Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Max number of devices on HC2 + associated performance

alex88

Question

Hi,

I need some advice on my planned setup. Can someone please help?

I have 2x HC2:

- master with about 55 z-wave devices + 20 satel devices + about 10 other IP devices (Sonos etc) + all Scenes (about 50 + 50 scheduled tasks) and all panels 

- slave with about 80 z-wave devices only

I plan to add the following:

- master +20 satel + 10 IP devices + 5 scenes

- slave +95 z-wave devices

Outcome:

- master with about 55 z-wave devices + 40 satel devices + about 20 IP devices + all Scenes (about 55 + 50 scheduled tasks) and all panels 

- slave with about 175 z-wave devices

Currently the performance is:

- master runs between 20-30% CPU load; spikes at over 50%

- slave runs between 5-10% CPU load; spikes at around 20%

I don't have much of an option on the extra Satel and IP devices and scenes; given my setup they need to be on the master. In my setup the slave only deals with the z-wave devices now and I also plan for it to only deal with z-wave devices in the future.

The main question is on the additional z-wave devices. As I have stated above, I plan to add the extra 95 to the slave HC2:

a) Do you think this is a good idea? If not, what would you suggest?

b) I very reluctantly ask the question, would you suggest me buying a HCL for some of the additional 95 z-wave devices? 

I get I can just add the 95 devices to the slave and see what happens and then buy a HCL later and remove them from the slave and add them to the HCL, but I'd prefer to get it as close to right the first time. I also, don't want to buy more controllers right now given that the HC2 has been out for over 6 years..... I expect an upgrade must be coming in the next few years.

Regards

Aleks

3 answers to this question

I am no expert here in this forum as there are plentiful more knowledgeable then I am.

A quick look at what you have provided, I have these thoughts to share:

• What is the pain point(s) you are currently facing, if any?
  • HC2 is far more powerful and capable to run more than what you have. HC2 is an Intel board (until recent months or a year's HC2 shipments) with Intel processor. The key crippling I found during early days is that the 512MB or 1GB memory is insufficient and results in too many unnecessary I/O (swap space read/write) which indirectly hit on CPU resource. (I am from IT background for more than 1.5 decades on hardware architecture, etc). This may get deleted but I still want to share - upgrade memory to higher capacity than the default 1GB. Mine is with 4GB and no sweat to do complex scenes, etc thereafter.
  • Optimization of entire Z-wave setup such as polling interval, mesh-routing, wired z-wave node between far away battery-powered z-wave node, etc. There is a thread where 2 or 3 experts have shared a great deal on this topic. I see if I can search it and paste link here.

39 minutes ago, chaicka said:
  • Optimization of entire Z-wave setup such as polling interval, mesh-routing, wired z-wave node between far away battery-powered z-wave node, etc. There is a thread where 2 or 3 experts have shared a great deal on this topic. I see if I can search it and paste link here.

I would be very interested as well!

My Z-Wave rules of thumb: less than 5 modules, sometimes issues because not enough devices to cover all areas. Between 5 and 20...almost never issues. Between 20 and 50... sometimes trouble. Between 50 and 100 devices real "weirdness" starts and communication gets "fragile". Above 100 make sure you have the tools to diagnose network issues (ie sniffer, you can make one yourself) or get in touch with a good certified installer to support you (I am and end user, not an installer). I have participated in many topics regarding "delays" and it is never easy...

Edited by petergebruers
  • Thanks 1