Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Auto reconnect to dead nodes

Spindel

HC2 should in my opinion try to automatically reconnect to dead nodes and if that fails x times in xx minutes (x and xx should be configurable for the user as a global setting) I want to be notified, by push or other (also configurable). 

Hi!

in the forum. as far as I know, we have at least 3 scenes about that. yes, with notification, a configuration of timeout and blackjack :)

• Topic Author
  • 58 minutes ago, 10der said:

Hi!

in the forum. as far as I know, we have at least 3 scenes about that. yes, with notification, a configuration of timeout and blackjack :)

And my suggestion is that it should be implemented as standard. Many users want things to work "out of the box" without having to spend time with workarounds/special solutions/codeing  etc.

Blackjack? Autocorrect I suppose? 

4 minutes ago, Spindel said:

Blackjack? Autocorrect I suppose? 

No :) Bender, Futurama (с) 

Yes... But a "dead" node is the result of... "x communication failures in y time" so it already kind of does what you say.

I think... you underestimate the amount of traffic you have to send to a (really) dead node. Dependig on the age and firmware, it causes a flood of packets, because all possible routes are tried. That is why the "dead" status exist: to avoid stalling your network.

I understand, sometimes nodes become dead for no good reason. In that case... a script might be a good solution. I am a lucky guy, I do not have random dead nodes. But I do occasionally run a script to do an "all off" including dead nodes, because a very small amount of my nodes is un-powered. Which is not a good idea, but sometimes I break the rules...

6 hours ago, 10der said:

No :) Bender, Futurama (с) 

;D

LOL

• Topic Author
  • 16 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Yes... But a "dead" node is the result of... "x communication failures in y time" so it already kind of does what you say.

Ok, I understand.

However, if a node is marked as dead I want to know about it without having to manually check in the web interface or application every now and then.

I think that push and/or mail notification should be a standard behavior, or at least an option.

2 minutes ago, Spindel said:

I think that push and/or mail notification should be a standard behavior, or at least an option.

A bit like a "low battery" warning? That would be nice indeed. Now a dead node can go undetected for a while...

BTW if you want community support to improve the dead node issue you have, maybe start a new topic. It might be your mesh network is not OK or you might simply have not enough mains powered devices to route messages. There can be many reasons!

If you have a very specific problem... I'd use Lua code to work around the issue. If you really want a "quick fix" for a single device that occasionally goes dead, you can set "Mark if dead" to "no" on the "advanced" page of the device.

There are also two global settings, "Polling dead devices" and "Mark nodes as dead" that can be useful in specific cases. For instance: if your controller runs on an UPS, and you experience a power cut, the controller by default will mark a lot of devices as "dead" (because.. well... they really are dead!)... But I would not change those settings without consulting this forum.

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 3 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

A bit like a "low battery" warning? That would be nice indeed. Now a dead node can go undetected for a while...

I guess, haven't had low battery on a device jet.

But if I remember correct it´s just a notification by mail? I´d prefer push as I prefer to sync my mail manually.

Yes, standard "low battery" detection sends a mail every 30 minutes.

If you want to learn more about battery status and/or try a nice scene, please have a look at this topic:

• Like 1

Errr...Pardon me. I vividly remember there used to be push notification for dead nodes. It flashes up on my iPad and iPhone notification center but when I access the Fibaro app, I cannot see it (probably because I am not using the Super User account on mobile devices). Come to think of it, I have not seen it in recent 4.16x releases.

Anyone recalls those push notifications before?