Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

HeatIt Z-TRM2

knuth

Question

The new version of the Multireg/HeatIt z-wave thermostat for electrical heating has now been released, it seems, see  

Please login or register to see this link.

Here it says "available Q2/2018" but the Z-TRM2 product has recently been included in the supplier's catalog.

The new 

Thermofloor (in Norwegian), indicates that integration with Fibaro Home Center 2 has been tested, including templates etc. Looks promising!

If anyone installs this device and includes it in a Fibaro system, please share your experience here! 

Hi @knuth,

Good to read you managed it! My Z-TRM2 is pretty stable at the moment, I'm a bit worried about further support/software updates because the Z-TRM2 is replaced by the Z-TRM2fx. The device master/slave numbers and parameters are complete different in the fx version, so I don't think I'll get much support. But as long as it works I'm happy ;D

Just got the Z-TRM2. It seems like the pairing time on the Heatis is to short so it goes in to Err before the pairing is done with the Fibaro. With the first Heatit is was no problem and it worked great. Now you have to try and set up the system manually. Any suggestions?

• Inquirer
  • ThermoFloor, the supplier, has been responsive before when contacted about their z-wave certification. I suggest sending them an e-mail ([email protected]), explaining your set-up and experience. Please share the response here - I am about to order and install a number of these!

I got ansver frome Thermo now. The new type is not supported with templates in Fibaro. They are working with it and should be ready soon. While waiting he sent me the setup procedyre. Also with a link to youtube. 

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for sharing! It seems ThermoFloor was ahead of themselves when releasing their 2018 sales catalog back in May. The text and pictures there made me believe that Fibaro integration and templates were already in place. Does anyone know what it would take to use a template which is published after I have installed and configured a device? Does that require a complete re-install?

And if ThermoFloor happens to read this: When do you expect to have a full integration including templates ready?

I'm also waiting for the Z-TRM2...

They've made a statement about the software problems on their site

We need a bit more patience I guess...

• Inquirer
  • The producers have recently (Oct.1)

that they see a need for hardware changes to their design, not only firmware.They have no fixed date for resolving the problem. Replacement units, when they become available, are offered to those experiencing problems with units already installed.

The development of the Z-TRM2 seems to be a project which has taken ThermoFloor out of their league. Several delays, certification problems, immature firmware, and now hardware problems are classic symptoms of a project which has been too-big-to-handle for the organization. We, the users, can only hope that they will succeed in the end. For electric heating, HeatIt/ThermoFloor/Multireg seems to be the only option for a z-wave thermostat. 

Guest Eriond

I bought this device to replace my Devireg Touch thermostat in my cabin. Finally I saw a solution to be able to arrive to a warm and cosy hut, since I have a HC2 already in place. Unfortunately I haven't been able to add the TRM2 at all. Fibaro reports that an error has occured, and the TRM2 keeps circling it's leds for a while eventually showing "Err" on its display.

So, maybe the instructions from HeatIt/ThermoFloor are correct, but as long as one doesn't come past the first basic step, the whole thing becomes kind of useless. :(

• Inquirer
  • Double posting  deleted - see edited version

Edited by knuth
    Double posting

• Inquirer
  • I have just installed 13 of these (ZTRM-2fx) in a house under construction, but they have not been included in the HC2 yet. The construction will be finished in a few weeks, and HC2 configuration will follow immediately thereafter. So far all my Z-TRM2 are electrically installed and working in a stand-alone mode. They all have floor sensors (F mode). The firmware update seems to be November 2018. I will report back as soon as I have tried to include them in my network.

Anybody else who has successfully installed the newest version? @Eriond - are yours also the Z-TRM2fx version?

Guest Eriond

Yes, my is the same firmware version as yours. I was a bit surprised to see the quite recent date, but also though it would be a guarantee of a trouble-free installation. Reality said: Not so much...

I have mailed HeatIt about this issue to see what they might come up with, but as we're in the midst of a holiday season here, I don't expect an answer until after I have left my cabin for home.

