Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Adhesive tape detaches

Orgli

Question

In 12/2017 I placed two orders for several Fibaro-Modules for two different projects - amongst other tings nearly 40 Door/Window-Sensor Gen.2.

The modules came from an official Fibaro distributor and were originally packed.

With all (!) of the Door/Window-Sensor Gen.2, the adhesive tape detaches completely from the back of the sensor (Gen.2), but it holds firmly on the windows and doors (wood, plastics, metal and glas) etc.

Effected are three different objects with different climate conditions but all are heated 24/7 to at least 18°C and maximum 23°C.

The first one felt off about six week after installation the last one about eleven weeks after installation, now.

So it seems, there is a problem with the plastic body (back) of the sensors - perhaps a new mixture of the plastic granules or something went wrong during tape on.

Does anyone have the same problem ?

Thx
Orgli

5 answers to this question

Yes, I faced the same with the gen2 sensors, the adhesive is not worth much, while I had to remove the old adhesive with a cutter from the surface (failed sensors), the new one came off after already  few days (surface cleaned with acetone). I exchanged the tape with 3M VHB 9460 and now no problems anymore. I cleaned the surface on the sensors with a plastic de-greaser (forbo).

Please keep in mind the adhesive cures with a certain pressure over time, which I carefully apply when installing. See datasheets of e.g. the above referenced VHB adhesive

• Thanks 1

Same issue in my case. All gen2 felt off the door within the one week.

• Inquirer
  • The official distributor (region DACH) told me that the issue was reported to Fibaro...unfortunately Fibaro won't help.

Also there was no feedback, wether it was a production error or a problem with a supplier.

Of course, the solution is simple...use another, high-quality adhesive tape...it's a pity that a high-priced product like Fibaro has to be upgraded by the customer.

Feels like a field test of new components :-(

Mine too, and I tried different adhesive to but all failed. I had to screw all the sensors. All my gen1 sensors never failed though.