Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Aeotec MS6 PIR hanging breached

Jamie mccrostie

Question

Any one had any issues with Aeotec MS6 on USB PIR hanging in breached state?

UPDATED If any one is interested here is Aeotecs response--

"Try setting these parameter settings just as a test to see if the sensor works better for you

• Parameter 5 [1 byte] = 2 //set binary sensor report

If that isn't helping, try adding in this parameter setting:

• Parameter 3 [2 byte] = 10 //set timeout of motion sensor to 10 seconds
  • Parameter 4 [1 byte] = 5 //ensure max sensitivity of PIR sensor"
Edited by Jamie mccrostie

I have one MS6 only and it runs on latest firmware, being V 1.11. I know, updating the MS6 is rather difficult, but you know what support is going to ask if you're not running the latest FW. I have had a look at the logging of this device and I do not see such a thing. I do not use the MS6 control lights, I only use it for humidity sensing, so I might have missed such an event. But the event panel looks normal. This sensor has a direct connection, it is rather close to the controller. Maybe yours is far away?

I'd say staying breached or safe is not a typical defect of this sensor, based on reports on this forum. My first explanation would be network issue then firmware issues. A switch or door sensor can show wrong status too...

Mine is on FW 1.8 and I have no problems. It is mostly used for temperature and humidity outside but do blink with a lamp when someone is passing the PIR. It tells me if there are persons in our driveway or more importantly, if our cat want to come in again.

No hanging in breached state.....

Edited by Thomasn

Just now, Thomasn said:

Mine is in FW 1.8 and I have no problems. It is mostly used for temperature and humidity outside but do blink with a lamp when someone is passing the PIR. It tells me if there is persons in our driveway or more importantly, if our cat want to come in again.

No hanging in breached state.....

Lucky you!

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • I have them in all bathrooms and every now and then they seem to hang. This is spread over all of them not just one device.

They come right eventually but leave lighting scenes running in the mean time.

I also have several MS6 sensors around, all on FW 1.7. They never hang in the breached state but what I experience is that these sensors every now and then

give a 'high temperature' alarm without any cause. I already got used to ignore these messages ;)

Edited by TRicky

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, TRicky said:

I also have several MS6 sensors around, all on FW 1.7. They never hang in the breached state but what I experience is that these sensors every now and then

give a 'high temperature' alarm without any cause. I already got used to ignore these messages ;)

Yes iv'e had this to, ended up increasing Fibaro configuration setting to "send message of potential fire " to 1000 degrees

I have 3 MS6, 2 on firmware 1.8 and 1 on firmware 1.7. None hangs in breached state and most of the parameters are in default values. Lux, Temperature, Humidity reporting are working fine too. The only hiccup I have with these MS6 is that none of them have ever detect UV, even when I place them in the outdoor balcony facing towards morning sunlight.

Note: None are included in secured mode as I finds secured mode causing a lot of issues, even with Fibaro own devices so I have since removed all secured mode devices and re-included as non-secured mode. One of the issues encountered are hung in breached state for both MS6 as well as FGMS001 while they were in secured mode.

Edited by chaicka
    Additional Info on Previous Encounters

4 minutes ago, chaicka said:

The only hiccup I have with these MS6 is that none of them have ever detect UV, even when I place them in the outdoor balcony facing towards morning sunlight

This surprises a lot of people, but it might actually work as designed. The UV index represents skin burn risk so you need a fair amount of sun to get that number above 0. It should match the number given by the weather forecast (which is a prediction for risk at noon).

I did some quick tests long ago and I got about 3 (probably in spring, I cannot remember when) at noon.

Please login or register to see this link.

• Inquirer
  • 21 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

The UV index represents skin burn risk so

Bet they work well outside where i live.;D limited ozone layer down here. And I believe one of the highest rates of skin cancer in the world.

Ive also noticed UBS freezing when being used for Alarm PIR use.

Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

Bet they work well outside where i live.;D limited ozone layer down here.

