Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Wall switch with Fibaro RGBW

mwoc

Question

I'm not sure why this is such a hard question to find an answer to online.  Can someone tell me what the setup looks like to control a Fibaro RGBW from a wall switch?  I completely understand that controlling colors would have to be done by the app and/or my zwave controller (smartthings).  For ease of use I want to be able to turn off and on the led lights as well as dim from a wall switch.  My understanding also is that I can set the color or scene that is the 'default' when the wall switch is used.   Do I use a dimmable power supply or constant current?  Do I use a zwave switch on the wall along with the rgbw module?  How do I associate them?  I appreciate any and all help.

14 answers to this question

Did you check manual here:

Please login or register to see this link.

Continue on this question.

Can anyone confirm that my idea is correct?

I want to dim all three(R, G, B) by holding down the wall button, just like you can do with a Fibaro Dimmer 2?

Wall Button is with a spring.

Please login or register to see this attachment.

Edited by flopp

I totally agree with you but the rgbw module doesn't seem to be thought all the way through in this matter. At least I can't for the life of me make this work. I have tried wiring as per your drawing and that doesn't work. The input's seem to (the docs sort of confirm that) be hardwired to their respective output and I can't see that it can be changed.

Only idea I have is to add fibaro switch or dimmer on the wall button and somehow associate that with the rgbw module. If anyone has a better idea or even a working sample that would be great.

1 hour ago, Jamie mccrostie said:

@Andri

That sounds logical, but then I'd have to have the Parameter 14 visible :)

After some further testing on this path I find this almost acceptable solution (would have liked dimmability as well and that it would actualy memorize the last brightness)

Keys: Toggle Switch with state memory

Mode: Brightness

can't see any difference between output state change mode

also worth a note is that when turning off I need to hold the toggle switch some 100ms longer down so the module picks up the toggle and turns off the lights.

Edited by Andri

@Andri  how did you sort this issue? I was trying to achieve a similar setup but it seems impossible to find the exact configuration I should use. To make things worse for me I am using a smartthings hub rather than a HomeCenter2 

Basically I wanted to control the LED strip colour from the app but use my normal lights switch to turn it on/off and if I could also dim from that as it is a momentary switch. It seems ultra complex however!!! 

Hey guys, 

I am trying to figure out where you are stuck. I have many RGBW modules installed, so may be able to help. 

There are different options for controlling led RGB or RGBW strips from a wall switch. They are described in the manual. 

You can have a single momentary /retractive switch and through the configuration either set it to brightness or rainbow. 

Brightness will allow you to dim up and down like a dimmer.

Rainbow will let you rotate colours and if you double click it will go to white. 

You can memorise last state so that the last colour you choose is remembered. 

If you have 4x switches you can control reach of the RGBW channels independently  I personally don't like this. I think it takes too long to get the colour you want. 

For my setup I usually use rainbow and then have a dimmer button from a nearby wall switch to run a scene to rotate through standard predefined colours and dim levels across multiple circuits in a room. 

Hi @amilanov I was reading your response with interest. 

I still have not resolved this issue.

Basically I have a spare retractive switch that I would like to use with my RGBW to module to control the unit, both in terms of switching it on/off but also maybe dimming.

The rest of the retractive switches I have linked to Dimmer2 modules to control spotlights etc in the room. They all work really well and I have them linked to a Smartthings hub to control scenes etc...

So the cable that I can link in to my Fibaro is a twin and earth but I was unsure if I can use the retractive switch or if I would have to swap it out for a simple toggle switch? What I can't do is alter the wiring as it is all buried in walls! 

So...

Can I just link the retractive switch to the RGBW module (without any power as the RGBW is getting 12v from the LED driver)  

But I am unsure what the wiring would look like or what config settings I might have to make to the RGBW. 

Any help would be gratefully appreciated :-)

My electrician did the wiring, so it's not that fresh to me.

I think from memory it's wired like fig 9 in the fibaro rgbw manual, but only using IN1 rather than IN1-IN4

In the config you just setup it up as momentary switch + rainbow or momentary switch + brightness.

You can then through 1x switch control the rgbw strip by either changing the colour when holding down or increasing/decreasing the brightness when holding down - just like the fibaro dimmer works.

There's not much more to it than that.

Hi. I have just posted this on the Vera forum, but thought I would put it here too as it might help:

I have just spent about an hour trying to figure out how to setup my new Fibaro RGBW controller. I thought I?d add it here so someone else might avoid the heartache I?ve just been through. 

My setup: I have an RGBW strip connected to a Fibaro RGBW controller. I wanted to have a single momentary switch to turn the LED on and off (as a backup to my controller should it be unavailable). I have the switch connected to Input 1 (In1). 

By default, the Fibaro is setup to use In1 to control Red, In2 to control Green, etc. So, my momentary switch was only controlling the Red channel, but all other channels would remain unchanged. 

To solve this, parameter 14 needs to be changed to Brightness mode. Brightness mode links all the channels, so if one is switched off, all go off. Perfect! Just what I needed

I wasn't clear how to do this. From the manual, I thought I just set parameter 14 to "2" and the unit would be in Brightness mode. It transpires that you are configuring all 4 inputs in one parameter. Each input is 4 bits, so you have 4 x 4 bits and have to set the appropriate value in each. 16 bits in total, so there are 2 bytes dec in this parameter. Once I realised this, the manual made a lot more sense.

To configure brightness mode, you need to set a value of 2 in each channel. So in binary this looks like:

"2" expressed in binary using 4 bits is 0010:
8  4   2   1
0  0   1   0 

So for my 4 channels I needed: 

Since this is all one number, you now need to translate the above into a decimal value from binary.

