Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Tutorial] Z-wave diagnostics with PC Controller and Zniffer

tinman

Today is great day for z-wave community, the whole SDK for Devices and Gateways, and complete Z-Wave documentation can be free downloaded from silabs.com website (all you need is to create an account on Silabs page)

Please login or register to see this link.

This is from developer / home developer point of view great things, but there is more. One can download as well all the tools:

(afaik from Silabs legal point on of view - see Legal and FAQ Silabs webpage -  should be ok to use the tools and firmware)

- latest PC Controller software

- latest Zwave Zniffer, together with Zniffer Firmware

- latest PC Programmer, which is tool to program Z-Wave chips over UART, JTAG and USB

Now everybody can made use of them, it is enough to buy two zwave.me usb sticks (yes, one can buy these from Sigma Designs as well, but i prefer to use zwave.me sticks, they looks nice and i love to support zwave.me)

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

PC Controller

-----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

One of the sticks can be used then with PC Controller as secondary controller, added into HC2.

To include, do it as typical device:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_04/image.png.13d85789d630b32f7ff211753f880599.png" />

on PC Controller side use Lear Mode

image.png.d587d91fd074dde19c7a40b3e8c1de27.png

Classic Mode is ok, do not use NWI or Smart Start.

After inclusion, the zwave.me stick will be shown as not configured, that does not matter at all (as long you see all your devices in left tab of the window in PC Software)

image.png.11bdda1c21882f9e350b481c137428a3.png image.png.46d0f08d67b659fd60aacec70d0e5138.png

Once added, one can then display e.g. the topology map:

Please login or register to see this attachment.

or run ERTT to test network

image.png.38e93ff86452ee1f55f1a9414892c1f7.png

or run any kind of zwave classes:

image.png.7d704746313526a581348b8e1f0c77ae.png

or update firmware of 3rd part devices, however this is not always working (some devices will be not in zwave network anymore after update, e.g. Aeotec MS6), but one can

still use that zwave.me stick to update them (exclude from HC2 -> include to stick only, run update, exclude, include to HC2 again).

This can be done with provided executable from Aeotec, or with the latest PC Controller and firmware hex file:

(yes, i have extracted the hex file from Aeotec Updater Executable, but one can ask Aeotec, they provides hex files as well):

go to OTA tab, select device to update on left,then GET in OTA tab to read current version:

If you can't use GET as it seems to be disabled, get back to network management page and run once from there image.png.5626bb98691615ebc8dc55089a85eef9.png
on selected device, it will be then available on OTA page then:

image.png.2d226d38c3f19bb1320fb91419909d73.png

select firmware file and click update:

image.png.ffd63d40e27fccbaf652ba4ed27776d2.png

image.png.abe10b7de358b920aef5d61576713078.png

But back to zwave.me stick as secondary with HC2 ... If you done with diagnostics, or don't want to play anymore, you should exclude the zwave.me stick.

Generally is not good idea to have it included if it's not powered on, you might get strange issues with inclusion / exclusion of other devices, or slow zwave response.

Simply use exclude on HC2, if that is not working then unplug it from PC, delete manually on HC2 and click on "reset" on PC Controller (after you plugged in zwave.me stick into PC). 

image.png.51e7a584c2b372b07ab22410e5ca82a2.png

If you have issues adding zwave.me stick, try to reboot HC2, reset stick, reinsert it and try again - that always worked for me in last years.

Please not, one can destroy lot of things using some functions, so do not play with "Set as SIS", "is Failed, "set Failed", "Shift", or tabs like "Setup Route", "NVM", "Smart Start" (ok, that will not destroy anything, but HC2 does not know what to do with this).

For IMA and Association pages you need first to run image.png.5626bb98691615ebc8dc55089a85eef9.png on all devices, without you will not see anything.

Zniffer

The other zwave.me usb stick can be converted into Zniffer, all one need is to install and run PC Programmer and burn Zniffer Firmware. This will give you fully functional zwave zniffer.

- Install PC Programmer

- Insert brand new zwave.me stick into usb port

- Install ZW050x_USB_Programming_Driver

- Run PC Programmer, is should show "USB" mode - if not go to settings and select UZB device

image.png.c340b56a7c9c894b77e3635db8d624e0.png

- select zniffer firmware (it is included in Zniffer download - use "sniffer_ZW050x_USBVCP.hex", nothing else, or you will destroy the zwave.me usb stick!)

