Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Fibaro HomeKit bridge

jelockwood

In my opinion Fibaro should come up with a HC3 or something that has Homekit built in and still has the base on Z-Wave. Plus allowing for other protocols (Zigbee, RFX and so on) and some good plugins.

• Topic Author
  • @tcviper

Apple have blocked lots of other things for no obvious reason.

They block audio via HDMI on the classic Mac Pro. They now block HTML formatted email signatures in Apple Mail and so on.

They may decide when the HomeKit market is strong enough to block HomeBridge either for 'security' reasons or to force people to buy official solutions.

Edited by jelockwood

You say that correct, they 'MAY' or they may not :) It is always a gamble, just like if Fibaro could maybe remove support for one thing or another.

I again hope Fibaro will step up :)

Edited by tcviper

• Topic Author
  • 2 minutes ago, tcviper said:

In my opinion Fibaro should come up with a HC3 or something that has Homekit built in and still has the base on Z-Wave. Plus allowing for other protocols (Zigbee, RFX and so on) and some good plugins.

Pretty much what my original message that started this thready was suggesting. :)

• 5 months later...
    On 5/20/2019 at 2:43 PM, tcviper said:

Also on Homey here now (Pro version), love the Homekit/Google integration and amount of plugins and protocols available.

Fibaro takes way to long and still does not support simple things like Nest, I switched.

Also Apple is not gonna block Homebridge, ;) absolutely no reason to for them.

*> Home Assistant is way to complicated to setup plus creating flows (scenes) is way to difficult imo. Homey FTW! :)

I am beginner here, also looking for a way to integrate z-wave devices with home kit.

One thing I don’t understant, why do I need fibaro app on homey, I thought that z wave devices are compatibile with z-waves controllers.

On 11/5/2019 at 11:21 PM, Matko said:

I am beginner here, also looking for a way to integrate z-wave devices with home kit.

One thing I don’t understant, why do I need fibaro app on homey, I thought that z wave devices are compatibile with z-waves controllers.

it's going a bit off topic now, but Homey has a special Fibaro plugin so it can recognize and work better with specific Fibaro devices and all the features.

I was wait for this feature for years

Then I have made my own bridge for this

The problem is not only human-work-hours involved here, Apple HomeKit commercial products require MFi certification which is expansive and longterm procedure

I doubt Fibaro going to jump in this water

• Like 2

I've switched to Homey for now (Pro). Way more options and working like a charm, including Homekit integration.

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, tcviper said:

I've switched to Homey for now (Pro). Way more options and working like a charm, including Homekit integration.

I am sold out my old Homey and now I am thinking about Christmas :) Homey Pro and put to bed with a shovel FIBARO at all.

1 hour ago, tcviper said:

switched to Homey for now

Still a "terra incognitta" for me. I like industrial design more for housing. A white/colorfull ball looks odd for me.

About internal software in FIbaro (now) I have all I need. The biggest "fail" is the way LUA scenes are made. And I will be 100% happy, when I will be able to reproduce something like @jgab's rule (EventScript) inside Fibaro but not related to LUA at all.

I love the way EventScript describes automation rules in a single line of text. And its not necessary to run new process every time sensor detects an event saving CPU\mem resources.

1 minute ago, jack.daniels said:

Still a "terra incognitta" for me. I like industrial design more for housing. A white/colorfull ball looks odd for me.

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• 10 months later...

Hello All!

I try to find a solution for reverse connection.

I would need to controll a device in HomeKit from Fibaro. 

Has anybody found this kind of solution, bridge, Virtual Device, etc?

Thank you!

Krisztian

• Topic Author
  • 1 hour ago, krizso said:

I try to find a solution for reverse connection.

I would need to controll a device in HomeKit from Fibaro. 

Has anybody found this kind of solution, bridge, Virtual Device, etc?

I cannot comment directly about the Fibaro Home Center products but their other products e.g. Dimmers, Switches, Relays, Sensors cannot control HomeKit devices. 

