Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Roller Shutter 2 in combination with GRIESSER motor (RF, no switches)

MTressl

Question

Hi all

my house has Griesser outside blinds (griesser.ch), all of them currently have a RF remote to control them. I want to add voice control via Fibaro Roller Shutter modules + Alexa, and eventually more smartness through a Netatmo or similar.

Now my problem is: since all is RF controlled, I don't have switches to add the Fibaro modules.

I found the wires going to the motors of the blinds, but they only have 3 lines (green/yellow, blue, brown). Anything you think I can do?

Thanks, Markus

17 answers to this question

Hi Mtressl,

Griesser mounts controllers from the company ELERO.

You should have something like this mounted before the motor: 

Please login or register to see this link.

The three wires you are mentioning are just the power supply of the receiver that controls the motor. 

power (three wires: phase - ground - neutral) -> controller (four wires: ground - neutral - phase up - phase down) -> motor

The only way for you to control your blinds via Fibaro is to remove the original controller installed by Griesser and replace them with the Roller shutter module before the motor.

I'm gradually changing all of my Griesser controller with Fibaro and everything works great.

Let me know if you need more details.

• Inquirer
  • Thank you so much for your response @Inblue.

Seems like we are in the same boat here in Switzerland. I contacted the GRIESSER support but did not get a reply.

On 5/29/2018 at 9:40 PM, Inblue said:

power (three wires: phase - ground - neutral) -> controller (four wires: ground - neutral - phase up - phase down) -> motor

I will check my wiring situation on the weekend, always thought it was 3 in and 3 out (so no up/down signal), hopefully I am wrong.

One more question: since you are replacing your GRIESSER controllers with the Fibaro, how do you seal them and make them weather resistant?

At least for me they are outside, just under some kind of cover which for sure is not water proof.

Thanks, M.

• Inquirer
  • On 5/29/2018 at 9:40 PM, Inblue said:

Hi Mtressl,

Griesser mounts controllers from the company ELERO.

You should have something like this mounted before the motor: 

The three wires you are mentioning are just the power supply of the receiver that controls the motor. 

The only way for you to control your blinds via Fibaro is to remove the original controller installed by Griesser and replace them with the Roller shutter module before the motor.

I'm gradually changing all of my Griesser controller with Fibaro and everything works great.

Let me know if you need more details.

Ok, I just ordered the two Hirschmann plugs needed to bypass/remove the ELERO controller.

We will see how this works as a proof of concept.

Still not clear how I can seal the Fibaro module properly, but that'll be my next project after the POC.

• Inquirer
  • So just for documentation and if anybody looking to do the same:

Replace the GRIESSER remote elements with the Fibaro Roller Shutter modules as described above. Works like a charm.

For outside placement of the Fibaros I got the WISKA IP66 cases: 

Happy smart home automation!

I am so happy stumbled upon this thread :) Just moved into a new apartment and we have the elero modules with RF remotes (which means no wall switches.

I found this picture online and would like your input if I get it right.

So right now, the Hirschman going TO the Motor  from Elero has 4 wires, Neutral,Ground, Up, Down.

The Hirschman going into the Elero has 3 wires Phase,Neutral,Ground.

Based on the image attached, I would just need to reconnect the 3 going TO the Motor with Fibaro and split the phase..am I correct?:)

If its not too much to ask for, as I can that you do know what you are doing ;) if you could create a small step by step image tutorial?

Thanks!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by Matts

• Inquirer
  • I will create a step-by-step wiring example once I get home, sure!

But basically you are correct with your description.

1 hour ago, MTressl said:

I will create a step-by-step wiring example once I get home, sure!

But basically you are correct with your description.

You are my hero :) Thank you very much!

• Inquirer
  • @Matts

Here are two pictures of my proof of concept wiring. The ready final ones are already in place outside or not yet ready, but this one has the clearer wires anyhow. And it's dead simple.

So these are the wirings of the STAS/STAK plugs. The one on top is the 4-wire one towards the motor, the bottom one towards power.

I wired them according to the ELERO manual, which you can Google if needed.

Here you have the wiring of the Roller Shutter (from right to left): the two blue one together, then brown from the power side. Up/down to the motor are 3rd and 4th, and their order does not matter (at least for me, since I can change direction in my Homee configuration later).

In the end I put everything in the second picture in the WISKA IP66 case and connected the yellow/green wires as well in there.

Easy as pie... :-)

Let me know if you need further help.

• Thanks 1

17 hours ago, MTressl said:

So these are the wirings of the STAS/STAK plugs.

Those are great :D. I'm using them in Fibaro demo/training models, Futurenow model and KNX model.

Photos of 2 of 3 models are below as spoiler. Inside are newest Fibaro roller shutters.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

On 6/19/2018 at 8:34 PM, MTressl said:

@Matts

Here are two pictures of my proof of concept wiring. The ready final ones are already in place outside or not yet ready, but this one has the clearer wires anyhow. And it's dead simple.

