Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How to Connect Nest Thermostat

Shady Hamilton

Question

Dear All,

This is my First topic here, i am moving from Vera to Fibaro, I always wondered which one is the better controller, so I have to have hands on i guess to know which one is the better...

My first issue is my Nest Thermostat controllers, i have two of them, i read around the forum that there used to be a plug in but it is stopped by Fibaro to be updated or something, and I contacted Fibaro support, they said they are not going to work on the Nest plug-in because they are working on their own thermostat, so they don't want to support Nest in a way....

so my question is, since Nest is one of the most popular thermostat controller, did anybody find a way to connect Nest thermstat to Fibaro HC2 please?

Many thanks,

Shady

If I can remember I used the terminal app on the Macbook for this part of the proces:

curl -X GET 'https://smartdevicemanagement.googleapis.com/v1/enterprises/xxxxxx/devices' \   -H 'Content-Type: application/json' \   -H 'Authorization: Bearer xxxxxxxx '

or this part:

curl -L -X POST 'https://www.googleapis.com/oauth2/v4/token?client_id=Xxxxxxxxx.apps.googleusercontent.com&client_secret=Xxxxxxx&code=Xxxxx&scope=https://www.googleapis.com/auth/sdm.service&grant_type=authorization_code&redirect_uri=https://www.google.com'

Edited by SmartHomeEddy

1 hour ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

Most of the time I use the Google Nest iPad app. 

Me too, the Fibaro Nest connection is just a gimmick for me, but i like to see it work.

28 minutes ago, SmartHomeEddy said:

It is a pitty the proces is so terrible, otherwise there would be a simple step by step tutorial. 

If I send you a PM with the new authorization code (complete link, of course), just to execute it and return the two tokens, would you be so kind to help for a test?

maybe we found the problem, with the help of Eddy.

Token - apparently the same as obtaining them by postman, but initially I did not succeeded with the FOLLOWING step (devices.list) in postman, a CURL GET command. And as long as it worked, I thought it was not necessary, but in one week we'll know if it was....

Problem remains for WIN users that I don't know how to run this command, all my attempts in postman lead to ERROR 404 - * not found) .

I have updated the steps on page 9 with this LATER EDIT.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_01/image.png.3c3d98a415e916e13be028e84a905bd3.png" />

Edited by skywalker
  • Like 1

Lets hope we understand all the steps and can reproduce is with ease. If anyone needs a Mac with Terminal app step, let us know, we already have two in this topic, so that won’t be the problem. 

• Like 1

3 minutes ago, skywalker said:

Have you succeeded to run CURL GET in postman and get the correct devices list?

I will try it next week, skywalker.

• Thanks 1

Guys, I salute you all for your passion and knowledge. An ordinary user cannot configure this "just" on a Sunday afternoon.

Remember that if Fibaro support would give a sh*t about customers' requests, such things wouldn't happen....

Imagine that the NEST plugin, available in 2018 when I bought the HC2...would have still worked...

I have read that in the early days the authentication was different with some kind of a special Nest account, which still can work, if you have it and didn't converted it. 

After an update, the plugin disappeared by magic... and found no way of getting it back. Fibaro Support answered for two years that...they are working on it, without any idea when will be ready, if ever....

On 1/17/2021 at 9:28 PM, rvelthoen said:

So after step 9, displaying the Devicelist it will be done?

Lets see next weekend :-)

so, just like a clock....one week - stop working. :(....

On 1/19/2021 at 4:49 PM, skywalker said:

After an update, the plugin disappeared by magic... and found no way of getting it back. Fibaro Support answered for two years that...they are working on it, without any idea when will be ready, if ever....

yes, there was change in the Nest Account, so Fibaro removed it and tried to develop better oauth2 Solution (with web getaway to register users). There was working beta version, the Fibaro Auth page still exists (

Please login or register to see this link.

)

They stopped the development in Nov 2016 (4.106 was i think the last beta with support), i never got official answer, can only assume that there were some difficulties to get generic Nest account for manufacturers, or price, or just the former CEO decided to not release it. For sure they did spend some time on that:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2021_01/image.png.0d14fbb9d170c0d972add3b1f9b32de7.png" />

vs. old solution:

image.png.e57ccd2afefcfae042eb6d8f64eb902d.png

so it's not fair to say "they didn't tried" at least.

Luckily only old accounst are still working with that Fibaro's beta solution (probably), and they will get disabled anyway. So let's focus on new ways and QA instead (which is anyway better, even if i like the idea of auth proxy provided by Fibaro, it is too dependant on Fibaro's resources, with QA one can fix thnigs faster - see not yet fixed Samsung, Sonos or setPointForwarder Plugin issues ...)