Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Re-nameing of Mobile devices

Spindel

With two or more devices of the same model it is very hard to know which is which when for example sending push notifications in block scenes.

An option to manually rename devices would be great. (No it can´t be renamed on the devices as it´s the manufacturer / model name which is hardcoded)

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_03/image.png.cf4b1f691b1e5ddd15cfce0b0a27a7a8.png" alt="image.png.cf4b1f691b1e5ddd15cfce0b0a27a7a8.png" />

image.png.375c3b565406e01f664ccfa90a043a28.png

• 1 month later...
  • 1 month later...

Apple iPhone iOS allows users to change name of the mobile phone and tablet. I'm surprised that devices from so great manufacturer such as Sony with advanced mobile system such as Android installed on them does not allow users to change name of devices. Are you sure that there is no such option on your device? Maybe it is just difficult to find it due to great number of user configuration options available?

I agree that it might be nice to have requested option on HC to rename devices, but still for great number of users (Apple owners) is completely unnecessary. I suggest you to ask Sony or Google if they can add this option if it is really missing.

• Topic Author
  • 11 hours ago, Sankotronic said:

I suggest you to ask Sony or Google if they can add this option if it is really missing.

One can change the phones bluetooth name but this is the hardcoded information, manufacturer and model number. I doubt they will ever allow users to change that. 

I would say that this is in Fibaros intrest and it should not be that hard to have a rename function. 

• 1 year later...
    • 1 month later...

@Sankotronic, could you tell to us how fibaro get this information ? to be able to open a ticket to Google.

Because it's not link with the modèle name, for example for my nexus 5x it's "LGE Nexus 5x"  but the modèle on my android system section is Nexus 5x.

• 3 years later...

Unfortunately, the problem  is with iOS devices, also. Only "iphone" and "iPad" are the shown names.

In the past, HC2 took the given names from the devices (like "Peter's iPhone") which was comfortable.

Rename mobile device:

1. Open your browser

2. Type in the IP of hour HC2 followed by "/docs/" (e.g. "192.168.178.150/docs"

3. Check your devices by clicking on "Expand Operations" in line "iosDevices : Operations about iosDevices", first, then by clicking on the blue button "TRY IT!"

4. You'll receive all registered mobile devices with their ID - remember these IDs (for example "123")

5. Click on "List Operations" in line "devices : Operations about devices"

6. Click on "Modify device" in the orange box "PUT"

7. Type in your ID (e.g. the above "123") in the field "deviceID"

8. Type in the operation "{"name": "NEW NAME"}" and click the orange button "TRY IT!"

Edited by Orgli
    • Like 2

In IOS

Go to Settings > General > About > Name

Tap , enter a new name whatever you want then tap Done

All my devices have different names (Settings > General > Info) - but my HC2 (4.630) does not take these names. Only "ipad", "iphone" is shown...so I have several "ipad" and "iphone"

Edited by Orgli

• 9 months later...
    On 12/10/2022 at 9:28 AM, Orgli said:

Rename mobile device:

1. Open your browser

2. Type in the IP of hour HC2 followed by "/docs/" (e.g. "192.168.178.150/docs"

3. Check your devices by clicking on "Expand Operations" in line "iosDevices : Operations about iosDevices", first, then by clicking on the blue button "TRY IT!"

4. You'll receive all registered mobile devices with their ID - remember these IDs (for example "123")

5. Click on "List Operations" in line "devices : Operations about devices"

6. Click on "Modify device" in the orange box "PUT"

7. Type in your ID (e.g. the above "123") in the field "deviceID"

8. Type in the operation "{"name": "NEW NAME"}" and click the orange button "TRY IT!"

Excellent solution Orgli, worked perfectly for me just with the steps you described.

Thanks!!!