0010001000100010 in binary is 8738 in decimal. So, you need to set Parameter 14 to 8738 and a single momentary switch will control all channels for brightness (hold), and switch all channels on/off (single press). 

Note - I am using a MOMENTARY switch. If you are using toggles, you will need to change the values from 2 to 

How to achieve this in Vera UI7.
Open Device
Go to Device Options, then Add Configuration Settings
Variable 14
2 Byte Dec
Value: 8738
Save

Hope it helps. Best regards, Rob.

Dear all,

I have been reading many posts all over the internet, but I didn't find a new/pure answer (Or I got it wrong).

I want to be able to use a single momentary switch to control the brightness (1-100) of the color it is in at that moment.

Color I want to be able to set using smartphone or HC2.

• I have an Fibaro HC2
  • I have an RGBW 2 module
  • Momentary/pulse switch is connected to IN1 and to ground.
  • I have an RGBWarm-White Ledstrip connected to R-G-B-W.

That is all, how can I configure this without Parameter 14?

I am so confused.

Thank you! Really looking forward to your reply.

Okay, will be giving an answer to my own question;

What I want:

I want to switch my RGBW lighting with a button (preferably 3), where I want the RGBW lighting to remember the last color configuration it was in.

With this button, I would also like to have the ability to dim the lighting as I can do with the Fibaro Dimmer.

Problem description:

Per default (With a Homecenter 2 & Parameter 14 missing) this is not supported.

The Line in (1,2,3,4) correspondate only with the automatically mapped color (Red, Green, Blue, White).

If you attach a momentary switch to on of the lines, only thát color will light-up. 

The other problem is that the RGBW is an 12/24 volts system, if you live in (for instance the Netherlands) you don't want to have a 220volt and 24volts setup in the same system.(Later in time you might be confused and blow-up things).

How to solve:

The only way how to solve this with an HC2 is to use an extra Fibaro Dimmer (2) module (warning: This setup is only tested with a dimmer 2 module & RGBW 2 module)

This way, when clicking the switch attached to your dimmer will also activate your RGBW module.

The only issue I have noticed is that the signal from the dimmer module to the RGBW module is only send when you have released your button while dimming.
This makes it a bit tricky to get the correct brightness as you are used with the dimmer modules.

Step 1: Install your fibaro dimmer 2 how you would normally also install this, this can be standard or with multi-way switches. I have used this:

Step 2:  Install your fibaro RGBW 2 with the 12v/24v system with your leds, do not attach a switch, this is useless.

Step 3:  Configure your modules in Fibaro, make sure that you name the modules as  you can idenfity them, you will need these names in the next steps

Step 4:  Go into HC2 and open your dimmer device, go to Advanced and select "Setting Association"

Step 5:  Open ENDPOINT 0 , select Group 2 and now select your RGBW device

Step 6:  Press 'Save'

Step 7:  Check if it works.

This is how it works for me, I've made an sample setup where I have started with a normal 2-switch dimmer 2 setup. (dimmer 2 is underneath the bottem switch build-in).

On the top right corner, I've added the LED (24v) system with the RGBW 2 module. This is associated with the Dimmer 2 module.
I've kept the light attached, which is in this example a bit weird because you would probably only control the leds with it. But it does give a little bit more clarity towards the dimming.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Peter

On 12/26/2020 at 12:11 PM, petervanderpol said:

Okay, will be giving an answer to my own question;

What I want:

I want to switch my RGBW lighting with a button (preferably 3), where I want the RGBW lighting to remember the last color configuration it was in.

With this button, I would also like to have the ability to dim the lighting as I can do with the Fibaro Dimmer.

Problem description:

Per default (With a Homecenter 2 & Parameter 14 missing) this is not supported.

The Line in (1,2,3,4) correspondate only with the automatically mapped color (Red, Green, Blue, White).

If you attach a momentary switch to on of the lines, only thát color will light-up. 

The other problem is that the RGBW is an 12/24 volts system, if you live in (for instance the Netherlands) you don't want to have a 220volt and 24volts setup in the same system.(Later in time you might be confused and blow-up things).

How to solve:

The only way how to solve this with an HC2 is to use an extra Fibaro Dimmer (2) module (warning: This setup is only tested with a dimmer 2 module & RGBW 2 module)

This way, when clicking the switch attached to your dimmer will also activate your RGBW module.

The only issue I have noticed is that the signal from the dimmer module to the RGBW module is only send when you have released your button while dimming.
This makes it a bit tricky to get the correct brightness as you are used with the dimmer modules.

Step 1: Install your fibaro dimmer 2 how you would normally also install this, this can be standard or with multi-way switches. I have used this:

Step 2:  Install your fibaro RGBW 2 with the 12v/24v system with your leds, do not attach a switch, this is useless.

Step 3:  Configure your modules in Fibaro, make sure that you name the modules as  you can idenfity them, you will need these names in the next steps

Step 4:  Go into HC2 and open your dimmer device, go to Advanced and select "Setting Association"

Step 5:  Open ENDPOINT 0 , select Group 2 and now select your RGBW device

Step 6:  Press 'Save'

Step 7:  Check if it works.

This is how it works for me, I've made an sample setup where I have started with a normal 2-switch dimmer 2 setup. (dimmer 2 is underneath the bottem switch build-in).

On the top right corner, I've added the LED (24v) system with the RGBW 2 module. This is associated with the Dimmer 2 module.
I've kept the light attached, which is in this example a bit weird because you would probably only control the leds with it. But it does give a little bit more clarity towards the dimming.

Hope this helps!

Regards,
Peter

Can you please repost the image because the link is dead ?? 

Thank you !