Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro Intercom Fundamentally Flawed

pascald

Question

I have tried to contact fibaro regarding a recent installation of the Intercom. No response through any channel. My conclusion after 2 weeks: the product is totally UNUSABLE.
Issues:
1. You cannot take a call on iOS devices  as login is not working most of the time hence you cannot intercept a call. Login should be immediate which is not the case.

The Login process is really bad: sometimes it works as local, sometimes as remote, sometimes not at all. And when you need to take a call, the not at all option is the most frequent. Additionally when you have a login issue, you would have to quit the app to hope being able to login again. 

2. It is too slow to show the video hence you never get the video of the people ringing

3. When you manage to respond on one device by intercepting the alert (audio mostly as the video almost never works) it keeps ringing on others
4. The iPhone app is poorly designed and not suitable for iPads which are used in horizontal mode (the most obvious mode) as rotation is not automatic and menus are not working in that mode
5. Login is regularly lost even for iOS terminals that stay permanently in one place (an iPad in the kitchen, wired)

6. It has crashed twice in a week, without reason

7. Voice mail feature is poorly designed and caller has no idea what to do (no message heard)
And additionally, no support provided. Fibaro doesn't respond to cases, neither to forums, etc.
The product is really bad and should maybe be abandoned by Fibaro that should better stick to more simple products and fire the engineers responsible for the Intercom.

I expect an intercom to:
- work 100% of the time on in-home terminals without login issues or lost streams

- provide a coherent and easy experience on these in-home terminals, analogous to what classical intercoms do

- be synchronised among terminals, ie when one terminal takes a call, the others would stop ringing within a second

- provide a systematic alert on 4G to terminals used when roaming outside of the home, video should work at least 90% of the time, audio 100%

this is the basis for an intercom. if that is not possible, drop it!

• Thanks 4

• Inquirer
  • Thank you for your comments Northyorks. The Fibaro folks don't even bother to confront the issues apparently. I have about 200 connected objects at home and this one beats the record of the WORST connected object ever.

The following issues make it totally unusable in my view:
    1. Login Issues
    I am experiencing constant log-outs with my idevices. I have an iPad which never moves away from the kitchen and the signal regularly logs out. Travelling devices experience even more issues. Logging back in is a real pain: sometimes it works, sometimes not. Sometimes Local, sometimes Cloud. Sometimes I need to reboot the iPad. Sometimes it works with one user, sometimes with another user, sometimes with none. This seems to be totally random. Fibaro has never provided any explanation on when to use Local, when to use Cloud. Why certain logins would fail, etc. 
    This is a basic feature and there is no reason for this not to work. Local login should be done when no web connection is available. The app should remember the users and switch to local automatically if needed. This is how other systems work (Tahoma, etc.). 
    2. Video and Audio transmission
    Intercepting a call with audio and video LOCALLY (ie on LAN) doesn't work fast enough. Video is too slow and Audio is hashed.
    3. Mobile transmission
    The system doesn't transmit the calls systematically when roaming on 4G on a mobile device. 

I am setting aside the (real but less important) issues such as poorly designed voice mail or ongoing ringing on other devices when the call is intercepted.

Thus, the intercom remains unusable. 

Hi Pascal, I am currently building a new house completely stuffed with Fibaro (the new Walli lineup). Until now I was going to also buy the Fibaro intercom for the frontdoor. Hardwired in the network with PoE. But having read this thread I now am seriously doubting if instead going for the DoorBird D2101V is the better option. on paper the Fibaro Intercom is perfect. I do see some recent updates to the app. What would you do if you were me?

Best,

Jasper

I thin the intercom is pretty ok. It's not great but workable. 

Video quality is to low for the $$ you pay IMHO. As well as speed.

What I realy was looking for and couldn't find in any other intercom was the ability to open 2 different doors/gates from within the caller screen. 

Again, I think for the quality and speed they are way overpriced but the functionality is pretty ok.

I have purchased the  DoorBirdD2101V instead. Looks really nice. Customized color. Also has the feature to open multiple doors/gates from the app. And there is an option to integrate it in Fibaro HC2. 

• Like 1