So these are the wirings of the STAS/STAK plugs. The one on top is the 4-wire one towards the motor, the bottom one towards power.

I wired them according to the ELERO manual, which you can Google if needed.

Here you have the wiring of the Roller Shutter (from right to left): the two blue one together, then brown from the power side. Up/down to the motor are 3rd and 4th, and their order does not matter (at least for me, since I can change direction in my Homee configuration later).

In the end I put everything in the second picture in the WISKA IP66 case and connected the yellow/green wires as well in there.

Easy as pie... :-)

Let me know if you need further help.

Hi again!

One last question and thanks for the info so far. Do you have physical switches or RF? the reason for asking. The guys who installed this,said that you cant install fibaro after the RF controller as it will "fry it" I doubt that as they should both work on the same voltage. But they have both options to offer thats why I am unsure why they would be lying :)

• Inquirer
  • 1 hour ago, Matts said:

Do you have physical switches or RF? the reason for asking. The guys who installed this,said that you cant install fibaro after the RF controller as it will "fry it" I doubt that as they should both work on the same voltage. But they have both options to offer thats why I am unsure why they would be lying :)

Not 100% sure if I understand correctly:

- I have no physical switches at all in my installation, never had (always had the GRIESSER RF remotes)

- in the process, I replaced the GRIESSER/ELERO RF receivers with the Fibaro modules

- so now I basically have "power > Fibaro Roller Shutter > blinds motor" as my installation

- everything is controlled by my Hom.ee hub, all GRIESSER RF things gone, only the motor of the blinds is left

Hope that helps.

• Thanks 1

11 minutes ago, MTressl said:

Not 100% sure if I understand correctly:

- I have no physical switches at all in my installation, never had (always had the GRIESSER RF remotes)

- in the process, I replaced the GRIESSER/ELERO RF receivers with the Fibaro modules

- so now I basically have "power > Fibaro Roller Shutter > blinds motor" as my installation

- everything is controlled by my Hom.ee hub, all GRIESSER RF things gone, only the motor of the blinds is left

Hope that helps.

Sorry for not being specific enough, but you answered my question correctly :) I intended to leave the ELERO RF in and just add the fibaro modul behind it (kind of daisy chain it) so that I could still use some physical remotes in case the fibaro system doesnt work and I have a backup (like you normally have with the wall mounted switches)

Have you encountered any issues with using only the Hom.ee hub without any physical switches? Or lets ask differently, have you got used to controlling everything with a smartphone only? :) Thanks for your reply!

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 34 minutes ago, Matts said:

Have you encountered any issues with using only the Hom.ee hub without any physical switches?

Absolutely no issues until now. We never had physical switches, just the RF remotes as up/down controls.

Everything is a lot smoother now since I also included a Netatmo weather station, therefore replacing the GRIESSER sun/wind detectors. Now I have control of up/down based on Netatmo and weather forecast by DarkSky within Hom.ee, and not the GRIESSER (not so smart) stuff... ;-) 

39 minutes ago, Matts said:

Or lets ask differently, have you got used to controlling everything with a smartphone only?

Yes, that was easy since it was pretty much only taking away the remotes (4 of them) and using one app instead.

On top, Hom.ee nicely integrates with Amazon Alexa and we actually use voice control a lot more than the app.

I can say the project is a huge success until now, even with my "not so tech" partner :-) 

She loves it (voice control, just like the lights), and appreciates the much smoother Hom.ee based routines (before it could happen that everything goes down/up/down within 10min or so).

On 7/26/2018 at 9:10 AM, Matts said:

Sorry for not being specific enough, but you answered my question correctly :) I intended to leave the ELERO RF in and just add the fibaro modul behind it (kind of daisy chain it) so that I could still use some physical remotes in case the fibaro system doesnt work and I have a backup (like you normally have with the wall mounted switches)

Have you encountered any issues with using only the Hom.ee hub without any physical switches? Or lets ask differently, have you got used to controlling everything with a smartphone only? :) Thanks for your reply!

Hi Matts,

I'm currently installing a Roller Shutter with ELERO as well & was wondering how you've set up the daisy chain?

Hey guys! Been a long time since my last questioning :D I finally ordered my Fibaro set and will be starting this project this weekend. However, before I proceed ,I would kindly ask for your input. 

As mentioned in the posts before, I would like to keep my RF remotes as a backup, if for example guests (grandparents etc) are in the house and they dont have the app installed to control the blinds.

So I came up with the following design and would to have your opinion if my thinking is correct. Sorry for the bad picture but I hope you get what I am thinking :)

Cheers,

Matt

• Like 2

Hello Matts,

just read this thread. At the end, were you able to setup both elero controller and fibaro ? I like the idea to have both in place.

thx

ste

Hey, I never went through with in the end and bought a Mediola Gateway which controlls the blinds. There were too many questions and possible issues so I went down the safe route :)