Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

[VD] Google Home/mini, Chromecast

FSE

Question

Dear all,

as I'm new to this forum/project, I try to give something back as a way to learn deeper and return back the knowledge.

So here we have a VD of Google Devices. Till now is very basic but the idea is to put the spark on people. 

Google has a hidden local API for their devices. The magic is that Google Home/mini have a bluetooth interface that we can access and discover nearby BT devices. Still is under documentation/reverse engineer from Google Home community so it has basic functionality.

You can read more about this local API on: 

Please login or register to see this link.

What we have here: A VD that gets the SSID of Google Device is connected, the RSSI/Signal, the bluetooth scan results and the alarms that was set to Google Device.

For Bluetooth scan you need to add a scene that is triggered from VD so to perform BT scan. 

All project is under **very slow** development as I m on learning mode. My basic idea is to use google mini devices or GH as bluetooth scanners and in addition with ble tags to get presence/proximity detection, configure alarms and place night mode using VD. 

The Google Bluetooth Scene is very basic and are shown here

Please login or register to see this code.

Hope to inspire people!

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by korniza
  • Like 2

6 answers to this question

• Inquirer
  • Greetings,

as I get more google home devices on my house, I started to build a new device just for detecting Bluetooth beacons on the range of all google home devices I own.

I like to share it with you, even it is on a early stage. 

My road-map is to perform presence detection using BLE tags/mobile devices so to trigger alarm in case of absence.

Also as code can read signal strength of ble beacons on every google device, it can compare the reception and find where this device is placed on building.

On my tests till now, on a 80 m2 house, it seems good.

Till completion, please take a taste of code and I love to share your feedback

You need to create a variable table "GoogleDevTable"

after you need to create a scene and keep the id of this because it is required on the VD

[EDIT]

On first run you need to edit the devices, according to your setup and change variable updateData to True so to get the changes. 

Sorry for the bad documentation. I write these lines under fever..... :(

Please login or register to see this code.

import the following VD and add the scene id you created previously on BTScanSceneGH variable

Feel free to mod the code and share it !

Edited by FSE
    • Thanks 1

• Inquirer
  • Greetings,

I get a VD/scene under development that can use Google home devices as TTS. Also there will be a bluetooth (ble) presence detector build in. As it takes time and energy I like to ask people that own Google Home devices the following:

1. Do you use Google Home as bluetooth speakers?

2. how many Google Home devices you own?

3. Do you have any raspberry / small pc unit that run other automation tools (nodered for example)

4. Do you use any presence detection scene? if yes, what do you use as interface (bluetooth/wifi/geolocation/other)

5. Do you have HomeTable variable

All these question is a try to build the most compatible with user needs.

Sorry for not sharing code here but it is on early stages. It may get a beta version later before sharing on public.

Thanks for all the work, may i ask what the progress is?

1. Do you use Google Home as bluetooth speakers? Yes

2. how many Google Home devices you own? 3

3. Do you have any raspberry / small pc unit that run other automation tools (nodered for example)? Nope, but can be bought

4. Do you use any presence detection scene? if yes, what do you use as interface(bluetooth/wifi/geolocation/other) nah

5. Do you have HomeTable variable Nope

• Inquirer
  • Hi @rickydehaas ,

development is on freeze not because is abandoned but as I like to be aligned with UHAS and global functions, I try to build a framework/toolbox for Google Home. Due to limited resources, It takes a huge effort to be build. So the reason for this questionnaire is to get a clear image what users have and what is on the roadmap.

Till then you can play and discover how the previous code is fitting on your needs.

• Thanks 1

First of all, thanks for this tremendous breakthrough with Google's voice assistants. ?

1. Do you use Google Home as bluetooth speakers? Yes, sometimes

2. How many Google Home devices do you have? Yes, two google home and three google home mini

3. Do you have a raspberry / small PC unit that runs other automation tools (for example, no name) Yes, I have a 3b pi running homebridge

4. Do you use any presence detection scene? If so, what do you use as an interface (bluetooth / wifi / geolocation / other) No, I am in the study phase and search ..

5. Do you have a HomeTable variable? No