Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to Connect Nest Thermostat

Shady Hamilton

Question

Dear All,

This is my First topic here, i am moving from Vera to Fibaro, I always wondered which one is the better controller, so I have to have hands on i guess to know which one is the better...

My first issue is my Nest Thermostat controllers, i have two of them, i read around the forum that there used to be a plug in but it is stopped by Fibaro to be updated or something, and I contacted Fibaro support, they said they are not going to work on the Nest plug-in because they are working on their own thermostat, so they don't want to support Nest in a way....

so my question is, since Nest is one of the most popular thermostat controller, did anybody find a way to connect Nest thermstat to Fibaro HC2 please?

Many thanks,

Shady

Guest spazpeker

Please login or register to see this link.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

Edited by spazpeker
https://forum.fibaro.com/topic/30009-how-to-properly-attach-images-and-clips-to-your-posts/

On 5/22/2018 at 10:38 PM, Landshark said:

Should be nice to have a section of the forum where you can add a feature request

There you go

We are doing what we can in supporting 3rd party devices and we devote more and more resource for that. But, as you can guess our system and our modules will always have the highest priority.

Hamorny - plugin should work as expected I do not recall any significant changes recently.

Hue - the same as above

Alexa - the integration works, but need improvements and we are working on it

• Inquirer
  • On 5/25/2018 at 5:44 PM, T.Konopka said:

We are doing what we can in supporting 3rd party devices and we devote more and more resource for that. But, as you can guess our system and our modules will always have the highest priority.

Hamorny - plugin should work as expected I do not recall any significant changes recently.

Hue - the same as above

Alexa - the integration works, but need improvements and we are working on it

- Do you have a module that can replace Nest?

- Harmony is running the very basic integration, Harmony is not reporting back its status to be able to know what activity are you running now

- Hue is not showing under lights, you have to go to plugins to run it. when you open the lights in some room the Hue is not among them

- Alexa is as you said, it works but slow and sometimes time out. Can't check the status of a lock or Lock it (like Vera for example), only supports block scene

5 minutes ago, Shady Hamilton said:

- Do you have a module that can replace Nest?

- Harmony is running the very basic integration, Harmony is not reporting back its status to be able to know what activity are you running now

- Hue is not showing under lights, you have to go to plugins to run it. when you open the lights in some room the Hue is not among them

- Alexa is as you said, it works but slow and sometimes time out. Can't check the status of a lock or Lock it (like Vera for example), only supports block scene

i guess that fibaro is making there own thermostat, in combination with there radiatorvalves you can control every room in youre house.

alexa is working fine icm ha bridge, so you can try that if you want.

• Inquirer
  • 2 minutes ago, akatar said:

i guess that fibaro is making there own thermostat, in combination with there radiatorvalves you can control every room in youre house.

alexa is working fine icm ha bridge, so you can try that if you want.

If they are making there own thermostat that doesn't mean they stop supporting one of the most famous thermostat. and if they don't have their thermostat ready yet then we are still without a solution.

Alexa can work with HA bridge, but adding a computer or PI to your setup just to enable a feature that all other vendors are having by default is not quite right.

• Inquirer
  • Can i ask what thermostat are fully supported on the HC2 please? is Echobee supported? 

cheers,

On 4/9/2018 at 11:29 AM, T.Konopka said:

@Shady Hamilton , I checked the conversation.

I apologize, because apparently there was a little misunderstanding. The plugin for NEST will be eventually reintroduced, however, we do not know when. The engineer meant that we do not have a workaround for this solution and at the moment we are not working on one (still meaning the workaround). We have our Heat Controller and we will be still improving it so that we will be able to provide the best heating control devices :)

See, just as we expected.. cause why would you integrate world leading devices into your gateway if you need to promote your own products...

such a shame Fibaro.. Do not listen to your users....why should you ?

• Like 1

@Shady Hamilton , we will not stop supporting Z-wave devices.

Nest, however, was a plugin so it was an integration and, therefore, the approach may differ. If a manufacturer of the device that is integrated via plugin changes something we have to estimate what was changed, etc. I don't know how I can explain this better. But, I can assure that we do not want to abandon any integrations - if we do so, we will inform about this and give a short explanation.

On 5/28/2018 at 12:30 PM, Shady Hamilton said:

Can i ask what thermostat are fully supported on the HC2 please? is Echobee supported? 

