Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Continuous ping to Google.com

danielboe16

Question

Hi,

today I inspected my network traffic and noticed the hc2 is.pinging about 2-4 times per second to google.com. is this a normal behaviour and why is it implemented? Actually I see it as a massive network spam. Anybody else can confirm this behaviour ?

Hc2 is at version 4.160 and there are no devices or scripts that run more than minutely.

Thanks for helping

Daniel

19 answers to this question

Hello!

Thank you for your report.

We will look into this.

This continuous ping to Google.com is happening definitely too often.

Some other connections to Google may be caused by Google Analytics scripts which were implemented for the research purposes so we receive some basic insight into the use of some features  ; )

• Inquirer
  • Hi @I.Srodka  the analytics framework uses another DNS and I don´t think it sends "PING" Packages. So it´s definitly not connected to analytics framework.

Yes, they are different. I was talking about connections to Google in general ; )

hello Danielboe16, 

I have noticed the pings to google.com as well.

According to my pihole setup the HC2 does this about 64.000 times a day.

This also causes my network statistics to be not entirely exact. ;)

I have blocked them to find out what they where used for.

Turned out that the HC2 is using these pings to determine wheter it has an internet connection yes or no.

It might be a good idea to be able to let the user set to which ip the hc2 should ping and the frequenty of this, instead of the current situation. (not all people are a big fan of google ;)).

• Like 1

Same behavior here.

Installed a pi-hole a few days ago. Since the HC2 is on a static DHCP lease from my router it took a while for the HC2 to renew its lease and start using the pi-hole for DNS. I now see the HC2 at the top of all statics lists almost continuously DNS-requesting www.google.com

@I.Srodka thank you for looking into this. I understand the HC2 would like to know if a connection is available. Checking once a minute would already be a big relief for DNS requests. Changing settings myself, like  @pschuitvlot suggests, could be nice. However, I understand that would require more work from Fibaro.

There are also way to much connections to ml.fibaro.com, I would not know why there should be a connection every minute.

I just installed pi-hole and I can also confirm that HC2 is pinging Google every second. Can this be user defined? or reduced to every minute?. There is no reason to ping the server this frequently.

Patience, you guys. Our experts are working on the case but still need some time to resolve this ;)

23 hours ago, A.Smolinski said:

Patience, you guys. Our experts are working on the case but still need some time to resolve this ;)

Thank you for updating us @A.Smolinski ! Very good to know that this is still on the radar. Much appreciated!

lol... it's such an old topic. I almost couldn't remember it anymore.

Thankfully the search brought up the old thread by @Lambik that mentioned "privacy issues" and a possible way to opt out of the google analytics.

So don't hurry to send gifts to fibaro devs... it might take another day or two until this gets solved.

I also think 4 connections per second are a bit overkill to decide if the HC2 is online or not. In the end it's just to brighten up one of those stupid LEDs anyways. Isn't it?

Wonder if GDPR brings any insight regarding this topic to fibaro.

kro

• Like 1

On 5/14/2018 at 12:38 PM, A.Smolinski said:

As @kroeatschge quite rightly points out, you did had a lot time to resolve this.

On 2/28/2018 at 1:39 PM, I.Srodka said:

Some other connections to Google may be caused by Google Analytics scripts which were implemented for the research purposes so we receive some basic insight into the use of some features  ; )

Research purposes? Basic insight? Where can I check which data is used for what by whom? Where can I opt-out? Don't make me laugh!

The only way Fibaro is taking their customers' privacy seriously and respect the freedom to choose, is when they are forced to.

The GDPR is definitely the trigger Fibaro has to act on. No way Fibaro has ever listen to the concerns a lot of users had about these issues. With this new European law they are responsible for giving us,  users,  insight to all data. Even data handled by 3rd parties, like Google.

I can't wait to see the option appearing which gives me access to my data and a button to choose to delete it all.

Edited by Lambik

• Inquirer
  • The Problem still exists. I would like to opt out. I don´t want to share the data with google!

Over 3 Month now! What the hell is the problem to locate and to investigate such an easy thing? It´s your software so you need to know where and when data is shared!

If I´m wrong, please explain you position. Otherwise I´m waiting for a Fix this month, I don´t think I´m asking too much for an 500$ System that controls my complete house!

Thanks

Daniel

PS: By the way: Its not the uptime because the LED stays on if I block the querry!

Edited by danielboe16
    • Like 1

On 6/7/2018 at 10:53 PM, danielboe16 said:

The Problem still exists. I would like to opt out. I don´t want to share the data with google!

Over 3 Month now!

Well, it was more than 2+ years ago i found out, so don't get your hopes up that this will go away. :-)

Many people before me have raised this question multiple times, Fibaro have no interest in "fixing" this.

Not the ping, or Google analytics or anything with the option to opt in or out regarding privacy.

You can also have a look in the thread below where i compare the HC2, a Synology Nas and a Macbook and how many connections each device does over time.

Today the HC2 might not do as many or perhaps more, i haven't checked but it has gone down from 130 000 request (when i checked) to 64 000 times a day (according to this thread) since then :-D  so well done Fibaro......

It works though from Fibaro side, eventually we get tired of not seeing change and just give up or the techy guys and girls install a firewall.

Although, we cant do anything about the number of connections, only block.

• Inquirer
  • Sometimes I ask myself if you are kidding with your customers. After some updates I get even more requests from hc2 in my network

2018-09-03 20:14:00    A    update.fibaro.com    192.168.100.103    OK (cached)
    2018-09-03 20:14:00    AAAA    update.fibaro.com    192.168.100.103    OK (cached)
    2018-09-03 20:14:00    A    www.google.com    192.168.100.103    OK (cached)
    2018-09-03 20:13:35    A    ml.fibaro.com    192.168.100.103    OK (cached)
    2018-09-03 20:13:35    AAAA    ml.fibaro.com    192.168.100.103    OK (cached)
    2018-09-03 20:13:35    A    sms.fibaro.com    192.168.100.103    OK

What are those requests (20 and more every 5 seconds) for? I want you @FIBARO to explain me what your system with your software does in my network!