Yeah, but isn't that good, to kill those deadly spiders on your continent? ;-)

BTW can you check how much/fast they report humidity? I bet there is a lot of noise, possibly making them report more than once per minute. If so, try to set p 42 (hum threshold to 2 (two percent points).

• Inquirer
  • 2 hours ago, petergebruers said:

set p 42 (hum threshold to 2 (two percent points).

Thanks will try that because yes there are many humidity reports coming through.

Continent, no your thinking out west of us just Islands in NZ and not many spiders.

Here's a UBS thats frozen in my system right now, its remote unfortunately so i cant go and try to retrigger it.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_02/5a8e6f040c26f_Capture20.PNG.d3cde49416dfabd75c0a08ad45d7c582.PNG" style="width:630px;height:auto;float:right;" />

2 hours ago, chaicka said:

Note: None are included in secured mode as I finds secured mode causing a lot of issues, even with Fibaro own devices so I have since removed all secured mode devices and re-included as non-secured mode.

@petergebruers the cognitive dissonance....

2 hours ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Islands in NZ

Gosh, I somehow confused you with @alandee. I am off by more than a few miles then :)

Would love to visit NZ or Australia ;-)

53 minutes ago, 10der said:

@petergebruers the cognitive dissonance....

I have read "The Social Animal" by Elliot Aronson so I think I understand the concept, but I fail to see the connection with secure and non-secure mode... Can you elaborate?

Please login or register to see this link.

2 hours ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

Here's a USB thats frozen in my system right now, its remote unfortunately so i cant go and try to retrigger it.

Mains operated you said? Send a "poll" request to the device, either by setting the device to manual poll then click the poll button or use Lua to send poll to the master device.

Just now, Jamie mccrostie said:

petergebruersopps that should have read UBS for that photo

I know this post is on MS6 but similar issue shown here on UBS on alarm sensor

I had a hunch... It is mains operated, so my suggestion to poll it should work here as well...

Totally off topic, but highly recommended:

12 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

I have read "The Social Animal" by Elliot Aronson so I think I understand the concept, but I fail to see the connection with secure and non-secure mode... Can you elaborate?

:)

it' means what I always hear: if you do not want any issues with sensors. also issues with false positive alerts High temperature etc - please connect all your sensors in security mode. 

And all of a sudden boom! " I finds secured mode causing a lot of issues".

Sorry I got emotional :)

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Edited by 10der

21 minutes ago, 10der said:

Sorry I got emotional :)

Do you want to lay down on my red couch for some deep psychoanalysis?

I am not an expert on security things but here's what I know:

• There is "secure" mode aka S0 and "secure mode 2" aka S2. The FGT-001 is the first Fibaro device to support S2 but I don't think the homecenter supports S2. S2 makes use of higher capability of recent microcontrollers and uses stronger (more modern encryption). When you read about security here or on another forum, we are still talking about S0
    • Secure mode is a must for door locks, no doubt about that and it works too...
    • To be secure, a lot af data has to be exchanged, so a simple report turns into "a long exchange of date" so it uses more bandwith. Which is why you cannot put 100 sensors in secure mode. Maybe 10 is OK, I cannot find much data about this.
    • A secure message cannot be tampered with so if the false reports come from radio interference, secure mode should fix that... In theory. I have never tried and I have never heard any feedback from others.
    • Z-Wave = RF so it can easily be jammed... Do burglars carry jammers these days? I wouldn't know...

Tell me, how do you feel right now? I'll respond to anything you say by choosing randomly from:

• Uhu
    • Mmmm
    • Yessss
    • Tell me
    • Continue!

Edited by petergebruers

16 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Continue!

I'll get you, Dr. Evil! ;D

• Inquirer
  • 7 hours ago, petergebruers said:

I had a hunch... It is mains operated, so my suggestion to poll it should work here as well...

Totally off topic, but highly recommended:

Ha, apart from the workers wearing high viz now not much has changed.