If one of the above was however connected to a smart home hub and that smart home hub in turn was connected to HomeKit devices then you would be able to define rules so that if the Fibaro product did something e.g. detect smoke then it could tell e.g. a HomeKit light to turn on.

Similarly there is the Fibaro 'Button'. See -

https://www.fibaro.com/en/products/the-button/

This is available in both Z-Wave and HomeKit versions. The HomeKit version would of course be able to directly control HomeKit devices but the Z-Wave one would have to go via a suitable smart home hub.

On the topic of smart home hubs. HomeAssistant has the ability to connect HomeKit devices to itself as the hub. Most other smart home hubs e.g. Smartthings can only do the reverse which is advertise a non-HomeKit device to HomeKit via HomeBridge. I believe Fibaro Home Center can only advertise devices to HomeKit and hence cannot directly control 'real' HomeKit devices.

Nothing would prevent however using both HomeAsisstant and a Fibaro Home Centre. You could then link HomeKit devices to HomeAssistant and then share them via MQTT to the Fibaro Home Centre.

20 hours ago, jelockwood said:

You could then link HomeKit devices to HomeAssistant and then share them via MQTT to the Fibaro Home Centre.

OMG!

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

On 10/1/2020 at 12:14 PM, jelockwood said:

On the topic of smart home hubs. HomeAssistant has the ability to connect HomeKit devices to itself as the hub. Most other smart home hubs e.g. Smartthings can only do the reverse which is advertise a non-HomeKit device to HomeKit via HomeBridge. I believe Fibaro Home Center can only advertise devices to HomeKit and hence cannot directly control 'real' HomeKit devices.

Nothing would prevent however using both HomeAsisstant and a Fibaro Home Centre. You could then link HomeKit devices to HomeAssistant and then share them via MQTT to the Fibaro Home Centre.

It is a very strange situation because Fibaro fo HomeKit device. So Fibaro somehow able to manage devices wich connect to HomeKit smarthub.

So I hope there will be a solution to manage these HomeKit device from HomeCenter also.

• Topic Author
  • 9 minutes ago, krizso said:
    On 10/1/2020 at 11:14 AM, jelockwood said:

It is a very strange situation because Fibaro fo HomeKit device. So Fibaro somehow able to manage devices wich connect to HomeKit smarthub.

So I hope there will be a solution to manage these HomeKit device from HomeCenter also.

This is what using Home Assistant and MQTT lets you do. As mentioned uniquely it is possible to add HomeKit devices to Home Assistant using one of the Home Assistant modules. It is then possible to share the HomeKit device from Home Assistant to another smart home system using the standard MQTT software. You would set up the Fibaro Home Centre so it also supports MQTT and can then use the HomeKit devices shared via MQTT from Home Assistant.

Then you can define rules in Home Centre so that the action of a Fibaro device triggers a setting for the HomeKit device e.g. as per the example I gave if the Fibaro smoke sensor detects smoke it could turn a HomeKit light on.

As you can imagine with this involving numerous different systems and products it is not the easiest thing but it seems to be the only way to do what you requested.

• 2 months later...

hello everybody, the solution to bridge FIBARO HC2 or/and HC3 to Homekit is Homebridge, I know that Homebridge is referred previously to this topic, bit I would like to give some more information for those may be interested. Hombridge can be installed in almost every OS platform such as Windows, Macintosh, Ubuntu, Debian etc. but in order to be online and accessible computer running Homebridge must not get in sleep mode at all. Thats way people prefer to install it on raspberry running Homebridge 24/7 with no any problem, no power consumption. So far Im familiar on how to install Homebridge to Mac OS and Uuntu/Debian, and can say that's not that much tricky. Recently I bought a raspberry Pi 4 /2GB edition (pretty cheap considering what offers back) and I got all my fibaro modules and devices working under Homekit, plus some extra smart lamps I can't integrate to Fibaro. The solution to those they re not interested to learn how to install Homebridge, is HOOBS. HOOBS is an organisation that offers an already installed Homebridge to Raspbian OS without GUI (graphics user interface) that is ready to work since you write the downloaded .img file to an SD card and run the raspberr, then you can access it whenever you want via your computer.