Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Feature request: Allow to save password in browser

Ralph

Hi,

I use a number of different systems to access my Fibaro HC2 and have to type in my password over and over again. There is no option to 'remember the password', and the browser functionality seems to be disabled by design. I do NOT want to use a 3rd party solution (such as lastpass etc.) to remember my passwords, I use the built-in functionality in the Edge browser to my satisfaction and this works for all - if not most - websites and it synchronizes across all of my devices. I am sure all other browsers will do the same perfectly fine without any add-on. I use a long, generated password (as I always do), but without the browser helping me out it gets annoying really quickly. So I usually leave a browser window open if there is stuff to do (which is just as insecure as any auto-login) and am thinking to change my password to the most simple version (which is even worse).

I understand that Fibaro is committed to keeping your domotica system safe, someone else opening your garagedoor would be a problem. But I really do feel that it is up to the user.. So my suggestion would be to add a system setting to 'Allow saving password in browser'. This will allow Fibaro to issue a warning on turning-on the option, and accommodate users like me who feel they have a tight enough system.

Thanks so much. I'm looking forward to hearing from Fibaro how they feel about this issue.

Regards,

Ralph.

I have my password saved in Mozzila Firefox, as well in Google Chrome.

• Topic Author
  • On ‎4‎/‎6‎/‎2018 at 2:52 PM, Bodyart said:

I have my password saved in Mozzila Firefox, as well in Google Chrome.

Without any add-on?

I tried Internet Explorer just to be sure.. both it and Edge support saving passwords but don't in the case of my homecenter page. Installing a different browser is no option here.

It's a std. function in most, maybe all browsers, so no addons are needed :-)

image.png.1fbae5cd338e09aae80a2780f985b8d9.png

See above example in Google chrome. In firefox and other browsers the same. You just have to tell your browsers to save your registrations/log-ins..

• Like 1

Hi @Ralph ,

I'm using

Please login or register to see this link.

to remember all passwords (15+ characters) i'm using. It's an addon for Mozzila Firefox, MS Edge and Chrome (those are browsers i'm using).

Regards,

Jakub

• 1 month later...

Hi all,

Safari definitely saves passwords in key chain. I also use 1Password which is well integrated in all most popular browsers: Safari, Firefox, Chrome. Don't know nothing about Edge since I liberate myself from Microsoft as much as possible :-)

• Like 1

• 5 weeks later...

On 4/6/2018 at 12:59 PM, Ralph said:

There is no option to 'remember the password', and the browser functionality seems to be disabled by design

You'r absolutely right, because of the lack of encrypted login by the HC2, the browser won't use autofill because of security reasons. Even Lastpass will disables autologin for that reason. The main reason browsers rejects it (to force awareness by the user) is that unencrypted logins can easily been seen when the local network is monitored. Because a lot of (other) IoT are easy to hack, the chance off a users local network is monitored is increased a lot by time. This means the non-encrypted login is becoming a real threat and is completely obsolete, even for local networks.

I asked for several years to implement https-login for HC2 without success. Fibaro is ignoring all security experts and its users. Check the timeline in the

Please login or register to see this link.

in the topic below. It's typical Fibaro behavior, IMHO....:roll:

• Thanks 1