Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

iOS push notification problem

jodohl

Question

I have set up a few push notifications to my iPhone 7+ to alert me of key events triggered by my Fibaro HC2. The following problem occurs:

(1) With the Fibaro iPhone app closed, push notifications shows up both on a closed as well as an open iPhone screen as expected.  However, the Fibaro Icon is marked with the red "alert icon", but the Notification tray in the app is empty and the Log shows zero entries.

(2) With the Fibaro iPhone app open, nothing happens. No sound alert, no message, empty "In tray", zero log as above.

Has anybody an idea how to solve this? I have checked my iphone settings and activated all relevant Notification options.

1 hour ago, alandee said:

Just added popup notification as well as push, so at least i have a history till I get around to telegramming it .. and now I don't have to write it down ;)

yes this will work but tbh you shouldn't have to know code to get this to work.. notifications are a mess..

I should be able to get an ios push notification and than open the app and that same exact noficiation should be in the notification center.

Fibaro ecosystem is very flexible and is fantastic as an appliance but the front end is terrible. The app is poorly designed and outdated. 

I've had many rants on this forum about this system vs its competitors and i keep going back to thinking that the fibaro dev team is quite small in comparison to others.. i dont know this but its just how it seems.

For example, Apple removed all that fake timber looking design elements in its OS back in like ios 8 or 9 yet Fibaro is still rocking the fake timber look. 

one feature i've longed for is for the ability to be able to go to the event log and see what scene turned a light on.. This helps with troubleshooting code or scenes.

• Like 1

@amurray85 Event log would be a bonus for sure... as would tapping the current consumption and seeing what is using the energy, and the list goes on ..  but alas ..

It is I guess a fine line between having functionality and having to learn to code and things. It's a BYO hardware system so it's more difficult and always will be more difficult than say an apple product, with closed ecosystem and strict parameters.

Currently I think the options are accept a boxed product, and it's inherent restrictions,  or unfortunately, learn how to come up with work arounds.

I'm happier now I get a notification along with the push, and it took all of 2 minutes to implement, but you are exactly correct, it would be nicer if it was just included for a basic function without doubt.

Cheers,

al.

On 28/02/2018 at 5:22 AM, jodohl said:

as anybody an idea how to solve this? I have checked my iphone settings and activated all relevant Notification options.

You can try adding a popup notification to give you a history of the push as well ..

I'm not a coder .. at all .. but I use the following unashamedly stolen and modified from @Sankotronic great tutorial ;

Please login or register to see this code.

Sure a workaround, but it should be fixed.

Example: The Counter says "2" but I got only 1 message in Notification Center.

As shown The SPC Home alarm keeps the history as all other apps do. The Fibaro notification gets lost.

I used Telegram before, but hoped that Fibaro solved there issues. Time to get back?

Edited by KristianO

• Inquirer
  • On 8.3.2018 at 2:44 AM, amurray85 said:

yes this will work but tbh you shouldn't have to know code to get this to work.. notifications are a mess..

I should be able to get an ios push notification and than open the app and that same exact noficiation should be in the notification center.

Fibaro ecosystem is very flexible and is fantastic as an appliance but the front end is terrible. The app is poorly designed and outdated. 

I've had many rants on this forum about this system vs its competitors and i keep going back to thinking that the fibaro dev team is quite small in comparison to others.. i dont know this but its just how it seems.

For example, Apple removed all that fake timber looking design elements in its OS back in like ios 8 or 9 yet Fibaro is still rocking the fake timber look. 

one feature i've longed for is for the ability to be able to go to the event log and see what scene turned a light on.. This helps with troubleshooting code or scenes.

Totally in agreement with amurray85@ . Yes Fibaro is also a BYO system (that's why I bought it in the first place) . But it is also a low entry barrier system due to it's admittedly marvellously accessible interface and programming functionality. Included the block scene editor. Which lifts it far above other systems that are either extremely limited or very geeky programming dependent systems. So I would guess one of the competitive advantages is to keep customers like myself, namely quite creative and interested in putting the system to practical uses, but not very willing to dive into the serious depths of LUA programming. So keep improving guys!

A notification center in an app with no notifications seems to me like a half way house. Likewise an iPad app not able to run virtual devices also seems to be unfinished business. And please Fibaro, do not waste your development team on animating flames to indicate that temperature is being measured....

