Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to Connect Nest Thermostat

Shady Hamilton

Question

Dear All,

This is my First topic here, i am moving from Vera to Fibaro, I always wondered which one is the better controller, so I have to have hands on i guess to know which one is the better...

My first issue is my Nest Thermostat controllers, i have two of them, i read around the forum that there used to be a plug in but it is stopped by Fibaro to be updated or something, and I contacted Fibaro support, they said they are not going to work on the Nest plug-in because they are working on their own thermostat, so they don't want to support Nest in a way....

so my question is, since Nest is one of the most popular thermostat controller, did anybody find a way to connect Nest thermstat to Fibaro HC2 please?

Many thanks,

Shady

Ofcourse it's by choice, if the whole word has a nest plugin only fibaro has not, it must be by choice.

• Like 1

We can only pray for Fibaro to listen to customers like us that still believe in this. I know for a fact I would have a ton more customers willing to buy Fibaro HC2 if it had Nest support (and preferrably RFX).

Edited by tcviper
  • Like 1

15 hours ago, Shady Hamilton said:

if the plugin is still working with the old firmware, that means Nest didn't change anything!!!??? it means Fibaro blocked it with the new Firmware they introduced, is that right?

Nest came with 2way verification as more companies did. They even offered Fibaro help which was refused by Fibaro.... That is the real deal at the moment

• Inquirer
  • 8 hours ago, SpaceCompany said:

Nest came with 2way verification as more companies did. They even offered Fibaro help which was refused by Fibaro.... That is the real deal at the moment

It is normal to refuse the help if you don't want it to work.   

Fibaro is not respecting their customers minds when they say they didn't finish working on the plugin in two years where all other companies didn't even stop supporting the plugin for a short period.

trying to lay the grounds for your own upcoming thermostat is one thing, and treating your customers with transparency and respect is something else.

when you want to introduce a new thermostat, try to be competitive by offering a good solution that people want to use, not by blocking other thermostats so we have no option but to by yours!!!!

• Like 1

The radiatorknob they have is nice but has a big issue... It does not controll the main valve of the heating system... You could use a switch or relay to open and close the main valve... But these days of saving energie, you want a thermostat communicate with the heating system and able to controll it by modulation... Fibaro has no option for that... 

• Inquirer
  • 10 minutes ago, SpaceCompany said:

The radiatorknob they have is nice but has a big issue... It does not controll the main valve of the heating system... You could use a switch or relay to open and close the main valve... But these days of saving energie, you want a thermostat communicate with the heating system and able to controll it by modulation... Fibaro has no option for that... 

Somebody was saying that they are working on a full thermostat, something like Nest. he was communicating with the support and they told him that they are working on one!

I dont want a thermostat...I want products of NEST fully and native integrated in Fibaro... Not via IFTTT... 

A Fibaro radiatorknob is a subvalve and only can controll that heating part... There is no script or mechanical part from Fibaro that works natively with the main valve of a heating system. 

Somebody has it working...? So we have proof now Fibaro has done their work? 

I have included an IFTTT scene for nest, it is working. But what it does is just to set to a defined value the thermostat, without being able to read it ( for example, set the temp to actualtemp + 2 dgr ). Is thee any other way, am i missing something with IFTTT?

Edited by skywalker

• Inquirer
  • 3 minutes ago, skywalker said:

I have included an IFTTT scene for nest, it is working. But what it does is just to set to a defined value the thermostat, whithout being able to read it ( for example, set the temp to actualtemp + 2 dgr ). Is thee any other way, am i missing something with IFTTT?

that is the only way i know, you can send commands, but you can't read data (temp or humidity)

On 1/2/2019 at 11:15 AM, Shady Hamilton said:

if the plugin is still working with the old firmware, that means Nest didn't change anything!!!??? it means Fibaro blocked it with the new Firmware they introduced, is that right?

I would say they have just removed the plugin from the list of available plugins...

Update just received from techsupport:

Thank you for response.

Plugin is still under development. It needs a solid cooperation between Fibaro and Nest. Unfortunately I am not able to specify time frame for plugin development. I hope it will prove possible soon.

Thank you for understanding.
    Have a good day.