- go to "NVR" page and click on read (writing and reading over USB mode takes ages, so be patient) 

image.png.bd58ef3bf08c5ea4e38b8d4ee55c205d.png

- once ready make screenshot of the updated NVR page, you might need these values later to restore the zwave.me stick (generally, when playing with zwave chips, read NVM first before you program something)

- go back to "Flash Code Memory" page and click on "Program and Verify" - again this takes ages, so be patient and do not play with your PC

image.png.cb41b3781e8686a04fa60c932ec1f486.png

image.png.2dc25f5cf149cb6d78e9855ac50c2da0.png

Once programmed, close PC Programmer, unplug the zwave.me stick, plug it again, start Zniffer and select it from Capture -> Port selection or detect it

image.png.d7d30fd882e71a448541859e6a2cebcc.png

Now you can zniff around :)

Please login or register to see this attachment.

To work with zniffer, one need to understand lot of things first, but generally it helps always to see broken devices, devices flooding zwave network, etc. 

You should spend some time to read z-wave docs if you wish to understand more.

Final notes:

- Before you play with secondary controller - as always, make backup of HC2.

- When you destroy zwave.me stick, well, buy new one and do not send me any messages about.

- Do not ask Fibaro or my company for any help - this is tutorial for all those who wish to do diagnostics by them self.
- If you need professional support / z-wave diagnostics do not hesitate to send me PM or email.

Edited by tinman
Programming Driver info added
  • Like 7
  • Thanks 8

thank you so much! 

32 minutes ago, tinman said:

i prefer to use zwave.me sticks, they looks nice and i love to support zwave.me)

btw, I hope

project will also be updated soon...

• Topic Author
  • 22 minutes ago, 10der said:

btw, I hope

project will also be updated soon...

probably not, as there is probably no motivation when everything is open already, but we will see. Sure, zniffer does exists currently only for Windows, but that might change rapidly with Silabs.

That is GREAT news. Thanks for sharing!

PC Controller on my AEON Z-Stick Gen5 (UZB) added as secondary controller:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_04/5ad992daad8b6_2018-04-2009_10_26-COM27-Z-WavePCController.png.c9fdcd6f64162edd34a4d649ef7187f5.png" alt="5ad992daad8b6_2018-04-2009_10_26-COM27-Z-WavePCController.png.c9fdcd6f64162edd34a4d649ef7187f5.png" />

Now let's find out if I can flash my controller and run the sniffer...

• Like 2

Sniffer works like a treat. BTW great start: Minimote starts with 3x CRC error :-)

5ad99a71db4a6_2018-04-2009_43_14-C__Users_peter_AppData_Local_Temp_znf_data.zlf-Z-WaveZniffer.png.8ec75bd27fc304535d7fc8a710d17191.png

23 hours ago, pepite said:

@petergebruers

with AEON Z-Stick Gen5  everything works great ?

Define "everything" :-D

As I said:

On 4/20/2018 at 9:19 AM, petergebruers said:

PC Controller on my AEON Z-Stick Gen5 (UZB) added as secondary controller:

And:

23 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Sniffer works like a treat. BTW great start: Minimote starts with 3x CRC error :-)

EDIT: by flashing "serialapi_controller_static_ZW050x_USBVCP_EU.hex" found in the SDK I was able to put back my stick in "controller" mode.

EDIT2: warning ,after all this, your stick will no longer be a real "Aeotec Sticjk", because we cannot but back the original firmware! If you want to use this stick as an AEOn device, please do not flash it. Buy A Z-Wave.me UZB (that one cannot be turned back into a Z-Wave.me UZB!)

Edited by petergebruers
    • Like 3

44 minuty temu, petergebruers napisał:

BTW I don't see ack from the controller, so he doesn't get that scene activation too :P 

That CRC error can be from that sniffer won't hear good this frame (but frame was ok)

3 minutes ago, A.Socha said:

BTW I don't see ack from the controller, so he doesn't get that scene activation too :P 

That CRC error can be from that sniffer won't hear good this frame (but frame was ok)

Thanks. Yes, the sniffer was very close to the Minimote (0.5 m) and about 7 m away from my HomeCenter...

I think it is good you mention this... People (including me) sometimes forget the stick does NOT hear the same things as your controller or your device!  In fact, those 3 "errors" did not cause any issue with scene activation at all. If the weather turns bad again in Belgium, I'll dig into that :-D

• Like 1

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, petergebruers said:

EDIT: by flashing "serialapi_controller_static_ZW050x_USBVCP_EU.hex" found in the SDK I was able to put back my stick in "controller" mode.

good to know.

I wrote above that the VR need to be saved as well (screenshot is best idea), but let's describe why: zwave chips can be reconfigured to e.g. have external memory connected to different pins, uart can be moved, crystal calibration, saw filter, ext memory size and type - when these values has been erased, the zw500 might work not as specified or not work at all.

Regarding CRC errors, as @A.Socha said, this can be everything but not necessary real CRC issue. The antenna is e.g. in original zniffer not the best, zwave.me stick have exact the same, so one need to be careful with received data (or replace antenna). Here in Germany we are affected as well with LTE uplink from Telekom a bit, so placing gateway or zniffer near LTE Hybrid box is bad idea as well and does produce CRC errors.

