Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

iOS push notification problem

jodohl

Question

I have set up a few push notifications to my iPhone 7+ to alert me of key events triggered by my Fibaro HC2. The following problem occurs:

(1) With the Fibaro iPhone app closed, push notifications shows up both on a closed as well as an open iPhone screen as expected.  However, the Fibaro Icon is marked with the red "alert icon", but the Notification tray in the app is empty and the Log shows zero entries.

(2) With the Fibaro iPhone app open, nothing happens. No sound alert, no message, empty "In tray", zero log as above.

Has anybody an idea how to solve this? I have checked my iphone settings and activated all relevant Notification options.

I reported this bug 1 year ago. Still asking questions about it?!?

yes the aleart show the total number of notifications and the number disapears while opening the app, so as all messages in the notification history.

but, when a new push arrives the number increases but the history is gone.

when will you fix this?

hi @jodohl push notification is as per normal ios  push notification so it's only a message with no history is my understanding .. ( unless you jailbreak and have an app called pushback I think it is ? I can't really remember as my new phone is stock at the moment  ) but I agree that it is very annoying that the push notifications aren't added to the notifications tab in the app / HC2.

if you want something to show currently in fibaro app notifications, it needs to be a popup notification .. but the app needs to be running  .. so following the format of  ..

or

could also be easily modified ..

personally I use telegram, as per the genius of @Lambik & @boerremk ;

Telegram has been very reliable.

Oh, and I have also noticed that push notifications don't show when the app is open, not sure why that is but suspect it is a bug of some sort, I can't imagine it is by design.

Hope this helps !

Cheers,

al.

Edited by alandee
forgot the telegram update code !

Hello @jodohl!

14 hours ago, jodohl said:

(1) With the Fibaro iPhone app closed, push notifications shows up both on a closed as well as an open iPhone screen as expected.  However, the Fibaro Icon is marked with the red "alert icon", but the Notification tray in the app is empty and the Log shows zero entries.

You need to distinguish two different notifications:

- iOS-system-wide

- notifications from Home Center system

Those push notifications which disappears are just simple push notifications which, for example, are set in some scenes.

On 28/02/2018 at 8:40 PM, I.Srodka said:

Those push notifications which disappears are just simple push notifications which, for example, are set in some scenes.

Yes, but you get a notification bubble ( red dot with number of pushes ) in the app which is confusing as there are no notifications.

I understand it is only an IOS push but, it would be better not to show notifications waiting if there isn't one waiting ?

Cheers,

al.

To explain my last post a little further .. 10 notifications showing in the app bubble at the bottom ..

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Zero notifications showing within the app ..

and no notifications in the notification centre ..

Can you record the push notifications it sends ? or if not, then it shouldn't show the bubble :)

Cheers,

al.

Hi @I.Srodka, yes, as per @KristianO ..

Indeed, now I am using push for a particular scenario, ( I usually use telegram ) it increases ..

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_03/Image-1.jpg.fdb9197b61f9784ef2f42aa06c841c2f.jpg" alt="Image-1.jpg.fdb9197b61f9784ef2f42aa06c841c2f.jpg" />

doh !

Cheers,

al.

Up for a funny story?

”A guy reported a problem with a system 1 year ago. He patiently explained the problem he got and got a lot of replays about - Do you know the difference between pop-ups and push. - Pop-ups do not show in the history panel. Etc etc. He gave up. 4months later he tried again, Now new guy replayed. Same response, as from a script. He gave up again. Third time, hoping for the best! Same response... After 1 year he reads this.”

One day I will show up at a Fibaro performance and ask questions about features they claim to support. This is just one. How secure is the system if a reported water leak disappears by just opening up the app?

You can laugh now. 

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

@alandee, did you try refreshing network data?

FIBARO -> Settings -> Refresh network data

@KristianO, what you reported is not a bug, it's just a different philosophy. I admit, it may be confusing and we take your suggestions seriously but at this time, those are just different type of notifications.  

Not a bug? I see by the icon I got 12 push notifications reported on the app. Where are they? In history I got only 1.

I set the settings to keep the history, but it’s still not.

please explain why the app is working completely different then ALL my other apps using push. 

12 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

@alandee, did you try refreshing network data?

FIBARO -> Settings -> Refresh network data

Yep it clears them, but they build back up. Each push adds a notification to the bubble which is not in notifications.

To be honest it does sound like @KristianO same issue, but I'm not familiar with the initial report.

Also is it normal not to get a push notification when the app is open ?

So I don't get push notification on my ipad or iphone for instance if I have it running fibaro app all the time ?