• Like 1
    • Thanks 1

On 8-3-2018 at 12:21 AM, alandee said:

Currently I write them down .. this isn't home automation !

You're using the Telegram solution, right?

Just a tip, make several Telegram bots. I have one for logging (no sound alert), one for notification (with a short beep sound alert) and one for alarms (with long alarm sound). This way you don not have to act all the time when signals/messages are received. Just acting when it is needed.

You could even make a separate one for your doorbell...... ;D

I don't use any Fibaro or other email/push/whatever notification at all. It's working like a charm and you have all notification 'archived' safely outside the Fibaro 'services'.

At the moment I also send camera pictures to Telegram when something 'strange' occurs. It will also present me 'self configured' buttons to react fast!

This is done by using a Rapberry Pi, using Node-Red,  with several protocols to communicate (MQTT, REST-API, HTTPS) with other IoT (like camera's, a Athom Homey, Roomba, Ikettle etc.). If interested check my old topic for info, when I made the first attempts:

You can also use that topic for questions.

Just some suggestions to make your life a bit easier and get really in control of your Home Automation devices. Hope it can help.

cheers @Lambik, I am currently adding a second bot for my doorbell and will add a third for the lock unlock status. Spot on.

Telegram is my goto, but it shouldn't need to be ? or maybe its better to have expert apps in each field, but integration is really the best option for ease of use.

So integrating telegram into my Fibaro ecosystem is the best option for the moment.

Cheers,

al.

In order to receive notifications on an open app, I'd recommend switching from push to pop-up as push notifications are not shown on an open app.

However, I'm curious about the case @alandee brought up and the fact that notification number on the app icon does not go back to zero after opening the app. Can you show me the scene responsible for sending the notifications?

Hi @A.Smolinski to be honest I've given up on trying to come up with a workable and reliable notification within the app, and now use Telegram for the notifications.

It is more suited to monitoring in that I still get a notification when the app is left open, has more fuctionality in the way it alerts me and has been very reliable.

This is one of the disabled scenes I was using, I'd probably be more excited if we could get userCodes for door lock access ..

Please login or register to see this code.

Cheers,

al.

This is such a funny topic that I want to chime in.

Funny in that way, that fibaro is denying there is an issue.

@KristianO is right. @A.Smolinski is wrong.

How comes I can state that?

Let's say I have a scene to send me a push message whenever someone rings the bell on my fibaro intercom. (yes I need it because in 50% of the cases the bloody intercom app doesn't recognize someone is at the door :x).

Now to simplify analysis i have extracted the push part into it's very own scene.

2018-05-15_10-39-29.png.1c2923874a86d78c5c8ada10cdca9f1b.png

and here is the video about it.

First no counter on app.

1. push brings it to 28.

Entering app clears the counter.

2nd and 3rd push bring it to 30

thats it from my side.

kro

I agree to 100%

Still arguing with this issue with the support team that claims it’s not an issue nor it can’t be reproduced,

Sent them multiple videos of the issue,

I've forwarded this case to our engineers. Once I'll have any useful information from them, I'll be sure to let you guys know!

Keep your fingers crossed ;)

Okay guys! I'd need some of you to send me the following data :
    content of: HC_IP/api/devices?type=iOS_device

and the name of your iPhone from the settings -> genera; -> about

Guest kallecux

Since weeks i get no notification:

The result from this HC_IP/api/devices?type=iOS_device is: []

The name is "iPhone von Karl Heinz Hammelrath"

How can i reactivate/connect my iPhone?

Thanks!

Guest kallecux

After deleting all devices under Konfiguration->Zugriffssteuerung->Push Geräte

and restart the fibaro-app on my iPhone

there is a device list after calling HC_IP/api/devices?type=iOS_device

Now i have to change all lua-scripts because there is an new device-id

Edited by kallecux

Any luck with that ?

i have the same issue.... the problem is more than two years old. I hope this is resolved by now.

To solve your iPhone push notification problem, you can try out force restarting your iOS device, updating the iOS system, check some basic settings and so on. If they don't work, then you might need an iOS system recovery tool, that is the

Please login or register to see this link.

to fix this issue.