Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

How much power does the Dimmer Bypass 2 use?

Bludger

Question

G'day All,

I'm trying to work out if a Dimmer Bypass 2 will defeat the purpose of having low wattage LEDs.  Given the bypass is meant to give the appearance of a 50w load, what would happen if......

Say I have 1 dimmable 8w LED with a Bypass across it and the LED is on full. Will the circuit draw 8w, 50w or 58w?

Say I have 6 dimmable 8w LEDs with a Bypass across them and all are on full.  Will the circuit draw 48w, 50w or 98w?

If I use the Dimmer 2 controller just to switch the LEDs off and on, do I need to use a bypass?  Note that using the Single/Double Switch controller is not possible, since there is no Neutral at the switch.

Cheers,

David

Edited by Bludger
Better explanation

3 answers to this question

@Bludger Dont  think it changes you loads wattage, it doesnt work that way.

Required wether switching  or dimming with low load especially without neutral.

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Inquirer
  • Thanks @Jamie mccrostie.  I thought the bypass was simply a resistive load which stops the transformers from turning off at low current, but it sounds more complicated than that.  These days I'm a bit mindful of power consumption, so it's good they don't effect running costs.  I don't know what it's like in NZ, but here in OZ the cost of power from the grid has skyrocketed.  

Cheers

David

On 9/26/2018 at 9:25 AM, Bludger said:

Thanks @Jamie mccrostie.  I thought the bypass was simply a resistive load which stops the transformers from turning off at low current, but it sounds more complicated than that.  These days I'm a bit mindful of power consumption, so it's good they don't effect running costs.  I don't know what it's like in NZ, but here in OZ the cost of power from the grid has skyrocketed.  

Cheers

David

I thought the same thing many years ago and then thought that i would NEVER recoup the costs of the dimmer 2 module in terms of power saved throughout the years due to the change in LED bulbs. if they were still halogen i would be saving but the dimmer 2 module and the power saving cost is just a gimmick with LED.