Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Aeotec Heavy Duty Smart Switch Gen5 with Home Center

adamgab

Question

Hello Everyone. 

I am relatively new to Fibaro, but have quite a few devices now configured.  I am now looking to enable control of a 15AMP heat pump that is used to warm my swimming pool. 

I found the AEOTEC HEAVY DUTY SMART SWITCH GEN5 - 

Please login or register to see this link.

This seems absolutely perfect, but it does not appear to be compatible with the Fibaro Home Center. 

When I add the device I get an error "Learning Mode Error" and the device fails to add. 

Is there any way around this ? I am in desperate need of making this device work :-) 

Excuse my ignorance, I am still not across collecting log info or troubleshooting join problems. 

Thanks for the help. 

11 answers to this question

I'm using this, works like a on-off switch in Fibaro, says not configured, but works well.

Please login or register to see this link.

And, you don't have to find a way to clamp on the supplied screw hooks that come with the Aeontec

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_07/image.png.75be381330d2e961113ac76aafd98ca6.png" alt="image.png.75be381330d2e961113ac76aafd98ca6.png" />

image.png.21958bd82eb2f9c874a601503f042d21.png

• Inquirer
  • Unfortunately I don't seem to be able to find that one in my region. I also already have the Aeotec switch.  I was able to wire in the Aeotec just fine anyway. 

My problem is I just can't get it paired with the HC2, When I add the device I get an error "Learning Mode Error" and the device fails to add.

Would love some feedback on how to actually troubleshoot this scenario.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @spazpeker,  did you have any problem joining it to your HC? 

i also have the heavy duty switch working fine on a 4.17 HCL with no issues. adding was straight forward. 

try to exclude and then re add to fibaro. i tried to look for a reset procedure in its manual cant find any. but this is what i'd do next. 

Hello @adamgab!

I have 3 Heavy duties working on a HC2, i found some troubles adding the last one to my HC2.

When i put the HC2 in add mode i turned on the heavy duty but the process of adding the device was ethernal, so i ust turn off and on again the heavy duty and the process finished correctly, now its working as expected.

- To add some info, the device was about 20m from my HC2 with two stone walls between them.

- The device is connected directly to my main connections box with 10mm cables (earthline included).

The other 2 heavy duties i have, paired with no problems.

Dunno if this will work for you your problem seems more like the device is not being correctly added or has some king of error configuring it. I suggest you to remove the device (seems to be added in your screen) and then add it again to your HC2.

• Inquirer
  • Thank you @Ultimattum !!!

I have now tried an exclude and re-add as per @zeids recommendation, but it still fails during the adding process. 

For the record, after adding, I get the "learning mode error" and then no device is actually added at all. When I do the exclude / remove, this completes successfully. 

Support have been on and flashed the z-wave chip and are suggesting there could be a fault in my HC2. 

My device is only about 10m from the hub and I have another zwave switch in an IP rated box that works fine a few metres further away. 

I will try resetting power again and see how I go. 

Good to know that it works, at least I can be sure I am not wasting my time trying to get it going. ''

Thanks all for the replies !!! I will post back once I know the cause.

Edited by adamgab

Do you have any other device paired with your HC2? if yes, then the HC2 can not be the problem, may the heavy duty is malcfunctioning.

Hope you fix the problem early!

2 hours ago, Ultimattum said:

Do you have any other device paired with your HC2? if yes, then the HC2 can not be the problem, may the heavy duty is malcfunctioning.

Hope you fix the problem early!

the hc2 firmware can be the problem, it is not the first time that certain devices can be added in a older firmware version and some versions later can not be added.

• Inquirer
  • I gave up trying to get this device paired with my home center. If any one wants to buy it I have one available basically never used.

I tried everything and actually sent my switch to the retailer I purchased hc from and they were also unable to pair.

I've since just moved to using contactor relays to do what I was trying to do. 

Also @Gerd.Schadler there is a button on the heavy duty switch. That is used for pairing as well as turning it on and off.