Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[Tutorial] Z-wave development

tinman

as already posted everybody can now play with Z-Wave SDK, as it has been completely released to the public.

To make it bit easier here small how to:

1 - you need to register on silabs.com first

2 - you need the Z-Wave SDK

3 - you need Keil Compiler License

4 - you need proper Keil Version

5 - you need to setup few things

6 - playing with examples

7 - ... and now you can compile your first project :)

8 - test your first z-wave firmware

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

1 - that simple, just go to silabs.com page and register

---------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

2 - once you registered, download the Embedded SDK (e.g. 6.81.01) 

Please login or register to see this link.

It is good idea to unzip it somewhere short-named, e.g. C:\ESDK

image.png.5803d4a730c9d8aa690ed6a572e544b4.png

3 - to get Keil license you can get one from Keil itself (go to keil.com and request test license), but you can use Silabs provided License as well:

Go to 

and fill out the form, once you did it and requested your PSN will get displayed

image.png.dd729bfe11954320738e1adab3323648.png

You could download from the provided link the Keil Compiler, but it will not properly compile Z-Wave ESDK, you need different version

4 - go to 

and enter the PSN under "Maintenance and previous Versions", click on submit

image.png.73b1e249107db939145a91be426087e6.png

you will get a list, download the 9.54a version (this is important)

image.png.4d9f75d0221098f3c6ed999474c3d2b5.png

5 - Now install the Keil Compiler to e.g. C:\Keil

After installation start it, go to File -> License Management -> Single-User License. Copy from there the CID and click on "Get LIC via Internet",

you will get forwarded to

Fill out all data and click on submit - you will get an email (so don't use fake email) with License Number for your PC.

After you got it, go back to Keil uVision and enter the License Key into "New License ID ..." and click on "Add LIC" 

You need no to set your environment variables, which differ from OS to OS, just ggl for "How to Set Environment Variables in Windows xx"

You have to set two of them:

KEILPATH=C:\Keil\C51

TOOLSDIR=C:\ESDK\Tools

Now you can in principle start with compiling your first test firmware, but please check this PDF

image.png.3b446aaaff57522844b5bd2d2f0090ed.png

6 - let's play a bit first with provided examples, e.g. WallController

Open Command Prompt and got to "c:\ESDK\ProductPlus\WallController"

Now type "mk" and enter, you will get list of possible parameters, more about them in the PDF mentioned above 

image.png.3122162abc2fc4c9e6b58141523899e7.png

now you can enter mk "BOOT=BOOTLOADER_ENABLED" "FREQUENCY=EU" and compile it from command line, which is ok when you using your fav editor. 

In case you wish to use Keil uVision Editior, you need first to create Keil project file, so compile it once with additional parameter (compiling it once, will check if everything is being setup properly, not that something i wrong and you will spend hours thinking the changes you made to provided examples are the source of compiler errors hehe)

mk "BOOT=BOOTLOADER_ENABLED" "FREQUENCY=EU" "UVISION=1"

Once compiled, you will see the uVision Project File, open it 

image.png.ec393c9b076cadba7ae2d33be8198b5d.png

image.png.fb243ed9842fa5e9620fcd8bc5c15c6d.png

Now you need "some time", to read all the docs and understand how easy z-wave is :) 

7 - it is good idea to start with these two files:

image.png.f8a057e75e096713499698d55e05bdb8.png

Application Framework will help you a lot to develop simple things, all examples are z-wave plus certified, so it's good start from here.

8 - i will edit this point later ...

Another topic, with information how to diag z-wave problems is here ->

Edited by tinman
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 4

• Topic Author
  • small update - Silabs have not yet updated / included al documents provided by Sigma Designs / ZTS, so it make sense to check from time to time what's new on their web.

Hi @tinman and thank you for sharing this information here.

One question regarding z-wave is made public:

Shall we be more worried about security of our z-wave home systems now when everything is made public?