So I have to look forward to another cold, grim welcome for our upcoming "Sportlov" in February. :-[

Guest Eriond

Update: Yesterday I upgraded my HC2 to 4.521. And I added a (CoolCam) switch in an outlet close to the Z-TRM2.

Today I gave it another try. At first I got the same behavior as before with both the Fibaro and the Z-TRM2 side reporting an error condition. But then I checked the "NWI - Network-Wide Inclusion", and voila - Fibaro reported a new device and started adding its slave devices. After a minute or so, all 11 slaves were in place, although the types were slightly different from the instructions from HeatIt. The odd thing was that the Z-TRM2 still reported "Err" after some time circling its leds.

I still have to complete all the necessary steps according to HeatIt, and map them to the slave devices I got on my end, but this time it looks more promising than ever!

• Inquirer
  • Glad to hear that :D If you have time before you have to leave, it would be useful if you could post a screen dump of the configuration, including all the slave devices. And most importantly, a confirmation that you have succeeded in getting remote control and metering of your Z-TRM2. Good luck, I keep my fingers crossed! :roll: 

I have the Z-TRM2, not the fx! I've got a few issues, but in general it works ok. The only difference between the Z-TRM2 and the Z-TRM2fx is the internal temp sensor in the fx they left is away because its causing an error. I'm using it in floorsensor mode. When i use the Fibaro heating panel with the Z-TRM2 and internal temp sensor then he is going nuts, relay stays on when setpoint temp is reached, wrong values and things like that. So I've build a scene to control it and manually control on the thermostat or using Fibaro app is also working.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_01/image.png.0ab1d28f49efeb76ecb2b0aad763ecd3.png" alt="image.png.0ab1d28f49efeb76ecb2b0aad763ecd3.png" />

The Z-TRM2 is working with a ECO (Energy Save Heat) and COMFORT (Heat) mode. Each mode has is own setpoint temperature, the Fibaro heating panel is not using these modes, but controls the setpoint temp in chosen mode.

Hope it will help you guys to setup your thermostats. Good luck!

O, and when you include the thermostat try to do it in 1 meter range of your controller.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @Barend99, that is helpful. With regards to your final comment, this has puzzled me before. I started a

on it a while back, with some interesting responses on the dilemma of installation and "direct range".

In my case, the thermostats are already installed and powered up in their intended locations. The HC2 is hardwired to the wifi router in a central location. My plan is to start with the closest thermostat and then work my way to the other rooms, using NWI mode. That way each thermostat already included should work as a node to reach the next one etc. I hope this will work, otherwise I am not sure what to do.

It seems strange to me why a network configuration with, say, 10 meter distances between nodes is not satisfactory for the inclusion process. If communication is assumed to work after inclusion, why is it unsuitable for the inclusion process? 

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • I have now successfully (almost) installed and configured 13 Z-TRM2fx and will share some experiences. 

• All my thermostats are for electric floor heating panels, using a floor sensor (mode F). One has an additional external room sensor, for display/reporting of temperature only.
    • I followed the plan indicated above, starting with the room closest to the HC2 and working my way out from there. All units were included using the NWI (network wide inclusion) option. "Located far from the HC2" was also checked. Inclusion was a bit erratic. Some units did not register at first, but only on the second or third attempt. For some units "Device added" was indicated, then terminated without assigning an ID number, parameters and associations. These units often succeeded on the second attempt. Time to complete inclusion varied, from a few minutes up to about 7 minutes. 
    • The display indicated "ERR" even on the successful runs, some times only briefly before "INC" was shown. 
    • After finishing inclusion, a message appears: "Controlled device xxx.4: Light" which is a little confusing. Why it does not suggest HVAC instead of Light is unknown to me. 
    • Hiding 5 or 6 of the slave units (there are 11 units in all per thermostat) according to

