Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wall plug - wifi instead of z-wave

The Emil

Question

Hello, 

Today I have a HC2 with a lots of z-wave devices (Fibaro walls plug, motion sensors...). That works perfectly in the main building. Now I need a wall plug in another building 100 meters away. To far for z-wave. That building is on the same wifi as the main building and all wifi gadgets (camera...) work there.

Does anyone know how to get a HC2 controllable wall plug in that building? As I see it, my "options" are:

1. Find a HC2 compatible wifi wall plug

2. Find a wifi wall plug with an open api and do a little LUA programming in HC2

3. Find a way to extend the z-wave network over tcp/ip. 

This must be a common problem for all with several small buildings (garages etc.)

20 answers to this question

if youre controller is a hc2 (not a hcl) you can use another hc2 or hcl, that one you can use as slave controller.

• Inquirer
  • Yes, of course, but it would be quite an expensive and complex solution for one (1) wall plug. :)

we'll it depends,

a wall plug cost 60 euro?

in the netherlands you can buy a hcl for about 150 euro's on the secondhandmarket.

but then you can add everything you want in that building.

perhaps a wifi plug do, just google them and you will find plenty of them.

• Inquirer
  • The HC Lite will be my backup solution. As you say, there are a lot of wifi wall plugs out there. But none of those I found can be controlled from HC2. And none seems to have an open rest API. 

Tp-link and d-link for example, but then you have to switch to another system. 

Edited by The Emil

@akatar 80eur? WiFi plug from SonOff 20usd (aliexpress) or buy esp8266 (about 2usd) + relay (2usd)

@The Emil just search in forum. For example I was provide code for China SonOff devices.

Btw, I was wrong 5-20usd 

Please login or register to see this link.

2 hours ago, 10der said:

@akatar 80eur? WiFi plug from SonOff 20usd (aliexpress) or buy esp8266 (about 2usd) + relay (2usd)

@The Emil just search in forum. For example I was provide code for China SonOff devices.

Btw, I was wrong 5-20usd 

80 euro's?  it wrote 60 euro's and i ment a fibaro wallplug for 60 euro

2 hours ago, 10der said:

Btw, I was wrong 5-20usd 

i would not buy nor use Sonoff, just because of missing CE or any other approval.

For cheap, but at least approved in Germany, WiFi wallplugs one can take Model 2291706 from OBI Market:

it does contains as well ESP8266, like Sonoff, and can be flashed with other firmware - but as i said, the hardware is at least (more or less - i don't like no name parts) ok

• Thanks 1

nice! thank you!

it does contains as well ESP8266, like Sonoff, and can be flashed with other firmware - but as i said, the hardware is at least (more or less - i don't like no name parts) ok

Please login or register to see this spoiler.

• Inquirer
  • It seems like the Sonoff plugs are worthless if you dont flash them. All I want is to be able to send a http command for "on" and "off" from HC2. Flashing/hacking/patching would be too time consuming. Then it would be "cheaper" (counting my time as money) to buy a Home Center Lite and install it in my second building. 

Does anyone know about a wifi wall plug with an out-of-the-box http interface for on/off?

Just now, The Emil said:

Does anyone know about a wifi wall plug with an out-of-the-box http interface for on/off?

yes :)  (irony)

here is

plus

Please login or register to see this code.

• Inquirer
  • Great ;) (irony).

Another way could be finding a wall plug out-of-the-box compatible with IFTTT. Then control it from HC2 via ifttt (http). 

sorry, is not clear for me... why are you asking IFTTT compatibly? why don't you trust FIBARO gw?

IMHO you should find pure (without clouds / etc) HTTP controllable plug as for me... 

and simple control it via FIBARO UI from any spot of the Earth

• Inquirer
  • Well, it would be really great to skip IFTTT. The problem seems to be that there are no such out-of-the-box wall plugs that have a http control interface. 

It is easy to say that I should be able to find such a wifi wall plug. But no one seems to be able to point one out. All plugs that I found so far are tightly integrated with the suppliers cloud service. So IFTTT is just a workaround solution as I see it.

for example

or

but it's DYI not plug. and yes, idk any plugs without app + cloud server.... alas

Edited by 10der

• Inquirer
  • Nice, but as you say it is DIY. It would be nice with this clean hardware with an ready to go EU plug :)

1 minute ago, The Emil said:

t would be nice with this clean hardware with an ready to go EU plug

look like need to create startup :D

Hey there

i have had a similar problem and I have used itttt which sends a trigger on the back of a scene. It integrates perfectly!

On 7/28/2018 at 11:08 AM, tinman said:

i would not buy nor use Sonoff, just because of missing CE or any other approval.

Hi @tinman,

don't know about your source, but i just got some Sonoff stuff and i see some approvals. Do you think it's fake?

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

@Bodyart sometimes ce means chinese export