Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to Connect Nest Thermostat

Shady Hamilton

Question

Dear All,

This is my First topic here, i am moving from Vera to Fibaro, I always wondered which one is the better controller, so I have to have hands on i guess to know which one is the better...

My first issue is my Nest Thermostat controllers, i have two of them, i read around the forum that there used to be a plug in but it is stopped by Fibaro to be updated or something, and I contacted Fibaro support, they said they are not going to work on the Nest plug-in because they are working on their own thermostat, so they don't want to support Nest in a way....

so my question is, since Nest is one of the most popular thermostat controller, did anybody find a way to connect Nest thermstat to Fibaro HC2 please?

Many thanks,

Shady

Ok fair enough I will read the rules, but when can we finally expect a plugin for Nest?  Why does it take so long to develop it? and why not being transparent about the status?  If it is really complicated then please let us know and explain it.    Thank you.

• Like 1

The only way to connect your Nest is programming in LUA and using api. The plugin is disabled and Fibaro doesn’t want to support it anymore. They only support their own thermostats.

• Inquirer
  • I found something through IFTTT but only to send commands to the nest, no reporting back. Do you know something better please? 

@Shady Hamilton , I checked the conversation.

I apologize, because apparently there was a little misunderstanding. The plugin for NEST will be eventually reintroduced, however, we do not know when. The engineer meant that we do not have a workaround for this solution and at the moment we are not working on one (still meaning the workaround). We have our Heat Controller and we will be still improving it so that we will be able to provide the best heating control devices :)

• Inquirer
  • Hi T.Konopka,

I am using the Home Center since 10 days or so, I am still new and discovering my way around. as i said, i am a Vera user, and i want to compare both products.

so far, it seems that the HC2 is a very nice product and is more powerful than Vera on the Zwave front (most my products are Firbaro products), it is very easy to use and to configure.

the downside of HC2 till now is the support for the third party products, to give you an example with the things i have:

Nest has full support on Vera plus, you can control everything and read temp and humidity, while in HC2 there is no support whatsoever 

Harmony is fully supported on Vera plus, you can control activities and devices. Harmony also report back so you can see which activity is on, while in HC2 you can send commands only, but you can't see what is happening

Amazon Alexa is almost the same on both platforms, however it is much faster with Vera, with the HC2 it take some time till the command is executed

[Edited]  I forgot the Philips Hue, on Vera, again it is full control, you can deal with the bulbs like normal lights, and you can trigger scenes directly, while in HC2 it is much reduced functionality.

so for me it seems the majority of work is being spent on the device itself but not on the integration with other brands which sometime might be a problem. I hope we will have the proper Nest and Harmony plugins soon as these are very popular and a lot of people are missing on working them from the nice HC2

Cheers,

Shady

Edited by Shady Hamilton
    • Like 1

58 minutes ago, Shady Hamilton said:

Hi T.Konopka,

I am using the Home Center since 10 days or so, I am still new and discovering my way around. as i said, i am a Vera user, and i want to compare both products.

so far, it seems that the HC2 is a very nice product and is more powerful than Vera on the Zwave front (most my products are Firbaro products), it is very easy to use and to configure.

the downside of HC2 till now is the support for the third party products, to give you an example with the things i have:

Nest has full support on Vera plus, you can control everything and read temp and humidity, while in HC2 there is no support whatsoever 

Harmony is fully supported on Vera plus, you can control activities and devices. Harmony also report back so you can see which activity is on, while in HC2 you can send commands only, but you can't see what is happening

Amazon Alexa is almost the same on both platforms, however it is much faster with Vera, with the HC2 it take some time till the command is executed

so for me it seems the majority of work is being spent on the device itself but not on the integration with other brands which sometime might be a problem. I hope we will have the proper Nest and Harmony plugins soon as these are very popular and a lot of people are missing on working them from the nice HC2

Cheers,

Shady

+1

On 4/16/2018 at 2:25 PM, Shady Hamilton said:

Hi T.Konopka,

[Edited]  I forgot the Philips Hue, on Vera, again it is full control, you can deal with the bulbs like normal lights, and you can trigger scenes directly, while in HC2 it is much reduced functionality.

Cheers,

Shady

+1

• Inquirer
  • Any News Fibaro, since they are all working on other systems properly i don't think the delay is form the third party side, is it that difficult to get the plug in working with NEST, Harmony, Alexa, and HUE. if it is done somewhere else that means its not that difficult...

• Inquirer
  • Hi A.Smolinski,  you sent me regarding warning points, but i didn't get what is wrong with the post. can you elaborate more please?

1 hour ago, A.Smolinski said:

@Sjekke @Landshark

Please, read the rules of our forum before posting. That includes the rules regarding warning points.

@A.Smolinski

explain please instead of posting a link. 

Edited by Sjekke

Before creating a post, every user is obligated to learn the rules of the Forum. I can't be explaining it in every other topic.

Each of you violated two rules: don't bump topics and don't quote a whole post.

I'm not going to give you any points, but please, in the future bu sure to adhere to the rules of our Forum. They're implemented in order to keep this forum clear and civilized.

I agree ... yesterday I watched a comparison of different HA gateways ... NEST was supported on Homey, Smarthings, Mi Casa, Vera ... but not on Fibaro ...

@A.Smolinski when will Fibaro re-support the Nest Thermostat?

@Sjekke , we do not have any date or timeline prepared for reintroduction of Nest plugin. We are focusing on releasing the new and stable version of the system. After that we will be able to estimate how much time and resources the Nest plugin will require. So, we do not have any news about Nest.

• Inquirer
  • @T.Konopka  thank you for the update, but don't you think it is a bad thing not to support 3rd party products at the same rate as the others?

we are not talking Nest only here but the rest of the 3rd party plugins are the same (Harmony, Amazon Alexa, Hue....) 

these plugins are very important for all the users because nobody use one product at home, everybody use all of these. if we have stable working version of the software i vote for working on the 3rd party plugins instead of working on a new version of the OS.... is there a way to escalate maybe, or sign a petition or vote maybe?

thank you,

Shady

Should be nice to have a section of the forum where you can add a feature request and vote for it ( just like many software companies have. For example Homey.

Edited by Landshark

Guest spazpeker

Use raspberry pi and node red for nest and push the info to Fibaro global variables nd display nest in a virtual device.

you can pretty much do that for all unsupported devices / services

• Inquirer
  • @spazpeker Thank you for the suggestion, do you have the details on how to run it please.

to be honest it will be going backwards, adding pi might solve the problem, but it is not convenient, especially if you are fixing it for somebody not at your own house, they will not have the knowledge to support it in case of anything went wrong.