Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[SOLVED]GlobalCache IP2Serial to Cambridge Audio Amplifier

Guest andyhud

Question

Guest andyhud

Hi Guys

I have just got a second hand Global Cache IP 2 Serial Box so I can send Serial (RS232) commands to my Home Cinema Amplifier. I have a Cambridge Audio 640R which has an RS232 interface on the back

I've got the IP2Serial device on the network and hooked up my RS232 cable and downloaded the Global Cache "iTest" tool and connected to the IP2Serial device successfully.

I set the Baud Rate, Parity etc on the serial port to match the Cambridge Audio documentation for Serial Interface usage.

here is the link to the Cambridge Audio 640R Serial Command Guide: 

Please login or register to see this link.

if I use the iTest Application and as a test I can successfully run commands (ASCII) in the iTest Application to the amplifier, for example turning it on and off work fine. However , they only work fine if I have the tick box "Add Carriage Return" ticked in the iTest Application

For example, the ASCII Command to turn the amplifer on is "'#1,01,1" and to turn it off is "''#1,01,0" as per screenshot. If I leave the "Add Carriage Return" ticked, then it works. If I untick the "Add Carriage Return" it doesnt work.

As per the Serial Guide from Cambrige Audio, I've added "\r" onto the end, but also tried adding hex "0x0D" to no avail.

If I use Putty to connect to the IP2Serial device, I can successfully turn the Amplifer on and off as well but only after hitting Enter on my keyboard (i.e. a Carriage Return.

I tried to create a Virtual Device in HC2 to do this, but because I can't seem to send the Carriage Return it doesnt run the commands.

Does anyone have any advice on what to add for the Carriage Return? I've googled all afternoon with no luck. I've tried "\r" "\n\r" "13" "0D", "0x0D" and different options, but none work. It only ever works if I use Putty and hit Enter on my keyboard or use the iTest Application and leave "Add Carriage Return" ticked.

I'm connecting on the IP of the IP2Serial Device and Port 4999 (which is Serial 1).

I dont think this is a Fibaro issue as I can't seem to get it work in the iTest application if I untick the "Add Carriage Return", so just need to find a way to add that, or via the HC2.

Any help appreciated.

Thanks

Andy

I have jusgot t

Please login or register to see this attachment.

6 answers to this question

Hi @andyhud,

Did you tried send command in HEX format (example: 0x00, 0x01, ...)? Tomorow i will check, if i still can run more than 8 commands through my GC iTach Flex.

For creating functional RS-232 commands and testing them, i'm using this jewel:

. Also, it is great as "debuging" tool, when you connect GC with PC via serial cable.

And this cable we have in office for testing:

Regards,

Jakub

@andyhud

for RS232 i use the following code:

Its sending the command in ASCII format.

Just change the IP of the VD to the IP of your Global cache module.

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_05/Screen1.JPG.37d2921b4e0fe75a1833c850ed367f48.JPG" style="width:651px;" width="756" />

Change the ASCII command to the one you want to send.

Screen2.JPG.453b594a29aa65ff1810ea6bc41e1b09.JPG

It also add's a Carriage Return if you like, and if you don't just command it out.

Do this for all the buttons you want to create.

For me, i didn't want to create a complete remote control for my Blu-ray player. I just made the buttons i needed for a Home cinema scene.

This is the VD i use:

Normally i would tell you the source where i got this code (and gave credits to the one who created it) but unfortunately i lost all my data i gathered over the year(s) because my NAS crashed this week.

Sad story...one of my disks died (4 bay NAS) and on top of that i had a power outage. When the power came back the NAS started normally and the disk who was faulty came back online too.

Result: The NAS started rebuilding of the wrong drive and i lost all my data (8TB)…..Sigh.... >.<

Anyway, have fun!

For me its working very good for a long time now.

greets,

Remi

Edited by Remi

Guest andyhud
  • Inquirer
  • Hi @jakub.jezek

I have tried using an ASCII to HEX converter for my ASCII command "#1,01,1" but that didnt work either sadly

@Remi - Thankyou so much for sharing your info, but sadly it still doesnt work. I downloaded the VD and added it just like normal

The IP of my IP2Serial device is 192.168.50.152. Port: 4999

I changed the commands for On and Off as shown in the screenshot

ON (in ASCII) = "#1,01,1"

OFF (in ASCII) = "#1,01,0"

if I add \r on the end it doesnt work either.

However, if I connect via Putty/Terminal Programs to my IP2Serial and run the commands manually, it works!

Many thanks for all your help

Andy

@andyhud

Strange, I gues its in the details, since this should work imo.

I use the same VD for different devices at home: Onkyo receiver, LG tv, Oppo Blu-ray player all with ASCII, and a Sony video projector with HEX code.

With all my devices I have to use the "enter" but have you tried it without the enter already?

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_05/Screen3.JPG.e016904005c1dc8b9475ee82115d36ae.JPG" alt="Screen3.JPG.e016904005c1dc8b9475ee82115d36ae.JPG" />

Change it to:

Screen4.JPG.37c87e830193518d3ab0f12417ca1d49.JPG

Good luck!

Guest andyhud
  • Inquirer
  • Hi @Remi

I've got it working. Not sure what it was, but it may have been open putty/iTest (GlobalCache app) connections to the IP2SL box. So I closed them all down, rebooted the IP2SL box, now it works with your VD within Fibaro :)

I've added it to HABridge and now I can control with Amazon Echo!

Thankyou again!

Andy