• Like 1

How can use speak about a solid cooperation if you close the Doors that a world leading company is opening for you? This is the biggest b******* ive Heared... 

On 1/3/2019 at 2:18 PM, skywalker said:

I have included an IFTTT scene for nest, it is working. But what it does is just to set to a defined value the thermostat, without being able to read it ( for example, set the temp to actualtemp + 2 dgr ). Is thee any other way, am i missing something with IFTTT?

hey, can you share your IFTT scenes? There are people who want's to use NEST with FIBARO via IFTT if this is only option for now :) thanks

If you really need, no problem. But it is useless, you can only set a variable with a value ( for example 22 degrees C ) and every time you run the scene, nest goes to this  value. You are not able to read the values from nest ( temp, humidity... ).

found a better way these days, while still waiting for the plugin of fibaro: I have bought an Echo dot, it connects easily to both nest and fibaro. With voice comands I can find out the temp where the nest is and can set the new values + a lot of other star trek “functionalities”. And it costs just 50 Eur....

Hi, I've been using a script from a guy named Lukas to control and read my Nest in HC2 for over a year now. Works like a charm. It requires a scene and a virtual device. More info here: http://www.luckas.be/2018/06/10/nest-device-en-scene-v2/

The explanation is only in Dutch unfortunately.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_01/image.png.5e1c4c30c3692cc8d8376461699cf7e6.png" alt="image.png.5e1c4c30c3692cc8d8376461699cf7e6.png" />

In the right corner of lucks.be, you can switch to other languages, also to Englisch:-)

I test also this scene and VD, but get an error I not can explain.

No reaction from Luckas for support:-(

Hi, it needs a bit of tweaking (make sure the VD and the scenes correspond in LUA) but once it's set-up, it's working perfectly.

I'm using it in combination with a fibaro sensor that is installed in my kids room. Between 00.00 and 06.00, if temp drops below 17°C in his room, a scene will change the setpoint of Nest to 19°C until temp reaches 17.5°C again in his room.

Let me know if I can help.

Strange, It will not work with my Nest V3, (HC2 runs on 4.530)

steps I make:
    - Make new Scene and paste code v.2.1 and Save (write new id number)

- Download VD v3 en import to HC2, (write new VD number), change developer line in first button to ....nest.com/” and Save

- Get new pincode from Nest account site en put this in de VD,  put also the scene ID number in the bottom of de VD, and save

- Put VD number in de scene line 6, and save

- Push ones time to the "get pin" button on the VD and wait 15 minutes (see only my pin and de developer url in de VD, nothing more...also not after 15 minutes)

Lock into the scene, debug error;
    [DEBUG] 19:08:12: 2019-02-04 19:08:12.180257 [ fatal] Unknown exception: /opt/fibaro/scenes/23.lua:196: unexpected symbol near char(194)

Line 196; in the scene;  error = function(status)

What's got wrong....?

@Topcops, good evening. I get the same as @twanve.

If I comment out the error check like:

Please login or register to see this code.

I get this in the debug:

Please login or register to see this code.

If I comment out line 48 I get a repeating "access code requested" and "Received access code".

Would you mind sharing your scene, please remove your clientID and secret ;) .

If you don't want to share here without Luckas approval, please send in PM.

Thanks in advance,

Jim!

When I comment out the error, what you deed, A step forward;

[DEBUG] 20:06:55: running access code request
    [DEBUG] 20:06:55: code=YOU_PINCODE&client_id=85678ff8-99b5-47e5-b3fb-320dce57b9e6&client_secret=obH3q6WhTpzkdI5mL3zqRq3VT&grant_type=authorization_code
    [DEBUG] 20:06:57: Received Access Code
    [DEBUG] 20:08:19: 307 Status - URL cached

Please login or register to see this link.

[DEBUG] 20:10:22: Received Thermostat ID
    [DEBUG] 20:12:25: Received Thermostat Data
    [DEBUG] 20:14:29: Received Thermostat Data

Tip: look into you Nest App and go to settings --> "Works with Nest" 
    There must be Fibaro interface visible

It seems my VD and scene works now.....

Glad I helped, hmm my problem seems to be I cannot see Fibaro in my Nest app

Wonder what is going wrong on my end..