Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro thermostat for floor heating in another room

Tatnavo

I'm interested in using the fibaro z-wave thermostat on our floor heating system.

I got two questions:

-The manual says that the termostat must be mounted horisontally. Why is that? 

-The termostat will be mounted in the floor heating central and not in the room it will be controling. I will place a temperature sensor in that room and connect to the thermostat. Will that work?

Our floor heating has 8 circuit for 8 different areas/rooms each one controled with one thermostat. Its an wirsbo/uponor RWG system from 1991. To be able to fit the fibaro thermostat to the valve i will use an M28 to M30 adapter. 

3 minutes ago, Tatnavo said:

Why is that? 

Because of the position of the temperature sensors in the FGT. It measures room and valve temperature, but only when mounted horizontally.

4 minutes ago, Tatnavo said:

The termostat will be mounted in the floor heating central and not in the room it will be controling.

That won't work, because the algorithm uses information from both the external sensor *and* the internal sensor. Because the internal sensor is not in the same room, it won't do what you want. At least not with the current 4.3 firmware.

The FGT is designed to be mounted on "radiators", not underfloor heating. So I guess there are even more reasons why it would not work...

Hi @Tatnavo ,

I agree with @petergebruers about Fibaro thermostat usage. For Floor heating i would recommend Fibaro double switch 2 (8 circuts = 4 switches) or Heatit thermostat connected to valve drive. And each output could be bound to temperature sensor in the room via Linked device (i'm using this at home) for electrical heater.

But you need some valve drivers from Mohlenhoff. Something like this:

Please login or register to see this link.

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

Because of the position of the temperature sensors in the FGT. It measures room and valve temperature, but only when mounted horizontally.

That won't work, because the algorithm uses information from both the external sensor *and* the internal sensor. Because the internal sensor is not in the same room, it won't do what you want. At least not with the current 4.3 firmware.

The FGT is designed to be mounted on "radiators", not underfloor heating. So I guess there are even more reasons why it would not work...

Thank you! I was hoping that there would be a way to disable the internal sensor. I guess I need to wait and see what the future brings.

49 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

Hi @Tatnavo ,

I agree with @petergebruers about Fibaro thermostat usage. For Floor heating i would recommend Fibaro double switch 2 (8 circuts = 4 switches) or Heatit thermostat connected to valve drive. And each output could be bound to temperature sensor in the room via Linked device (i'm using this at home) for electrical heater.

But you need some valve drivers from Mohlenhoff. Something like this:

Please login or register to see this link.

Hi @jakub.jezek, thank you for your answer. If I'm using the Fibaro double switch I wont get the software algorithm that the Fibaro thermostat has? So it will be more or less working as it is today (on/off when below or above a pre-set temperature)? 

@Tatnavo , this one will allow you to adjust temperature via mobile or tablet app. So it turns on heating based on difference of desired and measured temperature. Pretty much same as other thermostats.