Makes my doorbell push impractical if I'm using the app to control my home :)

Cheers,

al.

this is one of the most confusing features of fibaro.. the term notification is so confusing. The whole notification system on fibaro needs an overhaul. If you go use a system like SmartThings or Vera, Notifications are a breeze.. Fibaro's are just a shambles

• Like 1

8 hours ago, alandee said:

Yep it clears them, but they build back up. Each push adds a notification to the bubble which is not in notifications.

To be honest it does sound like @KristianO same issue, but I'm not familiar with the initial report.

Also is it normal not to get a push notification when the app is open ?

So I don't get push notification on my ipad or iphone for instance if I have it running fibaro app all the time ?

Makes my doorbell push impractical if I'm using the app to control my home :)

Cheers,

al.

The Ios plattform support notifications to show push even in foreground but it needs to be implemented, its not std by default.

Please login or register to see this link.

@amurray85 totaly agree. Why dont the just keep all the messages into the notification button of the app? Like everyone else is doing. Fibaro keep saying that this is not normal? ALL my other apps do this. 

@I.Srodka Can you please try the following and tell us the result.

- Receive a normal push (While app is closed)

- Open the app and close it again

- Recive a second push.

- What do the app notification counter of the app tell you? (Lingon berry counter of the app)?

- How many notifications can you see in the Notification center? 

- Are the number of notifications in the center corresponding to the counter of the app?

I totally agree with @KristianO.

The "notification" in the Fibaro IOS App is a total mess and completely useless. What is the point on showing that there is 7 notifications (with the red lingon berry on the app icon) when there is no chance what so ever to see these Notifications anywhere.

@KristianO,

I've received a normal push (while app is closed)

I've opened the app and closed it

I've received a second push.

The badge number indicates 1 and there is only one notification waiting. Everything is as it should be?

@I.Srodka

Thanks for your test.

- How come the first first push is removed from the center? Despite the setting "Show in history" is set?

- If i do the same the "lingon berry" would show "2" on the counter and still only 1 in the notification center.

I have installed the app twice, but its still there. How do i record i video like this? so i can show you?

Thanks!

To add screen recording:

Add Screen Recording to Control Center. Go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls, then tap 

Please login or register to see this image.

next to Screen Recording.

Then you will have it in Control Center.

2 minutes ago, KristianO said:

- How come the first first push is removed from the center? Despite the setting "Show in history" is set?

The notifications are cleared once you open the app of their origin ; )

3 minutes ago, KristianO said:

and still only 1 in the notification center.

Do you swipe up once you open notification center to see the older ones?

5 minutes ago, I.Srodka said:

To add screen recording:

Add Screen Recording to Control Center. Go to Settings > Control Center > Customize Controls, then tap 

Please login or register to see this link.

next to Screen Recording.

Then you will have it in Control Center.

The notifications are cleared once you open the app of their origin ; )

Understod, but why? No other app does that! They are keep there until you manually remove them. I got hundreds of notification in my center from all my other apps. They are keept there even after i open up their app.

It keeps god control. What if you got several push messages and opens up the app and forget what all of them was about? 

Edited by KristianO

@KristianO agreed, I think we both consider this an issue.

I get a notification of door open door closed for carers coming into our house ( long story but door lock doesn't tell me who comes in and out :( ) .. I might get a dozen notifications during a day.

I also have cameras to keep an eye in between times on my elderly mother .. and also if she wanders and opens the door between visits I like a notification so I can head home to intercept, but if I check the cameras and have the app open, I lose history of who is in and who is out and how many visits she gets a day..

Currently I write them down .. this isn't home automation !

I can keep doing what I am doing, but it would be nicer if the app behaved as I think users expected rather than the way it does, and I can't see that it is a major change, just a minnor change to make it better :)

14 hours ago, I.Srodka said:

I've received a normal push (while app is closed)

I've opened the app and closed it

I've received a second push.

The badge number indicates 1 and there is only one notification waiting. Everything is as it should be?

I'm not sure it is useful to have a notification but nothing that it links to, or history to review ..

For instance, lets say you get a push that there is something amiss, you go to the app, and you have to then find what is amiss .. you can't see the log of sent, you can't get to the event log, and if you have the app open you don't get the push at all ..

So .. at the end of the day, I have to do what I've done for all my others, then you need to do popup so you have a history, and push notification so you have a sound and instant notifications I guess .. or use telegram, but I haven't changed this scene over yet, as it is all new scenario, which is how I came to notice this.

Cheers,

al.

Just added popup notification as well as push, so at least i have a history till I get around to telegramming it .. and now I don't have to write it down ;)