Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

IPv6

B Damm

Suggestion 1:

Fibaro finder should display the IPv6-addresses the box uses. I had to use an internet snooper to find the address.

Suggestion 2:

The box should have an option to require a domain name e.g. "whatever.mydomain.com" to access the box. Access from remote users (not from 192.168.x.x) that do not use the domain name should ger an error 403. This increases the security and prevents script kiddies thet are scanning all ip-addresses to access the box.

• Thanks 1

On 5. 5. 2018 at 2:06 PM, B Damm said:

Suggestion 2:

The box should have an option to require a domain name e.g. "whatever.mydomain.com" to access the box. Access from remote users (not from 192.168.x.x) that do not use the domain name should ger an error 403. This increases the security and prevents script kiddies thet are scanning all ip-addresses to access the box.

So, you mean DDNS?

55 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

So, you mean DDNS?

• Can be DDNS
  • Can be a registered domainname when you have a public fixed IP

@B Damm please explain more in detail.

Edited by Sjekke

• Topic Author
  • 52 minutes ago, jakub.jezek said:

So, you mean DDNS?

access via WattEver.mydomain.com should be allowed

access via 79.136.1.241 would result in error 403

This would require either a fixed ip address from my ISP or a DynDns solution if the address is not fixed.

2 minutes ago, B Damm said:

access via WattEver.mydomain.com should be allowed

access via 79.136.1.241 would result in error 403

This would require either a fixed ip address from my ISP or a DynDns solution if the address is not fixed.

OK, i get it. You want to have DDNS. I think, that domain name would just overpriced port forward.

7 minutes ago, Sjekke said:
    • Can be a registered domainname when you have a public fixed IP

Registered domain name is per year payment and it requires access from outside to unit. Not much secure for the system, i think.

DDNS could be sollution, with proper client and server. But i still have feeling, there is still something fishy regarding security.

2 hours ago, jakub.jezek said:

OK, i get it. You want to have DDNS. I think, that domain name would just overpriced port forward.

Registered domain name is per year payment and it requires access from outside to unit. Not much secure for the system, i think.

DDNS could be sollution, with proper client and server. But i still have feeling, there is still something fishy regarding security.

I think it's beter to use or the Fibaro Cloud access or a VPN to your home

• Like 1

11 hours ago, Sjekke said:

I think it's beter to use or the Fibaro Cloud access or a VPN to your home

Totally agree with you. Fibaro ID should be enough to control home full of Z-Wave devices in Fibaro system. VPN if you have fixed public IP adress.

But there is something on for memorizing name than IP. But for that there is local DNS server od mDNS. That means possibility to have something like this: fibaro.myhome.local or fibaro.local.

And as i wrote, i think there is something fishy about security for DDNS.

• 4 years later...

Hello

I re-open subject, resentlty the network box of my parents has been migrated to IPv6. So on HC2 impossible now for me to access at the box from outside 

My father can use fibaro ID (little issue to link box, waiting Support help), but if I'm not wrong, only one account can use fibaro ID, so I can't help my father to manage the box

Do you know if now on 2021 it's possible to work on IPv6 ? But I didn't see any setup for that. I see on IPv6 for the HC2, but impossible to use it (inside or outside) 

Thanks