Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Signal Strength Problems

Jibran

Question

Hello,

Recently , I tried to install Fibaro system in My friend's home. He wants to illuminate his all outdoor leds ( 5W, 7W, 12W) respectively.

I connected home center 2 (Entrance Main lobby) and then Fibaro single switch 2 (outdoor entrance) . The distance between them Is hardly 12 to 13 meters.  Sometimes it runs sometimes it gives communication problems. It is not stable. Then i tried to connect one more relay between them to settle the signal problem . But same problem is still there.

Same is the case with all the outdoor Modules. 3 modules ( Relays) are connected just for the signals enhancement between CORNER modules so that there will be no signal problem . But the problem persist .   

There is a Place (Storeroom ), where relay is perfectly working , But outside the storeroom, there are switches which are connected with relay, do not work( Communication Problem) and there is hardly 3 to 4 meter distance between storeroom switch (inside) and outside switches.

Also tried to change the position of the controller at every possible place but problem is still there.

Sometimes controller give communication problems just as near as 7 meter .

Device : Homecenter 2 ( 4.180 firmware )

Module : single switch 2 ( 3.3v )

Please Help me with this issue , as it is creating serious problems . 

Thankyou

Please login or register to see this attachment.

11 answers to this question

Hi @Jibran,

This is remarkable. Over Here I'm able to make contact at 50 meters (outside).

What you could try is to do a 'Mesh network reconfiguration', in the Z-Wave network configuration menu.

There select the 'problem' device and then select select 'Reconfiguration' for that device,

• Inquirer
  • In 50 meters, is there any wall present ? Because in my case there are walls of measure 6 to 9 inch in Depth . I have tried the mesh network configuration method . It does not work. 

I have tried to delete the module and add it again . Sometimes the signals started to reach and sometimes not. That behavior i dont understand . 

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, TRicky said:

Hi @Jibran,

This is remarkable. Over Here I'm able to make contact at 50 meters (outside).

What you could try is to do a 'Mesh network reconfiguration', in the Z-Wave network configuration menu.

There select the 'problem' device and then select select 'Reconfiguration' for that device,

In 50 meters, is there any wall present ? Because in my case there are walls of measure 6 to 9 inch in Depth . I have tried the mesh network configuration method . It does not work. 

I have tried to delete the module and add it again . Sometimes the signals started to reach and sometimes not. That behavior i dont understand .

1 hour ago, Jibran said:

In 50 meters, is there any wall present ? Because in my case there are walls of measure 6 to 9 inch in Depth . I have tried the mesh network configuration method . It does not work. 

In my situation I have 2 walls (each 4 inch) with insulation in between, and the antenna is mounted inside on this wall. But.... I use for both my HC-2's a much bigger antenna.

According to the Mesh philosophy your modules should be able to connect according the red arrows in your diagram. This is a very strange situation......

I experienced that wall-insulation can give huge problems due to the aluminum foil on it. But in your situation there are mainly inside walls and they are (normally) not insulated.

Perhaps someone else has a clue. 

• Inquirer
  • 9 hours ago, TRicky said:

In my situation I have 2 walls (each 4 inch) with insulation in between, and the antenna is mounted inside on this wall. But.... I use for both my HC-2's a much bigger antenna.

According to the Mesh philosophy your modules should be able to connect according the red arrows in your diagram. This is a very strange situation......

I experienced that wall-insulation can give huge problems due to the aluminum foil on it. But in your situation there are mainly inside walls and they are (normally) not insulated.

Perhaps someone else has a clue. 

All the modules are placed inside the walls . I am still figuring out why mesh is not working properly here. If i try mesh reconfiguration of all the devices , will the controller acknowledge or give response of completion of the configuration ?

8 hours ago, chapa said:

@Jibran

Are your replays added as a Secure devices?

No , they are not added as s secure devices. But for addition in the system i have to place module near to the HC2.

8 hours ago, chapa said:

@Jibran

Are your replays added as a Secure devices?

No , they are not added as s secure devices. But for addition in the system i have to place module near to the HC2.

@Jibran,

Yes the controller will give a message when it starts trying and will give a message after succeeding or failing the task. No harm can be done here. Just keep in mind to save the new configuration after succeeding but your HC will remind you anyway to do so.

Good luck!

3 minutes ago, Jibran said:

No , they are not added as s secure devices. But for addition in the system i have to place module near to the HC2

Great. When adding near HC2, the node reports its neighbors.

In your case, it is very likely, that your node-neighborhood network is not properly set.

You can:

1. Wait enough time, most probably HC2 will force nodes and the system will get up to date with topology

2. Force it do point.1 - Go in Configuration->Z-Wave Network->Mesh network reconfiguration, choose Entire Network and click Reconfigure.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_05/image.png.4dc3c83287ba511ccfa28d2e33dd1a36.png" alt="image.png.4dc3c83287ba511ccfa28d2e33dd1a36.png" />

You should be patient, as reconfiguration may take a while.

Let us know if that helped.

• Inquirer
  • 6 minutes ago, TRicky said:

@Jibran,

Yes the controller will give a message when it starts trying and will give a message after succeeding or failing the task. No harm can be done here. Just keep in mind to save the new configuration after succeeding but your HC will remind you anyway to do so.

Good luck!

Thankyou, just tell me what about zwave reconfiguration ? If i do that so , it will delete all the devices. is there any advantage of that ?

3 minutes ago, chapa said:

In your case, it is very likely, that your node-neighborhood network is not properly set.

You can:

1. Wait enough time, most probably HC2 will force nodes and the system will get up to date with topology

2. Force it do point.1 - Go in Configuration->Z-Wave Network->Mesh network reconfiguration, choose Entire Network and click Reconfigure.

Please login or register to see this link.

Ok , I will do it as soon as possible and will let you know the results. I noticed my polling time is 125 secs, as it wanted me to set minimum 300 secs polling time. Does this issue create signal problems too ?

Edited by Jibran

6 minutes ago, TRicky said:

Just keep in mind to save the new configuration

Yeah :) good point

4 minutes ago, Jibran said:

If i do that so , it will delete all the devices

As @Jibran said, no harm will be done.

At least if you do not spot some software bug in HC itself :D These days I am afraid to do anything with HC and do logs and backups after every change ...

17 minutes ago, Jibran said:

I noticed my polling time is 125 secs, as it wanted me to set minimum 300 secs polling time. Does this issue create signal problems too

Yes, it may, especially if mesh is not configured.

On every polling interval, HC asks every node for its state. If it is powered device it respond immediately. If HC has problems communicating with some devices it may lead to problems, I guess. Problem will also be, if number of devices to be polled is big.

There is a z-wave licensing back story about polling.

In your case, Relays reports they state on every change, and that is enough. I doubt it will happen to not report a state change and HC shows not-actual state.

At least this never happened to me, except back in time, when devices were included as secure one.

40 minutes ago, chapa said:

You can:

Please login or register to see this link.

I honestly have to say that I did a full Z-Wave reconfiguration last week which ended in a not functioning system.

Now I only dare to do a Z-Wave reconfiguration for 1 module at a time. So don't be too hasty....