Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How many volts from Q1/Q2 on Double Switch 2

k1s

Question

This may sound like a dumb question, but can somebody tell me... 

If I connect L & N to a plug and 240VAC wall socket and then use homecentre to switch on Q1, what voltage should I be seeing if I put a meter on N and Q1 and Q2 ?

(Currently I'm seeing between 3 and 7 volts when on BOTH Q1 and Q2 when I switch on Q1 or Q2)

5 answers to this question

you should not see any "volts", because having such questions you should not measure at all :( 

• Like 1

• Inquirer
  • That's an unhelpful response. Do you mean to say that your Volt meter doesn't register 240vac ? Mine does.

7 minutes ago, k1s said:

That's an unhelpful response.

I agree with @tinman  and I do believe he is giving you good advice... Get help from an electrician.

Can I explain why I come to this conclusion? Your multimeter has a very high input impedance, so it will pick up "voltage" through capacitive coupling. They sometimes call that stray or ghost voltage. The fact that you have to ask this question suggest to me you have experience with electronics, but not with mains electricity. If you connect a resistive load (like halogen lamp, not a LED or CFL) to Q1 as depicted in the manual, your voltage measurements would make more sense.  I'm 50 years old, I don't use a multimeter to check if a 230 V circuit is "live". I use a "voltage tester" or ... a light bulb!

Tell us what you are trying to find out. Maybe post a schematic. Tell us why you want to measure this.

• Inquirer
  • Why so arrogant both of you? I asked how much you would expect to see, not for an elementary physics lesson, or your derision and contempt.

The point is 3-7 volts is too high for ghosting and smacks of poor manufacturing quality if it's energising an output that it shouldn't be, by that much.

Never mind, I can see what kind of forum this is.

Goodbye

25 minutes ago, k1s said:

The point is 3-7 volts is too high for ghosting and smacks of poor manufacturing quality if it's energising an output that it shouldn't be, by that much.

Why do you think that is too much? If your multimeter has a 10 M input, the current flow "leaking"  is 0.3 - 0.7 micro-ampere. If I connect one pin of my multimeter to my body and the other to my laptop I get 9 V AC. I can try two other random wires in my house if you want me to do that...

You are talking about double switch, right, not about "Dimmer 2"? It  "leaks" more and some newer LED lights often advertised as "driverless" COBs might glow faintly in the off position.

What was the problem you were having, before you decided to measure that voltage in the "off" position?