4 hours ago, jack.daniels said:

Other Q, how to do the testing on HCL? As far as I know it cannot be the Master controller

HCL with 4.501 works with no issues.

• Thanks 1

@tinman

Thanks for sharing this great News.
    Highly anticipated, finaly an open standard.

D/L it all. Can't wait to start digging and developing.

Just short on time, too busy, pity.

• Like 1

18 hours ago, pepite said:

Very useful ith GEN5 for the OTA of the AEOTEC.

I'm not sure what you mean by this, I'd like to point out a few things before you flash your Z-Stick with alternatative firmware...

Firstly, you cannot put back the Aeotec Z-Stick as it was before, because:

a) You cannot read out the original firmware of the device (I tried, but got FFFF...) so you cannot make a backup

b) Aeon Labs did not publish a firmware update tool for the Z-Stick:

So unless someone can produce the "hex" file of the original firmware, there is no way back...

Also, when you use this to update the firmware of an Aeotec device, you might not gain a lot, because:

On 4/19/2018 at 10:27 PM, tinman said:

update firmware of 3rd part devices, however this is not always working (some devices will be not in zwave network anymore after update, e.g. Aeotec MS6)

So you'll have to exclude and include anyway, just like using the original updater tool.

It *might* be possible to use the modified Z-Stick with the generic controller software but I am not sure. If I run the "Aeon Labs OTA"  tool for the MS6, it does recognize my modified stick as an UZB and lists its properties. That is good. But I do not have a spare MS6 to test if it also flashes the firmware...

• Topic Author
  • As i got some questions about: burning other firmware that the one from aeotec might result in loosing some functionality:

- not sure how the integrated LNA / PA (Skyworks SE2435L) will act with different firmware,
      especially the external switch for PA/LNA, but as well VCO/PLL settings and PA/LNA settings

- not sure how will the internal battery act, it should work as it does have own logic control, but i haven't reversed it so no idea

- not sure about LEDs and button functions

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

I got as well question like: what if i burned wrong fw and my zwave stick is not working. The answer is simply:

- buy new one (the fastest and cheapest solution)

- build your own programmer, on Silabs page there is schematic and firmware for zdp03a dev board,
      but you will need atmega128, and tools for it and so on ...

- you changed NVR settings and stick is not working properly - ask someone else with same stick to get settings.
      This will be not perfect nor really good,  but it might help a bit

- don't ask me to use my ZDP03A to help you recovering your stick - i will charge you more for that than new stick costs

Edited by tinman
    • Thanks 1

@tinman thanks for the extra info.

I fully agree, other users should NOT sacrifice their Z-Stick for science, just buy the Z-Wave UZB like you said before... :-D

Regarding Aeon Z-Stick: not sure about LNA and VCO, I do get data but I'll have to compare with another tool to see if it is accurate. The battery: I have already removed it, it will serve one of my LED projects ;-) and the buttons + LED have no function (and I like it like that :-))

8 minutes ago, tinman said:

build your own programmer, on Silabs page there is schematic and firmware for zdp03a dev board,
      but you will need atmega128, and tools for it and so on

Sounds like a lot of fun, if you are into this kind of stuff. And impossible if you are impatient... Wow, a programmer based on atmega128... Then I can "convert" my Arduino uno (328p is compatible enough?)???

10 minutes ago, tinman said:

don't ask me to use my ZDP03A to help you recovering your stick - i will charge you more for that than new stick costs

LOL

• Topic Author
  • 16 minutes ago, petergebruers said:

Sounds like a lot of fun, if you are into this kind of stuff. And impossible if you are impatient... Wow, a programmer based on atmega128... Then I can "convert" my Arduino uno (328p is compatible enough?)???

bit OT: that should work, ZDP03A is dev board, but to use as JTAG/SPI programmer you need only "any" ATmega and USB to UART converter on the other side, all source are available as well. To recover e.g. Sigma Design stick, serial programming can be used as well (yes, one have to connect one time RESET signal to GND during programming) - all one need is 5$ CP2102 UART converter and PC Programmer software (it PC Programmer detects CP2102 connected, it will ask you to change or not the programming mode from SPI over Atmel Atmega to UART, and it will ask you during programming to short to ground manually zwave chip reset pin as well). So as you can see, one must not use ZDP03A for programming, unless one have to use it (with e.g. ZIF socket, calibration, regional modules, debugging, etc.).

4 minutes ago, tinman said:

Programmer detects CP2102 connected, it will ask you to change or not the programming mode from SPI over Atmel Atmega to UART,

Thanks! That bit was unclear to me. I've got CP2102s so might try, for fun and giggles. Just diagonally read "Z-Wave Programmer User Guide (ZDP03A, PC)". Next week = bad weather = fun with all this stuff...