was straightforward, but a little tedious. A template is still not included in the HC2 firmware but would be greatly appreciated.
    • I also set up the recommended associations for temperature and relay, without testing what happens before and after. Seems OK now. I guess this too would be taken care of by a template?
    • One floor sensor showed a temperature of between 5 and 7 oC, even after the heating panel had been left on for a while. The sensor has now been checked. It is of the right type, NTC 10kOhm, and the Z-TRM2 "Sen" parameter set accordingly. The Z-TRM2 clearly reports a temperature which is not in line with the ohm value. The thermostat will be returned to the manufacturer for replacement. The other floor sensors are more reasonable, but may need calibration using the CAF parameter later.
    • The one external room sensor works fine. In this case I have not hidden the sensor value, and plan to use it to control ventilation in the summer (high temperature -> fan on) through a simple scene. I have actually used a floor sensor unit as a room sensor, to be able to hide it in a recess near the ceiling. 
    • The Z-TRM2 has three modes: Heating, cooling, and energy saving. In my case, only heating will be needed. Strangely, several of the units have flipped the mode from Heat to Cool or Energy spontaneously, during normal operation without any intervention from me. In some cases, this change seemingly only affects one of the sub-devices (.0 or .1), which is even stranger. I would assume that all sub-devices would share the same mode. Having a heater in Cool mode presumably could have turned the control to positive feedback (the warmer it gets, the more the heat stays on), but I don't think that is the case here, fortunately. I will monitor these unwanted mode flips in the weeks to come.
    • The relay (.0.2) indicates whether the heat is on or off. It has a text labelled "Idle". What does that indicate?
    • Remote control and monitoring of the thermostat works fine. Using the HVAC filter in the HC2 panel shows the set-point (.0) and the relay (.0.2). Is there a way to make this show set-point and sensor value (.3.1)?

Now for some general frustrations, not specific to the Z-TRM2:

• When assigning a device to a room, it would be nice to be able to assign the main device only, and have all the sub-devices/slaves (11 in this case) follow. Having to do the assignment on each one is time consuming. Is there a smarter way?
    • When I check NWI in the Include panel, or make any other change to the inclusion options, the "Save warning" (an exclamation mark) appears to the right. The save button does nothing, however, and there is no other save possibility. When inclusion is complete, any attempt to exit gives a warning that I have not saved and that data may be lost. I think there is a bug in this particular panel. Either the warning is unneeded, or the save button should be activated to store the choice of options. 
    • Why is there a button in the Advanced section to "download template", when there is no way to install what I have downloaded? I know the procedure is to forward this to Fibaro Support (and keep expectations low for any follow-up), but it seems strange to handle this inside the configuration panel when the template cannot be configured by the user. 

I may transfer these three points to a separate post in the HC2 section, which is where they belong.

• Like 1

I've just bought 11 new z-trm2fx (replace all my first gen. Multireg / Heatit thermostats) and is about to install them all. Already replace 2 devices, and must say I am a bit confused about all SLAVE's in the thermostat. (Devices with only number (eg 751.1 and 751.1.1 are hidden)

Stue = Living room

Have been trying following the

but are still a bit confused. As @knuth, I also get ERR during inclusion, but thermostats seems to work. 

Are there anyone who can explain all the devices in the thermostat? Feks in FIBARO HC2, main thermostat in the room, I can choose a thermostat for the room (one set and one mode) Which one to choose ? And why?

best regards Gorm

Edited by gormnass

• Inquirer
  • Following a dialogue with ThermoFloor, I have summarized the recommended set-up as follows:

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2019_03/image.png.43b484f43bc79391c97ea53cc440a806.png" alt="image.png.43b484f43bc79391c97ea53cc440a806.png" />

Note that this is slightly different than recommended in the installation manual, for instance:

- The only association is in the .0 unit, using group 1 to associate to HC2 (using the M association)

- The hidden units are different

In my case, I have only one external sensor. In all other units, I hide slave .2.1 as well, as shown by (x)

The room assignment is a personal choice. I have moved the "mode" and "Voltage" units to the Common section, to have them available without cluttering the room views. 

This seems to work well, except for the false alarm problem I have reported today in the HC2 forum. Another small bug is that the .1 module occasionally flips from "Heating" set point to "Energy saving" or "cooling" mode, for no good reason. But the mode itself (.1.1) remains Heating, so no big deal.

I would be glad to share further Z-TRM2 experiences, problems and solutions with you. Contact me by PM if you don't find it suitable for the forum.