Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Can switches control inputs?

kjetilhansen

Question

Hello! :)

I got myself an UBS and just wondered, there are two inputs, and two outputs... Can I use, say a doorbell button for the inputs and and the doorbell for the output? (if the doorbell draws more than 150mAh then use the UBS to control a relay)

Will this work? When I hooked the doorbell button up to the inputs and finally managed to include the sensor it said that there was 2 IR sensors and one remote control thing... 

When I finally managed to remove the sensor (had to force remove) I can't include it again :P 

6 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Hello! Super! If I understood right I can control the outputs from fibaro HC2? The link you gave me sais 

The signal at IN1 is repeated at OUT1 electrical output.

But it would be completely unlogical if the fibaro UBS just sends the signal directly through.. 

But prefect. I want to connect the button on the input and the bell (through relay) on the output, and have a scene that if you ring the bell after 23:00 the output will not close and the bell will not chime. 

Hello @kjetilhansen,

I will add few points to that:

1.  I would like to remind, that inputs are directly connected to outputs, so UBS is just a binary reader. There is no control of inputs on Fibaro UBS. It may be possible on UBS 2, when Fibaro decide to come up with UBS on Z-Wave 500 (Z-Wave Plus).
    2.  You could connect doorbell button to UBS and possibly through association turn on Fibaro Switch or Fibaro RGBW (12/24V). Or use it for scenes.

Regards,

Jakub

• Inquirer
  • Ah that sucked.. Then I will just cross my fingers for that Fibaro makes it so you can control outputs in the future :)

I have 2 projects, one is the doorbell, but the main reason for I am using it is because I have an electronic doorlock and want a scene where when I go outside a GPS radius and return on my doorstep and presses the doorbell 3 times (scene activation) the door unlocks. But it would be silly if the doorbell chimes 3 times as well :P

The other project is a mailbox notifier I am making, combining Fibaro and LoRa (long range) for mail notification when the mailbox is in use. This also uses the UBS, I could get away with just the inputs but I have made in my schematic that there is an electronic lock so you can unlock the mailbox through scenes. Like if you use GPS you can unlock the mailbox when you are next to it. 

This will not work as the UBS clearly don't support that either. 

Luckily there is the Z-UNO, this is completely overkill, but it does the job and more. Also, (at least in norway) the price is almost the same.

Hi,

What is not clear to me from reading the manual, and this goes for the old UBS (FGBS-321) as well as for the new one called Smart Implant (FGBS-222), is if OUT1 and OUT2  are only controlled by IN1 and IN2 or if they can be controlled from the controller or association groups without IN1 and IN2 being connected to anything.

I assume so, otherwise the unit would not make any sense to me at all, but it does not say so in the manual, it actually looks like OUT is only reflecting IN.