Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

2 way Lighting Circuit with a Single Switch HK

ShadyDealer

• Topic Author
  • Trying to figure out how to install the single switch (HomeKit) on a 2 way lighting circuit. Please help. 

I have; 2 RED cables go in to COM terminal on the switch, 1 yellow in L1 and a Red in L2. Anybody else had much luck with this?

8 hours ago, ShadyDealer said:

Trying to figure out how to connect these things up to 2 way lighting circuit, any suggestions?

You have no neutral. Buy a dimmer, the switch wont work with out  a neutral wire but the dimmer will if wired correctly. You can set the dimmer up to switch the load if its not suitable for dimming.

The questons your asking suggest it would be prudent to get a electrician .

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

You have no neutral. Buy a dimmer, the switch wont work with out  a neutral wire but the dimmer will if wired correctly. You can set the dimmer up to switch the load if its not suitable for dimming.

The questons your asking suggest it would be prudent to get a electrician .

I do have neutral so that’s not the problem. The issue is depending on what switch is pressed the Live is switched. Just stating get an electrician isn’t helpful at all. For the record I have a city and guilds in electrical installation!

The reason I purchased the Single Switch is because it’s HomeKit enabled. 

Edited by ShadyDealer

9 hours ago, ShadyDealer said:

I have; 2 RED cables go in to COM terminal on the switch, 1 yellow in L1 and a Red in L2. Anybody else had much luck with this?

Could you draw a quick wiring diagram how exactly do you imagine that?

I can't fully understand your wiring and colors, here are the colors for the UK from Wikipedia:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

If you would like to add some details I might be able to help you if the diagrams linked by @10der are not enough : )

That sounds like a live feed looping in and out of your common terminal  and the yellow and red wires being your two strap wires to the next switch. So there must be a forth neutral wire also?.

A photo or a drawing as @I.Srodkasuggests would take away the guess work

• Topic Author
  • Thinking about the two red cables in the COM, one is Live and the other isn’t, I’ve not had chance to test it yet but I believe the other one will feed another switch in another room. 

So effectively, I have one permanent live COM and then two switch lives L1 and L2. 

Thanks for the links @10der but the terminals on the single switch I think are different on the FGBHS-213?

Edited by ShadyDealer

1 minute ago, ShadyDealer said:

FGBHS-213

I have both devices. AFAIR, wiring similar. 

18 minutes ago, 10der said:

I have both devices. AFAIR, wiring similar. 

Yes, Single Switch 2 and Single Switch HomeKit have similar terminals.

@ShadyDealer, what about the other socket?

Could you provide some photos?

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, I.Srodka said:

Could you draw a quick wiring diagram how exactly do you imagine that?

I can't fully understand your wiring and colors, here are the colors for the UK from Wikipedia:

If you would like to add some details I might be able to help you if the diagrams linked by @10der are not enough : )

Pic as below, think one of the reds in the COM feeds a switch in another location directly behind it through a wall. 

The other one is LIVE I believe. I then have 3 cables (1 black and 2 blue) in a connector strip that is neutral. 

Then L1 and L2 as the pic. 

2 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

Yes, Single Switch 2 and Single Switch HomeKit have similar terminals.

@ShadyDealer, what about the other socket?

Could you provide some photos?

The other switch socket just has 1 x Red to COM, Yellow to L1 and Red to L2. Neutral present in a separate connector strip. 

I’m going to look at installing it in the actual ceiling light fitting. Originally this had a pendant installed as I swapped it some years ago for a decorative fitting. 

This I am assuming would have th conventional pendant loop in wiring. The house is now approximately 10 years old. 

Edited by ShadyDealer

Do you have any additional sockets nearby?

How are those switches aligned against the light?

From which side is the light? It goes from this wall switch (photo) or the other side?

• Topic Author
  • Yes, I have another switch socket across the room. It’s my living room, one switch located one side and one at the other end. Both have them setup as described. 

The switch as pictured is in the same room

From what I understand, the following wiring diagram could be deducted:

I have to warn all readers that it is not an official wiring diagram or scheme. Please do not use it or do not use it as an example. It is just a guess what @ShadyDealer may have.

@ShadyDealer, do you think that's the wiring in your case?

• Topic Author
  • No, I don’t think so. Think it’s a conventional 2 way ring setup based on the loop in and out. 

12 hours ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

That sounds like a live feed looping in and out of your common terminal  and the yellow and red wires being your two strap wires to the next switch. So there must be a forth neutral wire also?.

A photo or a drawing as @I.Srodkasuggests would take away the guess work

Yes, there is a neutral there, 2 or 3 of the black and blue. 

32 minutes ago, ShadyDealer said:

No, I don’t think so. Think it’s a conventional 2 way ring setup based on the loop in and out. 

Yes, there is a neutral there, 2 or 3 of the black and blue. 

In that drawing the black is a live feed in and the blue is a strap wire to the second switch, both phase wires.

Take a photo if you can.

• Topic Author
  • Here’s my other switch plate;

6 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

In that drawing the black is a live feed in and the blue is a strap wire to the second switch, both phase wires.

Take a photo if you can.

I'll take boy switch plate off and establish which ones are live. Thinking about it though on both plates, there is only 1 red each coming out of L1 and L2 so the diagram I uploaded is probably incorrect. 

No, come to conclusion that it just can’t be done properly, not if I want the existing traditional switches to function correctly. 

@I.Srodka already stated previously that the single switch will not operate on 2 way lighting.

Thanks for the help though. Might install it in the ceiling fitting if I can and have it work independently of the 2 way wall switches. 

• Topic Author
  • Here is switch plate 1;

Switch plate 2 is the same but with just 1 red in COM. Nuetrals are present in a separate connector strip. 

Edited by ShadyDealer

11 hours ago, ShadyDealer said:

No, come to conclusion that it just can’t be done properly, not if I want the existing traditional switches to function correctly. 

Hi! I see you are still struggling with the schematics.

Here's what I would do...

Those pictures are a great start...

Pick a starting point. Say: "left switch". Stick a label on a RED wire. Write "A" on it. Follow the wire to the other side... Label it A too.

Then the yellow wire... B and again label the other side.

Repeat until all wires are labeled, then take a photo of "left switch".

Repeat to include junction boxes, ceiling light and finally circuit breaker. Then figure out which one is "Neutral" and which one is "Line 1" (or "Live 1" but I prefer "Line"). 

After this, you can make a complete drawing and post pictures + schematics.

The advantages are: (a) other forum users can tell "Connect wire A in left switch box to S1 of module" without ambiguity. (b) you have a better schematic diagram and may come to the conclusion someone "did not follow the rules" (for example, used wrong colour).

Regulations are a local thing. I'm in Belgium but I have a reasonable understand of a UK setup...

Please try it... I've given this advice a dozen times, it really works...

It is possible, the final conclusion will be something like "cannot be done without running an extra wire", but then at least you know why!

English is not my first language , but I try to use correct terminology.