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, Sankotronic said:

Shall we be more worried about security of our z-wave home systems now when everything is made public?

the only "dangerous" tool is zniffer, as it gives anybody lot of information's about z-wave networks in the neighbourhood (which is not the case when talking about installer tools like CIT from z-wavealliance.org or Toolbox from zwaveproducts.com). However, too see does not means to be able to do something, especially when security is being enabled (S0 is sufficient, but it produce more traffic than S2). Open does not means insecure :)

• Thanks 1

@tinman

First, thx for sharing this info.

Can't wait to get my hands on the Keil compiler.

In step 3, what Target MCU do I need to pick?

Edited by BitBucket

• Topic Author
  • Just now, BitBucket said:

Can't wait to my hands a the Keil compiler.

In step 3, what Target MCU do I need to pick?

actually you don't have to pickup anything, by default it is zw0301 (even if currently SDK will only compile for zw0500 and not anymore for zw0300), because the uvision project generator and linker scripts are taking care of everything for you, the best start is to take the "MyProductPlus", compile it from command prompt with "UVISION=1" and then open the created uVision project (and start from there to develop). Sure, you can play directly with makefiles if you wish^^ 

There are in SDK two dirs, "ApplicationUtilities" (general zwave developemnt) and "ApplicationCommandHandlers" (zwave application framework - the easy way to develop), they are very useful and takes lot of works from you. It make sense to read the app. prog. guide and application framework guide.

As far i can see, not all documents from ZTS has been published on silabs website, but that's because they cleaned up a lot, i have tons of historical documents from older SDK versions, where however some can be downloaded on request from silabs page.

@tinman

Sorry, my question was a bit unclear.

On 21-4-2018 at 5:19 PM, tinman said:

Go to 

and fill out the form

The form asks me to select a Target MCU but which one?
    No Z-Wave CPU listed. Maybe Silabs changed the form, I don't know.

• Topic Author

The form asks me to select a Target MCU but which one?

No Z-Wave CPU listed. Maybe Silabs changed the form, I don't know.

ahh ok, well take any 8051Fxxx, it does not matter for now. I asked Silabs about test license for zwave mcu, waiting for answer.

• Topic Author

@tinman

Thx, got the PSN. Why D/L Keil 9.54a and not a newer version?

because of critical linker scripts and banking problems with other versions, the firmware will not compiler or not run with newer version.

Keil uvision 9.54A is good for SDK 6.71.03 and 6.81.01, both are available on silabs page (6.81.xx supports smart start, 6.71.xx not).

@tinman

2 minutes ago, tinman said:

because of critical linker scripts and banking problems with other versions, the firmware will not compiler or not run with newer version.

So you already tried never versions ?

Usually a newer compiler has some bugs resolved.

This is a bad thing. Maybe we find time to look into this later.

Will go for 9.54a for now. Thx and good night.

• Topic Author
  • 6 minutes ago, BitBucket said:

@tinman

So you already tried never versions ?

Usually a newer compiler has some bugs resolved.

This is a bad thing. Maybe we find time to look into this later.

Will go for 9.54a for now. Thx and good night.

Keil "introduce" very often new bugs in newer versions, for sure you can try 9.57 (i haven't - i stick always to what manufacturer recommend), but you can as well ask silabs if they tested it already.

9 hours ago, tinman said:

by default it is zw0301

Do you know, is there any lowcost breakouts of ZMxxxx chip on market? (not a SigmeDesign SDK for $2k)

For development purposes? For commercial?

Thans in advance

Edited by jack.daniels

• Topic Author
  • you can buy modules, chip, or regional boards from e.g. digikey -> 

or you can buy e.g. cheap wall controller like ZME_WALLC-S (from zwave.me) - it does have only 4 switches, 2 leds, zw500 chip, connections for programmer, and can be easily used for the wall controller example. 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, jack.daniels said:

Do you know, is there any lowcost breakouts of ZMxxxx chip on market?

Not really, not yet... Will it come? If the Chinese market likes Z-Wave, they might assemble one for a few $ It is possible. On Aliexpress: ESP8266 is $3 and ESP32 breakout is $6.

Cheapest Z--Wave on Aliexpress/e-bay/amazon, I think, is  OOOPS... This is the Fibaro forum :-)

Maybe by 2nd hand Fibaro device?

