Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SOLVED]Single switch issue - not enough wires

hassewiersma

Hi all,

Running into an issue...... (i'm in the Netherlands). and, I was already worried I run into this problem.

Switches in my house have just 2 wires: black and brown.

the other wires are all in the ceiling mount. 

so i won't be able to install the single switch in the wall.

I should be able to install it in the ceiling correct? As there I do have all the wires of course including the blue ones.

BTW: for all lights that have a HUE lamp, I simply connect the wires in the wall switch and remove the switch completely as the HUE can be controlled so I don't need the switch.

Edited by hassewiersma

11 minutes ago, hassewiersma said:

Hi all,

Running into an issue...... (i'm in the Netherlands). and, I was already worried I run into this problem.

Switches in my house have just 2 wires: black and brown.

the other wires are all in the ceiling mount. 

so i won't be able to install the single switch in the wall.

I should be able to install it in the ceiling correct? As there I do have all the wires of course including the blue ones.

BTW: for all lights that have a HUE lamp, I simply connect the wires in the wall switch and remove the switch completely as the HUE can be controlled so I don't need the switch.

if you want to follow somewhat in my direction, i also use hue bulbs in every light socket in my home.  now, to make sure the bulbs never lose communication with the hue hub, i had a script written for my HC2 that when the light switch was physically turned off via the light switch, the single/double switch 2 would automatically turn the light back on.   this route, the light never loses communication with the hub.  "my wife hates that the switches dont work though.." lol  now in your situation, i don't think you can use the Fibaro switches behind your physical light switches because your missing the third wire.  if you want to keep the switches "always on", to maintain a constant power to the bulbs, than, yes.  i would in your case tuck the wires and hide them behind a wall cover, that way, the lights can't be adjusted from the physical light switch.  

tucking the wires and covering them. is a much more cost effective option too.

• Topic Author
  • 7 minutes ago, matt1981 said:

if you want to follow somewhat in my direction, i also use hue bulbs in every light socket in my home.  now, to make sure the bulbs never lose communication with the hue hub, i had a script written for my HC2 that when the light switch was physically turned off via the light switch, the single/double switch 2 would automatically turn the light back on.   this route, the light never loses communication with the hub.  "my wife hates that the switches dont work though.." lol  now in your situation, i don't think you can use the Fibaro switches behind your physical light switches because your missing the third wire.  if you want to keep the switches "always on", to maintain a constant power to the bulbs, than, yes.  i would in your case tuck the wires and hide them behind a wall cover, that way, the lights can't be adjusted from the physical light switch.  

tucking the wires and covering them. is a much more cost effective option too.

I'm not using the Fibaro switch for the places where I have the HUE bulb. Those are covered and done. No switches on the wall anymore.

I have some lights, like above the kitchen table, which simply has lights that i can't exchange with HUE lights (GY6.35 and small things). THOSE lights I want to use the Fibaro switch for.

So, I need to know where to put this Fibaro in the system. It won't work in the wall. 

so i was thinking to put it in the ceiling just before the lamp itself. Will that work?

in the schema of Fibaro itself the blue(4) and red(5) lines that go to the switch are still there; they do go to switch as the switch cuts the power there.

18 hours ago, matt1981 said:

i had a script written for my HC2

I think you're missing the point here.

@hassewiersma looks as if he has Apple TV and HomeKit version (it's a HomeKit subforum). Scripts in LUA won't help.

Finally, just as @pjvik said, it's not an issue to install Fibaro Single Switch in the ceiling where you have a full set of cables (3 cables).

• Topic Author
  • Oki. I upened up the ceiling. Now i know a bit of electricity but i'm afraid in no way the fibaro switch will fit here.

(i can probably shorten some wires to make room)

please think with me :-)

- blue one: i cut and put it in a triple connector with 1 new short wire to the N on the switch.

but i'm confused now on the remaining wires. the black goes from lamp to wall switch of course.

i understand from the switch this one goes into S1 of the fibaro; but where does the part that goes to the lamp go in? Q or L?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Better photo. I'm afraid this won't fit there.

ALTERNATIVE:

next to the switch is also a plug where i have power of course.

can the fibaro be connected tapping the power from a plug too?

i mean the switch has just 2 wires which i can use; and can i tap the other wires from the plug that's just next to it?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Topic Author
  • Anyone any idea? as it doesn't fit. 

I'm now thinking to get rid of my wall switch (will connect all wires so it's Always on) and ONLY use the Single Switch which i will put inside the lamp casing.

I should then be able to ONLY connect the blue wire of the lamp and the black one as you would do with a wall plug (black is brown there but those if the switch is Always on do the same) installation correct?

• 3 months later...
  • Topic Author
  • Ok finally I got this fixed. I just borrowed a Neutral from the plug next to the wall switch. This is on the same group parallel so that works perfect!

for those who also are missing the blue wire, if you get one to the wall switch make sure it's one of the same group.

• 2 months later...

IMHO that is not a safe solution. Your breakers are double pole cutting live and neutral. If you mix circuits' neutral wires you defeat the isolation even if you keep them on the same phase so that there is no current imbalance. I can see that your ceiling box is a bit full but that is the place to put the fibaro module if you can't feed a neutral from there to the switch. The switch is connected to 'L' and S1. The live for the light goes to 'Q'. The fibaro then just needs 'L' and 'N' from the ceiling box. If things are really tight the fibaro could go in the lamp fitting with two extra wires from the ceiling box?

• 1 month later...
    On 8/16/2018 at 1:47 PM, rjstott said:

Your breakers are double pole cutting live and neutral.

No, not in the Netherlands.