wall Plugs can work as a pure Wifi devices. I can communicate with my Wall Plugs from outside with VPN but I have a Homekit bridge on my local network. Try to borrow iPad or Apple TV and see if this can make a difference for your remote access.

On 27/03/2018 at 11:20 PM, clubber666 said:

Thx for your answers Guys, but I´m still searching for a solution to get connected from away (From Internet) without the Need of any Cloud solution.

1.) Connected via VPN to my home, the wall plug is not able to be controlled.

2.) Connected directly to WLAN inside the Network @home it works

=> I still believe, this should work without any public-cloud contact

Maybe any packets on layer 2 in the WLAN?

Greets Clubber

Go the Z-Wave route perhaps? Run Fibaro Home Center 2 and associated Fibaro Z-Wave products (more than what they offer for HomeKit, most are port-over from Z-Wave anyway), have VPN tunnel back so you have a secured connectivity back to home network where your Fibaro Home Center 2 is. Skip Fibaro's Remote Access and it won't be cloud-based (sort of, except the Google Analytics traffic that Fibaro use). If that is not comfortable for you, block access to Google Analytics from Home Center 2.

HomeKit is basically designed as cloud-based remote accessibility.