47 minutes ago, tinman said:

cheap wall controller like ZME_WALLC-S (from zwave.me)

Excellent advice! I have one and maybe I can finally fix it :-)

I would say... Use other power source than CR2032, it is rather weak.

• Topic Author
  • 3 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Not really, not yet... Will it come? If the Chinese market likes Z-Wave, they might assemble one for a few $ It is possible. On Aliexpress: ESP8266 is $3 and ESP32 breakout is $6.

Cheapest Z--Wave on Aliexpress/e-bay/amazon, I think, is  OOOPS... This is the Fibaro forum :-)

Xeon one hang low have some :P

• Thanks 1

3 hours ago, tinman said:

OMG ;D

"Currently unavailable" - you ordered all available stock? ;-)

Thanks for the tutorial! Build example: OK. Edit code in uvision: OK. Flash onto my Z-Stick: OK, but no more USB loader so I'll have to go the "serial" route. Oh. Well.

Edit... I'm back in business. First had to perform surgery, because UART0 pins are not soldered on a Aeon Z-Stick... Then took me a while to understand, the programmer only works with a CP2102 USB to UART bridge, which I do have, but wasn't using for my first attempts (FT232H). My Aeon Z-Stick starts to look like a Frankenstein incarnation :-) - FrankenZwave?

IMG_20180423_164739.jpg.1e1e6cd0a5beffdfeb8136cb1867f9da.jpg

Edited by petergebruers

• Topic Author
  • 6 hours ago, petergebruers said:

OMG ;D

"Currently unavailable" - you ordered all available stock? ;-)

i remember they had lot of these Xeon zwave modules, but now their whole shop seems to be empty.

To be honest, i needed once extra board, but ZM5101 (2x UART), and not ZM5202 based, that's how i found them.

Finally it ended up with the one below ...

6 hours ago, petergebruers said:

Thanks for the tutorial! Build example: OK. Edit code in uvision: OK. Flash onto my Z-Stick: OK, but no more USB loader so I'll have to go the "serial" route. Oh. Well.

it takes some time to find out the proper configuration (e.g. which pin is controlling external flash/eeprom, boot mit vcp, board for which will get compiled - in your case ZDB5101 or ZDB3502, pin swap ... )

Edit... I'm back in business. ... 

:) 

FrankenZwave?

broken zwave.me stick, re-used as (half) ZDB5101 dev board. Sure, 1hr work was not really cheaper than original ZDB5101,

but hard to resist having all parts/things here.

zme_for_pgm2.jpg.e8bf195785e4ac39aa26522c48025d1e.jpg

Please login or register to see this attachment.

11 hours ago, tinman said:

broken zwave.me stick, re-used as (half) ZDB5101 dev board. Sure, 1hr work was not really cheaper than original ZDB5101,

but hard to resist having all parts/things here.

Awesome picture, I'd say that is "SpiderZwave".

I am very happy to see... you still use perfboard, just like me, and magnet wire to connect. At least, for those "one-off projects. ;-) Now I do not feel so old anymore.

11 hours ago, tinman said:

it takes some time to find out the proper configuration (e.g. which pin is controlling external flash/eeprom, boot mit vcp, board for which will get compiled - in your case ZDB5101 or ZDB3502, pin swap ... )

Thanks for the hints. Reading the source, and looking at your SpiderZwave, I see have two or three options to make my FrankenZwave do something (I'd like to control the onboard RGB LED). Either (1) move buttons/leds onto the correct pin, (2) modify the code to match the board, or (3) activate some compile time options (like "pin swap"). The weather is bad in Belgium, I'll start by RTFM ;-)

It is nice to have the code:

Please login or register to see this code.

On 4/23/2018 at 12:30 AM, tinman said:

Keil uvision 9.54A is good for SDK 6.71.03 and 6.81.01, both are available on silabs page (6.81.xx supports smart start, 6.71.xx not).

I already had C51V957 on my laptop, so I did a quick test and I can confirm it (still) does not work... Sounds like banking issue:

Please login or register to see this code.

The topic has been moved from "

" to "

".

Temat został przeniesiony z "

" do "

".