Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Can A Double switch becon=me a dry switch

bikerdude

Question

Hello I am new to home automation and I have no skills as a programmer. 

I purchased 2 Fibaro Double switch 2 to automate a pellet stove on which my external Thermostat went on the fritz. Hence I needed to connect the switch to the 2 wired of the stove and I was told that I need a "dry switch". I can add a dry switch  to the fibaro device and make it work. However I would prefer using a z-wave compatible device.

Therefore, is there a way to connect the dry switch 2 and make it function as a dry switch?  

Currently I have the fibaro connected to a light bulb to see if it works. The device is paired to my vera plus and does "click" however the bulb only blinks when it on. I presume I have connected the bulb incorrectly. Currently I have main power connected to the N and  L connectors and the bulb to the N and Q1 there is no ON / OFF switch attache to the Fibaro Device.

Ho should this bulb be connected?

Please advise and to you all Thank you for your help

11 answers to this question

@bikerdude re dry contacts, you can "slave" another separate dumb relay off your fibaro switch 2. That would be connected as your test lamp is with your stoves wires switched on the slaved relays contact set.

Or (easiest route) you can buy a fibaro relay for the job .

You understand what they mean by "dry contacts"? The switch 2 contacts are feed internally off the Mains power that supplies the module,

Whereas in the fibaro relay it still has the Mains  supplying the module but you can feed the contacts with a unrelated supply ,eg your pellet stove control circuit.

Re the test light blinking, N and Q1 sounds correct.

In the device parameters  you want "momentary" for the "switch type" if you plan to wire it to a thermostat.

• Inquirer
  • 3 minutes ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

@bikerdude re dry contacts, you can "slave" another separate dumb relay off your fibaro switch 2. That would be connected as your test lamp is with your stoves wires switched on the slaved relays contact set.

Or (easiest route) you can buy a fibaro relay for the job .

You understand what they mean by "dry contacts"? The switch 2 contacts are feed internally off the Mains power that supplies the module,

Whereas in the fibaro relay it still has the Mains  supplying the module but you can feed the contacts with a unrelated supply ,eg your pellet stove control circuit.

Re the test light blinking, N and Q1 sounds correct.

In the device parameters  you want "momentary" for the "switch type" if you plan to wire it to a thermostat.

Hi Jamie, Thank you for your reply

I did think about adding a "Dumb Dry Switch in the same box as I would the switch 2. However I was hopping for a 1 unit solution for elegance and practicality.  I plan a similar solution to power my HTPC (by intercepting the power button at the front of it) and I was thinking that a large square box containing the switch 2 and the dry switch would look awful on my media stand.

Re your comment to N Q1 are you suggesting that I connect the thermostat wires to the switch 2 to the S1 and N?

Thank s again

• Inquirer
  • Hello Jamie,

The old thermostat was an external thermostat to the stove and was battery powered. I was programmable and it died a sudden death.

This is the main reason I started to consider HA. because spending 145 euros on a thermostat I said to myself better to start with a small HA solution. Then I decided on the vera plus (only 89 euros)

So I Purchased the vera plus and 2 of fibaros double switches and  2 temperature sensors ( because I have 2 stoves)

The old thermostat was connected to the stove by 2 wires an was only activating the stoves internal board,  these 2 wires do not carry power. the stove gets its power from the mains trough a separate cable.

Thank you mate for your prompt reply

Right.

Try and exchange you switch2's for  fibaro relays they have a dry contact set easy your stove wires would go to terminals "in" and "q1"

• Inquirer
  • Thank you Jamie

This is exactly what I was looking for 

I would then buy a fibaro Relay switch (any specific model number?) and connect the 2 stove wires to this switch and non need to connect the mains wire... Great

Have a great Day

32 minutes ago, bikerdude said:

are you suggesting that I connect the thermostat wires to the switch 2 to the S1 and N?

Just for the record that would cause a direct short not a good idea.

• Inquirer
  • Hi Jamie

I looked at the schematics of this switch is the connection to a "push button" switch essential. Although i see the break (switching point) in the body of the FGS212 nowhere in the documentation does it say that this is a dry switch and does not show a diagram for it.. Pity for the incomplete documentation. Thanks again

William

4 hours ago, bikerdude said:

Hi Jamie

I looked at the schematics of this switch is the connection to a "push button" switch essential. Although i see the break (switching point) in the body of the FGS212 nowhere in the documentation does it say that this is a dry switch and does not show a diagram for it.. Pity for the incomplete documentation. Thanks again

William

Switch connection optional if you want local control.

No the drawing shows a dry switch that has had a loop connected to the "in" from the "live"