Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to Connect Nest Thermostat

Shady Hamilton

Question

Dear All,

This is my First topic here, i am moving from Vera to Fibaro, I always wondered which one is the better controller, so I have to have hands on i guess to know which one is the better...

My first issue is my Nest Thermostat controllers, i have two of them, i read around the forum that there used to be a plug in but it is stopped by Fibaro to be updated or something, and I contacted Fibaro support, they said they are not going to work on the Nest plug-in because they are working on their own thermostat, so they don't want to support Nest in a way....

so my question is, since Nest is one of the most popular thermostat controller, did anybody find a way to connect Nest thermstat to Fibaro HC2 please?

Many thanks,

Shady

I got stuck searching for a solution with the length of the curl command, that's were the error points to. But offered solution works...

I don't get past this step:

Please login or register to see this code.

I keep getting:

6 hours ago, emielstroeve said:

I got stuck searching for a solution with the length of the curl command, that's were the error points to. But offered solution works...

which offered solution works? were you able to get the tokens?

5 hours ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

I don't get past this step:

I keep getting:

For me that worked, but I had to link the nest to the google (gmail) account (so no more login with nest user id and pass), therefor all the devices that had the nest app need a change, to add them as "google home"/ family. When you see the thermostat in the google home app, should be ok and you can get an authorization code. But further than this....I am still blocked...

14 minutes ago, skywalker said:

but I had to link the nest to the google (gmail) account (so no more login with nest user id and pass)

I don't have a nest user id and password. The Nest thermostat is already linked to a google gmail account. 

got the tokens, made the curl command work !!!!

I will try to move forward and see what's the next blocking point :).

I am just like a kid getting a toy he was wishing for :)).....

IT IS WORKIIIIIIIIING !

I am changing the temperature from the VD, the nest app shows the changes, heat goes on and off as needed.

On the nest app, the step is 0.5, here it is the same but starting from the exact reading (0.1 step).

Humidity and temperature are correctly reported.

Thank you to all the ones who posted the steps needed to make it working! It was worth it - the hours spent trying and the 5 EUR paid :).

working.jpg.660e4f8778cc72da4d676ebb7ec7fad7.jpg

Edited by skywalker
  • Like 1

24 minutes ago, skywalker said:

I am just like a kid getting a toy he was wishing for :)).....

IT IS WORKIIIIIIIIING !

I am changing the temperature from the VD, the nest app shows the changes, heat goes on and off as needed.

On the nest app, the step is 0.5, here it is the same but starting from the exact reading (0.1 step).

Humidity and temperature are correctly reported.

Thank you to all the ones who posted the steps needed to make it working! It was worth it - the hours spent trying and the 5 EUR paid :).

Please login or register to see this link.

Hi @skywalker first of all .. CONGRATS ?.

Is het possible to make a step buy step manual for other users?

I am not sure I'll be able to, as all process is a long one and first steps I have made them months ago (as mentioned, I was just following the steps mentioned on this topic). But starting with the curl command with access and refresh tokens - I can do it, as I am fighting with this only in the last period. Where exactly are you blocked?

Edited by skywalker

Here I have tried to list the steps

• 1.       All process according to this (you start from here and..you end up also here):

-          Files attached on this page cannot be used as downloaded (vfib not recognized, as behind it is actually an HTML file – just have to take the code out of it,same for the fibaro-nest-bridge.lua). I will try to attach here the files directly, to be imported as virtual devices from file.

• 2.       Follow these steps to get the codes you need:

-          You have to make somewhere on the way a one-time payment of 5 EUR.

-          For later use (severl times…) note in a file the following codes:

o   project ID

o   Cliend ID

o   Client Secret

o   Authorization code

To get the authorization code, you have on the previous page a link where you have to insert the project ID and client ID – you get the code as a google page opened and you just have to copy the page URL, from where you extract the authorization code as mentioned on the page:

• 3.       When reaching for access token step, you have instructions to use a CURL command with some parameters. Fill the parameters with your values (Client ID, Client Secret, authorization code) and copy the complete link in a separate file.

I was not able to run the curl command neither on Windows 10 nor on 7…so do as follows:

-          Go to

and from their website download the postman windows app. Takes a few minutes. Login with google, to be easier…

-          On middle of the screen, on the right of Launchpad you have a  “+” . press it.

-          Switch on the request from GET to POST

-          Copy to the right of the POST the URL as saved in the CURL  link  you have already copied.

-          When you write it, you will see it will automatically complete lines below (basically splits the link into information for each key)

-          Insert a new key “access_type” and “offline” as value. Don’t know if it works without, I found this suggestion looking on different programmer forums, with it worked OK. It may work without it – I have not checked.

-          After this line was added, go up on the line of the POST and the link and click “SEND”, you will see below the beautiful access token and refresh token. If error, maybe authorization code was used and you shall generate a new one.

-         LATER EDIT: On the last link in point 2 above, after getting the tokens you have something about device list. I did not succeeded to get it (error 404), but actually don’t need it, so as soon as you get the access and refresh tokens, go back to link in point 1. THIS STEP SEEMS TO BE IMPORTANT, OTHERWISE TOKEN EXPIRES IN 7 DAYS. COULD NOT DO IT IN POSTMAN YET, GET 404 error. SEE IF YOU CAN DO IT SOMEHOW AND PLEASE SHARE THE WAY (OTHER THAN ASKING FOR A MAC USER LIKE I DID - Thank you again! ).

As this may not be successful from the beginning, you can go back to obtain another authorization code (once used, it is not working anymore). I have created it myself 3-4 times the code, about 5-6 clicks -> so takes 1 minute.

Once you have the 4 needed codes:

-          Project ID

-          Client ID

-          Client Secret

-          Refresh token

You are done with developers websites, you can go back in fibaro.

• 4.       Create the 3 VD based on the attached files (thermostat, temperature, humidity).
  • 5.       Take note of the ID of each of the 3 virtual devices – you have this info in the URL of the page when you are looking into each virtual device. You need this information further, together with the 4 previous noted codes.

6.  Create a scene where you copy the code of the attached file fibaro-nest-bridge and complete the information on lines 18 -> 30 (the 4 codes and the ID of each of the 3 virtual devices – be careful not to mix them)

• 7.       Run the scene.

You get a red message while running the scene, as access_token is NIL. Nevermind, it will work J.

• 8.       Check the virtual devices – if they read your NEST values. If yes, you can start playing with changing temperature to see if NEST app is showing the modifications.
  • 9.       Take a cold pepsi and enjoy the moment.            ?

I hope I have not missed any small step.....

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by skywalker
typo
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Thanks @skywalker I actually don't really know how, but I got it working. So there is hope ?

I didn't needed the postman.com tooling. 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

1 hour ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

I didn't needed the postman.com tooling. 

Just out of curiosity, how did you get the refresh token? took me like forever that stupid CURL command not working....

@skywalker I used the terminal application on my MacBook. I did have to remove some hard returns in de copy-paste. 

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

The virtual devices for temperature or humidity do their job but are unfortunately not recognized as temperature sensor or humidity sensor. 

• Like 1