Any Z-Wave thermostat should work, but it may not have a template.

Four months now from 

On 6/4/2018 at 5:14 PM, T.Konopka said:

@Shady Hamilton , we will not stop supporting Z-wave devices.

Nest, however, was a plugin so it was an integration and, therefore, the approach may differ. If a manufacturer of the device that is integrated via plugin changes something we have to estimate what was changed, etc. I don't know how I can explain this better. But, I can assure that we do not want to abandon any integrations - if we do so, we will inform about this and give a short explanation.

Any Z-Wave thermostat should work, but it may not have a template.

It is almost 4 months now from the last post from @

, We need to know if there any progress with Nest plugin?

• Inquirer
  • What a petty, nothing on that front.... they didn't even come up with a time frame.... not the nest nor any other 3rd party products we asked them to work on.....  I just went back to my VERA, it is shame, i liked the HC2, however i can't just work with Fibaro products only, and they kept giving lame answers one after the others. basically they have something in their policy which is not allowing them to develop 3rd party solutions when all other vendors are doing it.....

6 hours ago, Shady Hamilton said:

basically they have something in their policy which is not allowing them to develop 3rd party solutions when all other vendors are doing it

Not true. The NEST plugin does not have a high priority at the moment, that's all. Yes, we do not have a time frame for this.

@Shady Hamilton , we introduced a couple of integrations recently:

1. Please login or register to see this link.

2. Please login or register to see this link.

3. Please login or register to see this link.

- Google Home Control
    4. Please login or register to see this link.

5. Please login or register to see this link.

6. Please login or register to see this link.

4 hours ago, Shady Hamilton said:

Alexa, Harmony, Hue

These integrations are available in the system. They were not disabled and can still be used.

There has been an issue with Harmony, but it has been fixed what was confirmed here

Alexa integration is being worked on and developed, let's say as we speak.

Hue integration works fine so far.

I understand that each user wants the integration of one's interests to be our main focus. I am aware of this as I am en end-user of many products as well.

I was instructed to inform the community that the NEST plugin will be reintroduced - we will create a new plugin as we need to create it from scratch.

I apologize for the inconvenience, and believe me that the team responsible for integrations is being regularly informed about demands from our community, and not only about NEST.

Is there anything else about the NEST plugin you want to know, which is the subject of this thread?

1 hour ago, T.Konopka said:

Hue integration works fine so far.

Sorry for OT (hijack) and contradict in this one: During December 2017 and February 2018 i tried it with Fibaro plugin and color tempeerature of white did not work. Also with RGBW strip we had problem (color temperature of white and other colors). In my bad mood from it i changed all 22 HUE lights to @Sankotronic VD and everything works and can add it to block scenes, so interoperability is better.

Only in Philips TV plugin HUE control works.

1 hour ago, T.Konopka said:

Is there anything else about the NEST plugin you want to know, which is the subject of this thread?

Now regarding NEST. Will there be possibility of integrating NEST Smoke and CO? I know Fibaro has both devices in Z-Wave and i would understand if it will not part of plugin (sales, strategic, support, etc.). I'm asking since it is 2-in-1 device, speed of instalation (installing one physical only).

Unfortunatelly i do not have any other experince with it, besides installing and testing (partners showroom).

• Inquirer
  • @T.Konopka I know we discussed these in details before on another thread, but the team here keeps giving the same answers which are not a solution, so to repeat myself again:

- Hue is partially working, you can't use the lights as lights, they show in different place which make it hard to use them 

- Harmony do not report back its stauts as it is supposed to do, so you just send a command but you don't know the status of it

- Alexa is very slow to the point that you can't use it to control your house, it can't read all scenes and can't see locks (which are available when using VERA, so it is not Amazon issue)

- RFXtrx is not there at all

we know that every one wants his own things to work and that might vary from one use to the other, however, brands like Hue, Harmony, Next, Amazon.... etc.  are very famous and most people use them, so it is not about individual reqiests.

please understand that these requests are because we love the product and we want to use it, but you are not letting us use it because we can't use it alone without the integration of other things.

(a small example is when you say we want to start working on Nest from scratch. this answer is here on the forum since a year i guess, and till now it is the same answer with not even a date of completion, these answers are really frustrating)

On 10/3/2018 at 9:35 AM, Shady Hamilton said:

but the team here keeps giving the same answers which are not a solution, so to repeat myself again

If we keep saying the same then we do not have anything else to advise in the cases. I apologize but this is the truth.

