Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Ideas for automation beyond the ordinary lighting/heating/alarm applications

Ros

Dear all,

I thought it would be nice to have a place where we could share with each other ideas for automation beyond the ordinary lighting/heating/alarm applications. Here are several examples I am thinking to implement:

• Adaptive water heating - my heat pump has a mode called 'luxury water', which is basically driving the hot water tank to a 10C higher temperature to accommodate higher than average consumption of hot water in the house. Typically I need to turn it on only if several people take the shower one after another. I have two temperature sensors - top and bottom of the tank. When someone is taking a shower it typically results in a small temperature drop in the top of the tank, but in a big temperature drop over s short period in the bottom of the tank. I am thinking to implement a code as part of the water VD, which would be checking for the delta tC over the last 5 min to detect shower usage and turn on the 'luxury water' mode. 
  • Mindful lawn sprinklers - I have infrared barriers installed across the land plot as part of the security system. Beyond security, I am thinking to use these barriers turn off water sprinklers in case someone is at the lawn, so kids or guests would not get wet when the sprinklers suddenly turn on.
  • Smart gate - Another idea is to use the the door bell camera at the gate to automatically recognize my car arriving and open the gate. I do not yet have an idea on how to implement this practically, would probably require some tensorflow based image recognition trained at recognizing my specific car (and not opening the gate for other cars).
  • Smart towel dryer - this one is activated several times a day based on schedule and presence. It can also be turned on for 30 min via a regular wall switch. 

Any cool ideas you guys have? You are welcome to share it here!

Ros

Edited by Ros

• 3 months later...

Please login or register to see this link.

ou can use this for the smart gate. 

What you have to do is to get the rtsp stream of your doorbell(if it offers one) and install a PC software which "watches" the camera and if there is a licence plate detected it sends it to the cloud for processing and returns the information to your local computer. After that you have to write a script that(for example) will send a http request to fibaro to open the gate when the desired license plate is present.

And for the cool ideas question:

I want to measure the weight of the bed for presense detection. Lets say the bed weights "X" and when I am in the bed it weights X + 80, when my wife is in the bed it weights X + 50 and when we are both in the bed it weights X + 130. Having this measurements you can trigger many many scenes such as:

good night scene - If time is after 22:00 and bed = 130 then trigger good night scene.

or good morning scene(for me) - If time is after 6:00 and bed = 50(meaning only my wife is in the bed) then turn on the coffee machine(stupid example but you get the point)

The problem is I cannot find arduino compatible weight sensor for that much mass. Most of them measure to 20kg.

4 hours ago, miroslav.petrov said:

I want to measure the weight of the bed for presense detection. Lets say the bed weights "X" and when I am in the bed it weights X + 80, when my wife is in the bed it weights X + 50 and when we are both in the bed it weights X + 130.

Hi @miroslav.petrov,

have a look at:

:-)

• 3 months later...
  • Topic Author
  • So I have a 8x3 meter markize on the terrace and I've made it smart so that it opens and closes to a different degree depending on:

• Presence
    • Wind speed
    • Rain
    • Expected max daily temp
    • Sun azimuth

I like it!

Some things I've done @Ros that are a bit left of center...

Bathroom auto night led (keeping night vision)

I know its lighting but what about a auto-night light in the bathroom for during the night

I have lights built in to the bathroom mirrors that are smart but very bright

I'm going to add one small led strips strip behind each side, I'll set he color to red and a very low dim

If one of the kids gets up to go to the bathroom in the middle of the night, the MS6 in the bathroom picks up the movement and switches it on

After a set time of no motion , off it goes

Another option is TV control

Global cache GC-100-12 or itach to control IR commands over IP - endless possibilities

Auto Security alarm

Extension to auto gate is auto alarm on and auto alarm off when car leaves or arrives

(almost working, with sonoff RF bridge in cars)

Virtual alarm clock

Atart music and weather announcements in the various bedrooms on the mornng

Kitchen  Cabinet/Counter led lights (auto)

based on movement and time

motion sensor in kitchen picks up movement, counter lights fade up

no motion for a while counter lights fade down

Other lights in kitchen turn on - counter lights fade down

Workshop/garage auto dust collection 

cyclone&vacuum&pipe&blastgates,

Mcroswitches on blast gates, wemos d1 mini to detect open close, smart switch on vacuum to switch on

or just a smart switch on vacuum and a remote

...and my (wife) favouite 

Auto-electric blanket

Double relay - tie it to alexa for voice operation, add a schedule if that suits

automatically trigger on if temp outside is 5 deg C or less

Switch off 15 mins after sleep mode set

Auto-extractor fan in bathroom

MS6 monitors humidity level in bathrooms

smart switch on ext fan

off when humidity reaches lower level

temp probe in tube above extractor fan - if temp above 50 (fire !!0 switch off power completely to fan

Auto-mirror demist in bathroom

Same as (auto-extractor) above but trigger demist pad on back of mirror that I installed myself

Buying one with it installed can be very expensive, but simple DIY project

Equipment Rack auto-cooling 

Temp probe above each rack (UBS driven)

Plastic conduit, 3 PC fans and a length dryer hose

temp goes up, starting venting heat to outside. If Temp goes to high, cut power to parts of equipment racks

Understairs or hotpress auto lights 

Contact sensor, UBS and a light (or led strip) -+smart switch  and a bit of code

open door, light on, close door light off , door open for x amount of time, light off

Temp sensing in multiple fridges, freezers, and wine fridge

DS18B20 + UBS and some code to notify of issue

Could add smart switch to detect power loss

3D printer temp and job monitor

DS18B20 & UBS for temp monitor - smart switch for power, switch off if over temp

OctoPi running as print server (on RPI) that can detect job status (finished, % compete), etc), add camera for remote monitor

Can also control job pause, restart, cancel, using octoprint API

Tie to sleep/home/away modes to auto stop/start 3d print job based on house status

Google calendar - 

announce or send over email for week or few days

A challenge I want ... 

Autodetect visitor

If someone arrives at my front door, I want to:

• That my smart doorbell/camera detects the visitor via face recognition.
      • This visitor will be announced through my Sonos speakers.
      • Known persons will be announced ex. "King Larry is arriving the front door", for unrecognized persons this is ex. "a visitor is arriving the frontdoor"
    • Automatically captures the visitor's video stream on my NAS
    • When watching TV
      • my setup-box starts recording the program that I'm watching when this action is triggered
      • On my TV the video stream of the front door is displayed
    • Light lights if necessary.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Sjekke said:
    • That my smart doorbell/camera detects the visitor via face recognition

I think bunch of us would like to have this feature. My guess is to use something like

. We need to put together a group of people for this initiative...

Ideally we need people who know Linux and Python... Anyone up for this?

Edited by Ros

• 2 weeks later...
    W dniu 27.09.2018 o 08:30, Sjekke napisał:

• That my smart doorbell/camera detects the visitor via face recognition.
      • This visitor will be announced through my Sonos speakers.
      • Known persons will be announced ex. "King Larry is arriving the front door", for unrecognized persons this is ex. "a visitor is arriving the frontdoor"

A couple months ago I bought - Netatmo Welcome camera - it works like a charm.  I'm using push notifications from android phone and tasker to pass information about visitors to HC2 and then to sonos speakers to announce them properly :)

The image from camera is accesable by HC2 and also camera itself records only people that are not known.

@Ros about the smart gate, there are camera's that can recognize car plates, perhaps that's an idea

it's in dutch, perhaps you can do something with the idea

this is for homeseer and you can also see what the car branche is or is it stolen etc.