Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SOLVED] RGBW - no output voltage

knuth

Question

In a test setup, I supply a standalone RGBW dimmer with 18 V battery power. I have configured the dimmer in input/output mode, with all four channels specified as dimmers. The configuration looks good, the latest firmware was downloaded successfully. No signals/switches are attached to inputs I1-I4, 18 V test lamps are attached to the outputs (R,G,B,W). When I turn on one of the channels, using HC2, the icon changes to "on" and shows "Transfer OK". However, nothing happens with the test bulb. Checking the voltage, it shows 0 between GND and R (or any other output channel). Between GND and the 12-24 V DC connection there is 18 V, as expected. 

If I briefly connect I1 to GND (simulating a momentary switch) the HC2 display shows that the lamp turns on or off. But again, there is no voltage on the R output channel. In other words: power and function are OK, but no output. Any suggestions?

Edited by knuth

4 answers to this question

Hello Knut,

Are you shure the lamp is connected between Output and 18V, not GND? The Outputs are switching to GND.

• Inquirer
  • Continuing my own query: The output from a RGBW is not pure DC, but PWM modified DC, in other words pulsed. I have assumed that my multimeter would register this as DC when output is at 99 % (max). Is this correct? May the meter reading be corrupted by the dimming function? 

The test lamps are regular incandescent lamps. I cannot see any problem in having these respond to even a dimmed PWM power supply. Any other views on this?

• Inquirer
  • Thanks! I was admittedly confused by this, but my current setup does have the two lamps connected between output (R & G) and 18 V supply as you point out (I did that the wrong way initially). Still no light, even though the icons indicate "on" and "transfer OK". 

My setup is shown in the diagram below

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by knuth
    Insert diagram

• Inquirer
  • Update: The problem was that my test batteries did not have enough power to drive the bulbs, resulting in an excessive voltage drop when the lights were switched on. This evidently caused the RGBW dimmer to fail. Connecting smaller bulbs, and resetting everything (exclusion, full reset, reinstallation and configuration), the RGBW dimmer now responds as expected.