Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Controlling 12V DC Solenoids

slowpoke115

Question

I've purchased 2x 12v DC solenoids after reading a guide relating to garden irrigation online. The guide is over 3 years old and I've since read that this fibaro relay switch will not work with DC; is this still true? Should I be looking at a different product? Do fibaro offer any alternative products I could use to achieve the same goal? Or should I look to purchase AC solenoids or perhaps a higher voltage?

Thanks

Hi
No switch can not be used, try looking at Fibaro "RGBW Controller"

Please login or register to see this link.

I use it to control led light and to regulate a peltier element.

@slowpoke115

You need to get relay with dry contact.

1. Fibaro first generation switch FGS-212/222 will do the work.

2. Qubino has new z-wave plus dry contact switch

, which fits your needs.

Edited by cag014

7 hours ago, slowpoke115 said:

This looks like it won't support 12VDC? I'm still not sure I'm buying the right thing here, the RGBW controller will at least take the voltage, but looks more like it's aimed at controlling LED strips :/

It does support 12VDC.

I want to suggest  solution that will work 100% :

Use any z-wave switch to control any dry contact switch and than you can provide any voltage and current.

Capture.PNG.ea2b0480b74a9cf3a9e12f3f2f0d8240.PNG

Have same relay, no issue with inclusion... by the way is it work manually ?

Wait a minute.. you wrote 12VDC connected to N and L ? It is wrong....

You should connect 220 VAC to N and L

The +12VDC you need to run through  Q^ and Qv.

See diagram below for your connection (I1 and I2 you can leave disconnected, I believe you don't need to control solenoid manually)

Please login or register to see this image.

/monthly_2018_08/Capture.PNG.e970409768b4f701c61951059dc176c5.PNG" width="272" />

Edited by cag014

• Inquirer
  • But then I can't add it to the sprinklers panel... Do aeotec or qubino do anything? Should I buy different solenoids (perhaps AC?) Any advice at all?

You can also try and IP solution, like arduino connected to your network controlling 2x solenoids by relays or .... a solution like this from devanttech

RJ45 version: 

wifi version: 

The you make an VD in the HC controller

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • 16 hours ago, cag014 said:

@slowpoke115

You need to get relay with dry contact.

Qubino has new z-wave plus dry contact switch

, which fits your needs.

This looks like it won't support 12VDC? I'm still not sure I'm buying the right thing here, the RGBW controller will at least take the voltage, but looks more like it's aimed at controlling LED strips :/

I'm now interested in the solutions like the devanttech relay boards. I've been still weighing up a bus system over the z-wave due to a lot of negative feedback i have seen on this forum regarding bugs and firmware upgrades. 

I would like to have little to no battery powered devices in my home automation solution, and while the cost of z-wave devices is still quite high, especially in Australia, there are literally thousands of hard wired solutions that come at a substantially lower cost like reed switches, limit switches, proximity, temperature, standard relays etc. Plus my background is 'trade' based, so I am familiar with the traditional components of automation.

I am still in the early stages of system design, and currently lack the experience in the programming/software field, however, I believe a robust, cost effective solution  needs to involve hard wired devices where possible. I have opted to go for the HC2 as the main hub, but would really like to integrate more traditionally hard wired devices, and have the HC2 control them. 

Would integrating something like the relay boards via http with VD be something that a beginner could hope to achieve in the first 6-12 months of unboxing the HC2?

Every time I end up ready HTTP the forum thread goes into security/port forwarding/hacking issues and i get totally lost. aarggh

AU $167.43AUD  For an 8 channel relay board. 

If that were C-Bus a 12 channel relay with power supply is $900AUD

For 6 Fibaro Relay2, $630AUD

Uses would be to initiate water valve, garden lights, exhaust fans, under floor heating...so would need to factor in cost of interposing relays if switch contacts required a higher rated contact.

• Inquirer
  • Well the RGBW controller works (I'd already ordered it), but it doesn't work with the sprinkler panel unfortunately, this leaves me with three choices; get a refund, make a virtual device which has the same sprinkler functionality as the fibaro sprinkler panel or hack the RGBW controller to work as a switch rather than a dimmer. 

• Inquirer
  • @cag014 I've now got a qubino flush 1D relay, sadly inclusion doesn't work; any clues at all? I've got my 12VDC power supply (+ connected to N, - connected to L); but not got anything at all, even after holding down the button on it for 2 seconds... This whole process has been a bit of a disaster so far :(

That's correct the terminlas L / N needs to be connected to either 230V or 24VDC (+24DC to N and -24DC to L), otherwise you hav to use the above diagram from @

@slowpoke115 , I have a 4 zone sprinkling system running and working, and, I did face the same challenges as you have.

If I may advice you, forget about the sprinkler panel, you don't need it, go for virtual device instead.

The heart of the sprinkler system is the ETH008 relay board, I even wrote a virtual device for it which you can download here : 

This virtual device is just for testing the board but it shows the actual relay status as well.
    In my system I have a "transformed" version of this VD running which I can send you, It contains more controls for the sprinklers.
    Advantage of going for a VD is that you have total control over the system and you can make it more advanced (for example, my sprinklers turn off when the washing machine starts because low water pressure)

Forget threads about http port forwarding, security, etc..... you have nothing to do with that because you won't make the ETH008 board available to the internet/outside world directly.
    It is the same like with all my camera's , they are not directly connected to the internet but only via te HC2 (and synology surveilance station)

The ETH008 controls the valves, the main valve and the pump and it works very very well, always, never had any problem with it....

Other advantage, you can use another system (nas, or Rpi , App or whatever) to build in a failsave to turn off the relays after an "x" amount of time, just in case your HC2 crashes when sprinklers are running or whatever...

I can tell you more about the system if you like, please let me know....

• Inquirer
  • @Vinisz I'm not using an ethernet switch; the idea was to avoid complexity/wiring/coding - not add to it. I realise there are lots of other (possibly better) options out there, most of which are open source. My aim was to at least get a 12VDC solenoid to switch on and off with zwave, nothing more.

3 hours ago, sonnyboy said:

@cag014
    Du you have a link to somy dry contact switch?
    This is very useful :)

@sonnyboy

Here few links

and of course fibaro FGS-212/222