Welcome to Smart Home Forum by FIBARO

Dear Guest,

as you can notice parts of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO is not available for you. You have to register in order to view all content and post in our community. Don't worry! Registration is a simple free process that requires minimal information for you to sign up. Become a part of of Smart Home Forum by FIBARO by creating an account.

As a member you can:

•     Start new topics and reply to others
  •     Follow topics and users to get email updates
  •     Get your own profile page and make new friends
  •     Send personal messages
  •     ... and learn a lot about our system!

Regards,

Smart Home Forum by FIBARO Team

Using Dimmer 2 without a controller

golightlygl

Question

Hi, I am rewiring my house and installing retractive three-way switches for the dimmers.  I do not yet have a home controller and want to add and automate the house in a measured and slow way over time.  But I need dimmer modules in the interim.  Can I use the Dimmer 2 modules behind an on-off-on retractive switch as a dimmer without connecting it to any Z-wave controller?  It seems as though I can from the manual but I need to set a parameter and I can't see how that can possibly be set without linking the module to a home controller system.

7 answers to this question

2 minutes ago, golightlygl said:

Hi, I am rewiring my house and installing retractive three-way switches for the dimmers.  I do not yet have a home controller and want to add and automate the house in a measured and slow way over time.  But I need dimmer modules in the interim.  Can I use the Dimmer 2 modules behind an on-off-on retractive switch as a dimmer without connecting it to any Z-wave controller?  It seems as though I can from the manual but I need to set a parameter and I can't see how that can possibly be set without linking the module to a home controller system.

Yes you can sw on and off and dim only but no parameter changes

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Inquirer
  • Thanks for the speedy reply.  So this will the "standard" setup and I won't need to set parameter 20 to inform the module what type of switch is connected?

• Inquirer
  • I was looking for a rocker switch where you push up quickly to turn on or hold to dim up.  Push down quickly to turn off or hold to dim down.  Switch returns to central position after pushing.  Would this work?

From experience they work really well with momentary push buttons quick push on and off double push full brightness and long push dim up and down

But I dont know re the switches your describing

Edited by Jamie mccrostie

• Inquirer
  • Hmm.  OK thanks for that.  Will consider that option.  But just so I am fully informed do you know if my previously preferred switch will work without the controller setting the parameter?