- Hue is partially working, you can't use the lights as lights, they show in different place which make it hard to use them 

Plugins cannot be used in scenes. If you have a VD for HUE then you can do that. Plugins are not considered as a device in the system - it has been reported to revise that as an improvement and it is on the list. Moreover, VDs are added to the improvement as well so that they will also show as a certain device type.

- Harmony do not report back its stauts as it is supposed to do, so you just send a command but you don't know the status of it

This is clarified in Knowledge Base https://manuals.fibaro.com/knowledge-base-browse/how-to-integrate-logitech-harmony/

Notice: Remember that Logitech Harmony does not report its state to FIBARO Home Controller. Ongoing activities are visible only if triggered using Home Center system.

And it was like this since the beginning of the plugin. As far as I know, it will not be changed in the near future.

Alexa is very slow to the point that you can't use it to control your house, it can't read all scenes and can't see locks

Sure, this can be improved and it will be. Let us have some time to do so.

RFXtrx is not there at all

Were you informed that it will be available anytime soon? I do not recall any projects involving this solution. Apparently, it was never considered to integrate. But, we cannot say that it will not be introduced if there is demand for it and time/resources to do so.

I can't discuss the business decisions of the company as I do not have this kind of authority. I understand that users have other brands' devices and they want to use them with our system. All of the integrations need time and resources to be introduced to the system and of course there has to be a business decision to get the works started. At this very point, I do not have anything new to share about NEST - it is in development and it needs time to be finished. When it comes to the already existing integrations, we are willing to improve them and we are doing so (we're constantly collecting feedback), but again we need time and resources, and business decision that will set a priority for the works.

To sum up. We're not saying "no" to the ideas from the community, we gather ideas, asses them,  and then the company makes a decision that we should start works on the integration.

I think everyone here understands development takes time and I believe we also all have respect for priority of a company, however... the Nest plugin (and RFXCom support) would really be very helpfull for a lot of your customers that are paying for Fibaro HC2 hardware to get started ;)

It has been over 2 years that the Nest plugin has been gone and a development team usually doesn't need that long to create a plugin. If you look at Home Assistant, Domoticz or other software, Nest has been working forever. So I urge you to please discuss this once more with your board and see if Nest (and preferrably also RFXCom) support would be possible anytime soon. Your customers are waiting for you :) Sales will only go up once that is in!

• Like 1

On 10/16/2018 at 3:10 PM, tcviper said:

I think everyone here understands development takes time and I believe we also all have respect for priority of a company, however... the Nest plugin (and RFXCom support) would really be very helpfull for a lot of your customers that are paying for Fibaro HC2 hardware to get started ;)

It has been over 2 years that the Nest plugin has been gone and a development team usually doesn't need that long to create a plugin. If you look at Home Assistant, Domoticz or other software, Nest has been working forever. So I urge you to please discuss this once more with your board and see if Nest (and preferrably also RFXCom) support would be possible anytime soon. Your customers are waiting for you :) Sales will only go up once that is in!

I couldn't agree more and especially on the Nest front.  I've recently moved back to the UK from the US. In the US we were using a combination of Insteon and Z-wave devices and used a controller by universal devices as the brain/hub. I've spent some time evaluating the options to offer customers in the UK as Universal Devices units are not available. It appears many potential customers have already invested in Nest and therefore it is almost a must that any solution we recommend includes good Nest integration.

I have a question about the NEST topic, maybe somebody can help me understand the real reason behind a two year (as i read) blackout on this.

I bought an HC2 one week ago, firmware on delivery 4.056. While browsing, found the NEST plugin still available. I have installed it with my 3rd Gen Nest, apparently it worked, I was able to modify the temp. see the attached image.

However, I was stupid enough to do a firmware update to 4.162 and...NEST is gone, without any hope for the near future, as I can see.

Now the question: as long as less than one  week ago it worked (on an old firmware, true, but the same NEST device.....), is there any chance to have it even not updated in the plugin list, and we promise we won't complain (too much) ? I mean, the same 3rd Gen Nest worked, so if there is something modified, it is within the fibaro firmware, not with NEST....

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • if the plugin is still working with the old firmware, that means Nest didn't change anything!!!??? it means Fibaro blocked it with the new Firmware they introduced, is that right?