Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Bwh1116

Question

I have yet to have the Fibaro Intercom installed, but as I have seen mentioned by others, which is worrisome is that despite on their website clearly stating it's resistance to extreme weather, the user manual makes it sound as if it is not weatherproof at all. Also, on the website it is said to have theft deterrent alerts, implying that it is a built in feature, in case someone tries to tamper or steal the Intercom, but again, in the user manual it says it can be connected to an external system to alarm it for this purpose. I'm also afraid about other problems people have described thus far with the application and it's reliability as I purchased this to replace our OUTDOOR intercom that is placed outside of our gate with the hopes of being able to let delivery drivers in to drop off packages when we're not home after they have paged the intercom and we open the gate for them, also for other workers that come to the house and need access. I chose this device because it seemed as if it would be a perfect fit for what we were looking for, but if it is in fact unable to withstand the elements (we live in Liguria in Italy, so it's not extreme weather or anything but we do get plenty of rain in the winter and spring) that would absolutely be a deal breaker. Being that I haven't seen a single video actually reviewing the Fibaro Intercom, I was hesitant making the purchase because it is expensive compared to what some others offer, but it seemed to check every box we had (based on what was shown on the website) and so I hope it wasn't a complete waste of time taking the risk of buying an unreviewed piece of tech. So please, if someone from Fibaro could comment on the specs that are touted on the website vs what is written in the user manual, clarifying just what in fact this things capabilities are before I pay to have someone come to install it, that would be great. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

9 answers to this question

Hi @Bwh1116

Thank you for your interest!

Fibaro Intercom was tested and certified for IP54. It should stand usual rain and sun. It won't get frozen up to about -30 degrees because it's processing warms it up.

Manual and warranty terms are written in a safe way. We always under-promise and over-deliver in these areas (free warranty repairs). Those who had tried our warranty procedure will probably confirm that.

To be sure it's better to install it under some piece of hardened material, under some edge, etc.

When it comes to your question regarding tamper, tell me, do you have any of our HC’s?

• Inquirer
  • @A.Smolinski Thanks for the quick response! Currently we don't have one of the HC's as we are just starting to build out our ioT devices and here in Italy, well most of Europe, differently from the US, there are less options for IoT devices like smart locks (without completely changing the door to suit an American style lock or compromising on features that we would like to have), AI's (there is no homepod, Alexa and google I believe was just released, but I had a family member who was visiting from the US bring a Homepod, although at this point it is extremely lacking in regards to connectivity with available devices in europe and it's overall features, not including its audio capabilities however because as a speaker it really is great and so from the UK/Germany we've ordered several Alexa speakers (plus, dot, echo and Sonos one) and so far (aside from the audio quality of the Alexa enabled devices, excluding the Sonos one, but that has its own limitations with Alexa features, and its audio despite being very great, still is not quite as great as the homepod)-- and since voice control is definitely a feature we would like to have, I would also like to know about Fibaro's interoperability with these smart speakers (since Intercom seems to be a standalone device that can be connected to HC and Fibaro seems to have a Skills set on Alexa, I was wondering about being able to control the Intercom (have calls announced by Alexa, almost like Alexa's drop-in feature when someone rings the Intercom, the ability to converse with the person ringing through the Alexa enabled device and the possibility to open the gate through the Alexa enabled speaker as well, the possibility to listen to messages left on the intercom on Alexa enabled devices or in the case of all of these, also the possibility of video with Alexa video enabled devices, i.e. Spot and Show) I purchased a gogogate 2 to have this possiblity of opening the front gate and chain with Alexa from within the house because it did not seem possible with the Intercom. And but so, with a HC, what are the advantages, aside from being able to build out our Z-Wave ioT devices further,  which can be done with a number of hubs such as smartthings- which also has zigbee, but seeing as so does the echo plus- this isn't the greatest concern.   With a hub, be it smartthings, wink, or HC'S, is it possible to add the tamper feature and if so, would an Alexa enabled device be able to alert me in the event of someone trying to tamper with the intercom? I imagine at this moment, almost everything I've asked about is currently not available, but to me, would seem like very welcome additions by all those who have or those or are considering purchasing the Intercom. Thanks,

Brian

• Inquirer
  • **Update After installing the Intercom, I could not get it to configure at all. I called support, they asked for the serial number, then they told me to send it back because it was part of the batch that had a hardware issue. Sending from Italy to Poland costs 37€ + 10€ for insurance on the shipping. Still reading the forums I wonder if the new one when it arrives will still have all the problems that others are complaining about, if so I'll have to return it and find an alternate system, possibly doorbird.

But once configured the curent model / software crashes at random intervals and no notifications come through to iPhone rendering intercom useless until it is rebooted!!

@northyorks   as I said in a different topic. We're well aware of your situation and, once again, I'd like to deeply apologize for the inconvenience. However, the next update should fix that issue, but I can't share any detail regarding the date of its launch.

When its working its great - its just the crashing issue thats causing pain at the moment. Once this is fixed by hopefully firmware of the device and it stops crashing it should be good.